PDA

View Full Version : Why certain waxes for certain colors?

purgeofdarkness
08-20-2010, 05:44 PM
After browsing the store and the forums and the post about getting White paint to look wet, I'm wondering. Why do the manufactuers have a wax for dark cars, wax for light cars, etc. Does it have different reflective properties? does it have differnt additives? why/How have waxes for colors?

BobbyG
08-20-2010, 06:50 PM
It's a very good question, one I'd like some clarification or understanding on as well....:hungry:

rauljimenez
08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Indeed very nice question i hope mike can chime in on this one!!!

Rsurfer
08-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Could it be marketing! Although Souveran does look good on black.

trhland
08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
i think mostley its marketing. never payed much attention with it.been sticking with my pinnacle waxes and swissvax.. no need try others...

daveinsweethome
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
i agree with tom. have found myself going more and more to pinnacle souv and swissvax concourso. love em liquid souverain is incredible on silver.

CEE DOG
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
i think mostley its marketing. never payed much attention with it.
:iagree:

I am looking forward to finally using my Orange Crush on Sky though!

BobbyG
08-21-2010, 04:25 AM
love em liquid souverain is incredible on silver.

:iagree: I just did my entire truck with this and it looks wet!

ScottB
08-21-2010, 05:34 AM
How much of a color charged wax really stays on the paint, doesnt most get buffed off ?? I believe it has more to do with polymers and ingredients which may appear to "enhance" or simply look better on certain colors.

Silverstone
08-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a metallic silvery gray car, a very neutral kind of color I guess, and I noticed that different color waxes/sealants would leave a tint to the paint. Megs #21 would leave a slight purple haze, and Zymol cleaner wax would leave behind a turquoise tint. It was only visible in certain lights and very faint, but I didn't like it. So I can certainly see how colored waxes can effect different colored paints.

trhland
08-21-2010, 07:39 PM
How much of a color charged wax really stays on the paint, doesnt most get buffed off ?? I believe it has more to do with polymers and ingredients which may appear to "enhance" or simply look better on certain colors.
very true signature series 2 does add something different to the paint. a shinery look .not as dark and deep as souveran. so that makes sense for sure :xyxthumbs:

Jeff120
08-21-2010, 08:17 PM
i agree with tom. have found myself going more and more to pinnacle souv and swissvax concourso. love em liquid souverain is incredible on silver.

It does the same to white, I have never seen my white truck look so sweet!

trhland
08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
It does the same to white, I have never seen my white truck look so sweet!
souveran does amazing things to my dark stone mattalic paint. thats for sure

ObsessiveAutoDetail
08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Not too long ago I decided to break out all my waxes and apply them to both sides of my truck bed sectioned off with painters tape. I had Souveran Paste, Liquid Souveran, Collinite #476, Max Wax, XMT 360 and just WGDGPS.... I asked a few people which one they liked better.... I'm not going to write everyone's responses, but, it seemed to me that the answer to the question "Which Looks Better" was pretty subjective. Nobody could say way why they thought one particular wax looked better... it just did. This was in no way a scientific study or anything, I just wanted to know.

SO.... I am of the mindset of looking for a durable, overall good looking wax, and not one for a particular color.

wytstang
08-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Here is my take on it, waxes with a higher oil content stand out on dark colors more so then light colors. Light colors look better *to me* when a wax with a higher polymer content (more reflective) is used.