PDA

View Full Version : Can a rookie wax black plaint without causing swirl marks?

jdlynch
08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a black 09 Nissan Armada (a huge beast) that I have been absolutely scared to wax myself because I am afraid of inducing swirl marks into the paint.

At this time it is swirl free. I have had it professionally detailed twice so far by a detail shop that I discovered from this forum.

With my money being tight I would like to save some money and do it myself. I would appreciate any comments, tips or techniques that might help me decide if I should tackle the job myself or not.

Thanks in advance for any comments to help me learn how to do this.

Bonifax
08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
If you follow the proper technique you will have no problems at all. Please watch all of the instructional vídeos here at autogeek and you will soon master the art of detailing, good luck!

Jumpingbean
08-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm unsure of how you'd induce swirls by applying wax. As long as the paint is clean and your applicator is clean you'll be fine.

Dusty Bottoms
08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
As long as you use a proper applicator pad, and a quality microfiber towel, you shouldn't induce any swirls into your paint. Both the foam and microfiber applicators that AG sells are great, and will not mar your paint. I use the grey Cobra Microfibers for all of my wax and sealant removal.

Here is a link to the microfiber section of the Autogeek store, you can find both towels and applicators on that page.

Car Care Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools (http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html)

jdlynch
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

I should add that I already use the two-bucket method with grit guards when I wash and a leaf blower to dry. I dab what is left with an MF towel.

I once had a white tahoe that I sealed/polished by hand with Zaino products. I used the 100% cotton towels they recommended to remove the product. I remember having to rub with a lot of pressure to remove the product after it dried to a haze. Afterwards I was left with swirl marks which looked bad even on white clearcoat. It seemed like the towels were causing it.

That experience has taken away my confidence in doing it myself....especially now that I have a black SUV. I admit though that back then I was not even aware this forum existed.

Jumpingbean
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
You should make the switch to a good micro fiber towel. AG sells some nice towels but they're grossly over priced in my opinion. Better deals can be had else where. Although the VIP deal right now is not bad.

ScottB
08-21-2010, 01:12 PM
use a good sealant like DP Policoat that looks great and wont break the bank. A light thin coat is all thats needed. Buff off with several soft MF towels. It should provide no swirls. More is not better when applying any wax or sealant (synthetic wax).

Dusty Bottoms
08-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

I should add that I already use the two-bucket method with grit guards when I wash and a leaf blower to dry. I dab what is left with an MF towel.

I once had a white tahoe that I sealed/polished by hand with Zaino products. I used the 100% cotton towels they recommended to remove the product. I remember having to rub with a lot of pressure to remove the product after it dried to a haze. Afterwards I was left with swirl marks which looked bad even on white clearcoat. It seemed like the towels were causing it.

That experience has taken away my confidence in doing it myself....especially now that I have a black SUV. I admit though that back then I was not even aware this forum existed.

I've never used Zaino products, but removing wax should not take much elbow grease. Perhaps you were letting the wax dry too long. Also, make sure your paint is cool to the touch before starting.

sportscarhiatus
08-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Take it from a guy who's owned 4 black vehicles in his lifetime. It's not that bad. You will learn from your mistakes. Just be conscious of what touches your paint. When waxing, think... what will touch my paint? Applicator pad and MF towel. Just make sure those two things are always always clean.

jdlynch
08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
When wiping off the wax and/or poly-sealant; should I spray the area I am wiping with a detailer spray for lubrication and to help prevent scratching?

I too have a 2003 G35 that our son drives....mine is pearl white. Not too many worries with that paint.

CEE DOG
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
When wiping off the wax and/or poly-sealant; should I spray the area I am wiping with a detailer spray for lubrication and to help prevent scratching?

No that is not a good idea. It will compromise the sealant and it's not neccesary to do so. You must use top quality mf towels... For removal of wax or sealant you can use the polish removal towels which don't have an edge. For Final buffing use the buff towels that have the silk edges.
Depending on the wax or sealant and your preferences you may prefer to use one or the other exclusively.

Once you have gotten to this step your paint is completely clean (assuming you prepared your paint correctly) proper wash, clay bar, polish or paint cleaner, etc. As long as you haven't allowed things to get on your paint during the process and you use high quality towels and applicators lubrication is not needed or advised for this application. Flip to a fresh side of towel often and then change towels as needed.

jpegs13
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
My first detail was my black Escalade, if I can do it ANYBODY can. Proper tecnique and patience works!

novaman
08-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I've never used Zaino products, but removing wax should not take much elbow grease. Perhaps you were letting the wax dry too long. Also, make sure your paint is cool to the touch before starting.Yes, I agree. I have used Zanos Bros products for years, and they are easy to come off and if you use 100% cotton towels (Cannon or Fieldcrest) made in USA purchased from major linen shops (not Walmart or K-Mart) you will not get swirl marks. I have used microfiber and as far as I'm concerned they do not work as good as the above towels I mentioned. Less is more when your using Zanos products. Too much material and it is harder to get off.

novaman

sportscarhiatus
08-21-2010, 08:16 PM

I too have a 2003 G35 that our son drives....mine is pearl white. Not too many worries with that paint.

Definitely do not spray a detailer when removing the wax/sealant. That will affect the quality of the LSP you are trying to remove. I am not sure how well your LSP will "bond" to the paint if you spray it before removing. Maybe Mike from AG can chime in.

All you need to do is use a clean, dry, plush MF towel, folded in quarters. You now have 8 dedicated "clean" faces of the MF to wipe off with. I usually use 1 face per panel. Toss it in the dirty pile to wash when done.

And yes, I love my G ;) Glad to hear you have one too.

BobbyG
08-22-2010, 07:22 AM
I have a black 09 Nissan Armada (a huge beast) that I have been absolutely scared to wax myself because I am afraid of inducing swirl marks into the paint.

At this time it is swirl free. I have had it professionally detailed twice so far by a detail shop that I discovered from this forum.

With my money being tight I would like to save some money and do it myself. I would appreciate any comments, tips or techniques that might help me decide if I should tackle the job myself or not.

Thanks in advance for any comments to help me learn how to do this.

First, Welcome to Autogeek!

Detailing a cars finish is not rocket science or as difficult as it seems. The depth and goal at which you approach the job will for the most part determine its final outcome. Work one panel at a time and use quality products. I've learned is you never can ask too many questions and start slow taking your time.

Detailing with a DA polisher is preferred to any hand method and the results will show this to be true. Applying the correct amount of polishes and waxes will be much easier using one of these and the job will go much quicker.

Read, read, read................the Practice, Practice, Practice....

Wash
Clay
Swirl Remover – Meguiar’s M105 & Orange pad
Finishing Polish – Menzerna Intensive Polish & White pad
Finishing Polish – Menzerna Polish PO85RD & Gray pad
Isopropyl Alcohol Clean
Glaze - Menzerna Finishing Glaze (only is you need it)
Seal - Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant & Blue or Red pad
Wax - Collinite 845, Pinnacle Signature Series II and Wolfgang Füzion. & Red pad