PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun wash question

Pages : [1] 2

cwpcasey
08-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Ive been looking at buying a foam gun so I went and looked at peoples write ups that use one, and the thing I noticed was most people use a soap in the gun and a different one to wash. Why? Or does it not really matter?

canairb
08-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I haven't done any searching on the subject, but it could be that some might use a high sudsing soap in the gun to get a lot of foam (which might be more expensive), and then another soap in the bucket to wash with.

If your not looking to get LOTS of foam, then it really doesn't matter. Just use a good quality soap.

After spraying down my cars with a high stream of water to knock off any grit, I then use the foam gun to foam, dwell and then wash with. I also have a bucket of clear water with grit gaurd to rinse the mitt after each panel.

When I feel like having fun and getting a lot of foam, I break out the pressure washer and foam cannon.

cwpcasey
08-21-2010, 10:54 PM
What is the advantage of letting if dwell? Brakes down the dirt better?

Phinox
08-21-2010, 11:13 PM
What is the advantage of letting if dwell? Brakes down the dirt better?

Letting the soap dwell on the car helps to loosen dirt and lift it away making it easier and safer to remove from the car.

BobbyG
08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
I think I'm becoming a little dense but I'm still trying to quantify the need for one of these guns and its benefits!

What does it do or do better than a regular wash?
According to Mike Phillips and others here, including me, less foam is preferable when washing.
Why do we preach the two bucket approach?
Do you foam and rinse?
Do you foam, normal wash, and rinse?
Are we just adding a worthless step?

Tell me what all the hoopla surrounding this latest craze is, this inquiring mind wants to know... :hungry:

Shade Tree
08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I think I'm becoming a little dense but I'm still trying to quantify the need for one of these guns and its benefits!

I don't know that it really does anything better other than the strength of the pressure washer you're using. For me, I'm able to get the majority of the surface residue lifted/removed from the paint & the wheel wells cleaned off with ease, usually. I still will wash the vehicle surface by hand.
According to Mike Phillips and others here, including me, less foam is preferable when washing.
The more foam, the more soap used. Foam it up & then wash with clean water.
The two bucket method (when adapted properly) will help to keep the dirty water from being reused on the surface of the vehicle. Dirty water bucket to rinse your wash mit, clean to continue washing the vehicle. Why put your wash mit in a bucket of dirty water & continue washing the vehicle with it, right?
Do you foam and rinse?
Depends on how dirty the vehicle surface is. Sometimes I will, but not very often. Normally I will foam the exterior surfaces & then either wash with clean water(2 bucket method) or rinse & then wash.
Usually.
That depends on your expertise, the needs of the vehicle surface and your style. I will always go the extra mile to ensure the vehicle receives the best treatment & I gain the maximum results.

Tell me what all the hoopla surrounding this latest craze is, this inquiring mind wants to know... :hungry:

The only thing I don't like about the foam gun is the short life span of the rubber gaskets within the coupler. Total PITA when one of those decides to blow out in the middle of a wash. :dunno:

ScottB
08-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I have had the same foam gun used 1-2 times weekly without issue since new. I use the same soap in it for presoak and also washing. You can add additional lubrication by adding some ONR too.

I like to presoak the entire car to allow the soap to loosen dirt and any emulsifiers to break down the dirt as possible. I then try to use a couple super soft and thick mitts or towels and a bucket of clean rinse water. I spray all panels and mitts prior to washing, panel by panel. I choose to change rinse water about 1/2 way for fresh. I can only offer it works for me and family and seems to work well.

kronos
08-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Do you foam and rinse?

In my opinion, these are the benefits I get out of it.

It adds lubricity and softens the layer of dirt/dust thus reducing the potential for swirls during the washing stage.
My foam gun doesn't really make foam, it's more of a soapy suds solution spreader. Foam cannons make FOAM! I also think Mike was referring to foam in the wash bucket that's created with a powerful blast of water. He prefers to use a sudsy solution to a bucket overflowing with foam.
I don't know. I only use one wash bucket with two grit guards.
Do you foam and rinse?
I foam the entire car, then I foam each panel ahead of my wash mitt, then rinse.
Yes.
You would have to try it for yourself, but I really like it. I know some here, like Dana, don't like the idea of using a foam gun, but this works for me.

Phinox
08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I use my Foam gun to soak the car down with wash solution. Then i wash as normal spraying the panels down as a wash them with the gun. I rinse my mitt in clean rinse water with ONR after every panel. The main advantage to this method for me is time cut wash and rinse time down to about half of what it was.

cwpcasey
08-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I
I don't know. I only use one wash bucket with two grit guards.

Why do you use two grit guards in one bucket? Not follow you on that on..

kronos
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Why do you use two grit guards in one bucket? Not follow you on that on..

Just an extra layer of protection. Like adding two coats of wax, to ensure uniform coverage. In my case, to prevent contaminants from getting in my wash mitt.

mtnbiker
08-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I use my Foam gun to soak the car down with wash solution. Then i wash as normal spraying the panels down as a wash them with the gun. I rinse my mitt in clean rinse water with ONR after every panel. The main advantage to this method for me is time cut wash and rinse time down to about half of what it was.

Love my Foam Gun. I recently began adding ONR to the soap & really noticed the added lubricity, & it does cut down on the wash/rinse time.

Old Tiger
08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
In the winter I use the gun , let dwell, rinse and then get the vehicle in the garage , close the insulated door and use a warm water ONR to wash. You might like this approach Bobby since you are getting on in years!Just kidding!

BobbyG
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
In the winter I use the gun , let dwell, rinse and then get the vehicle in the garage , close the insulated door and use a warm water ONR to wash. You might like this approach Bobby since you are getting on in years!Just kidding!

OH Man! Us young bucks are supposed to stick together!! :laughing: :laughing:

No where did I park my truck!! :doh:

Old Tiger
08-22-2010, 06:42 PM
OH Man! Us young bucks are supposed to stick together!! :laughing: :laughing:

No where did I park my truck!! :doh:
IMO a foam gun is fun in the summer but not really needed. In the winter it is a must for my old bones. I had no idea that you were a "mature" guy too. Like the country song We arent as good as we once were....