PDA

View Full Version : Best Glaze/Sealant/Wax Combination for White?

DerWanderer
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I am detailing a friends' car tomorrow: a 1988 convertible Mercedes 560SL. It is white. The paint is dull.

I am going to do a 3 step polish using the PC: Meg 105, Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna PO85RD.

I want to apply a glaze, then a sealant and finally 2 coats of wax:

Now here is my dilemma:

I have 2 glazes: Menzerna Finishing Glaze and Prima Amigo
I have 2 sealants: Menzerna Power Lock and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
I have 5 Waxes: Lusso Oro, SONAX Premium Class Carnauba Wax, P21S 100% Carnauba Paste Wax, Pinnacle Signature Series II and Wolfgang Füzion.

In your opinion what is the best combination to bring the most shine, gloss and wet look on the white paint? I know that white and silver are the most difficult colors to achieve such a look.

Thanks you.

Mike Phillips
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi DerWanderer...

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Shine and gloss come from smoothness, regardless of color under the clear coat as you're not working on "white" paint, you're working on clear paint. (Unless you're working on a single stage paint).

So the goal is to get the paint as smooth and defect free as possible and your correction process will do that, i.e., claying, compounding and polishing.

As for your choice of LSP I'll let other's make their recommendations as to their thoughts as to what's best for a white car but here's two recent threads on this same similar topic...

How Do Ya Make White Shine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/25137-how-do-ya-make-white-shine.html)

Making a white car shine? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26610-making-white-car-shine.html)

And this one,

How to get the wet look? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/25033-how-get-wet-look.html)

:)

wytstang
08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Polishing is whats going to do the most for white from what I have found on my own car. From the products you listed I have only tried (on white) WG DGS x2. The warm reflective look it offers works very well with white.

BobbyG
08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I am going to do a 3 step polish using the PC: Meg 105, Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna PO85RD.

I want to apply a glaze, then a sealant and finally 2 coats of wax:

Now here is my dilemma:

I have 2 glazes: Menzerna Finishing Glaze and Prima Amigo
I have 2 sealants: Menzerna Power Lock and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
I have 5 Waxes: Lusso Oro, SONAX Premium Class Carnauba Wax, P21S 100% Carnauba Paste Wax, Pinnacle Signature Series II and Wolfgang Füzion.

In your opinion what is the best combination to bring the most shine, gloss and wet look on the white paint? I know that white and silver are the most difficult colors to achieve such a look.

Thanks you.

Welcome to Autogeek!

Making a finish shine takes time and the order of which you use the various products are equally important. Start slow and test for results. Do a 2 foot square section and then move on. Each paint correction step gets finer and finer. Follow the manufactures directions and take your time. If you have a liquid wax it makes applying wax in even thin coats a breeze.

Here's my recommendation

Wash
Clay
Swirl Remover – Meguiar’s M105 & Orange pad
Finishing Polish – Menzerna Intensive Polish & White pad
Finishing Polish – Menzerna Polish PO85RD & Gray pad
Isopropyl Alcohol Clean
Glaze - Menzerna Finishing Glaze (only is you need it)
Seal - Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant & Blue or Red pad
Wax - Pinnacle Signature Series II and Wolfgang Füzion. & Red pad

08 300C
08-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I am not a pro and technically my car is not white (Cool Vanilla) but Wolfgang,TSR, DGPS 3.0 topped with Fuzion looks crazy good on my car. Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun doing it

DerWanderer
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mike and everyone for your responses.

First, just to let you know, this is not my first experience in detailing. I have detailed few cars before and I didn't mention claying because I took it for granted that I will be doing so.

I only have a PC. I am still not very comfortable using a rotary polisher.

I cleaned the wheels with Sonax Wheel Cleaner and a boar brush and then did another round using P21S wheel cleaner and a sponge.
I cleaned the tires and wheel wells using Optimum Power Clean and a fender brush
I washed the car using the Wolfgang Foam Canon and DP Xtreme foam (rinsed it after first foaming, foamed it again and handwashed it and rinsed)
I clayed it with the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and Pinnacle clay lubricant (the paint was in a good condition, didn't need a more aggressive clay)
I used DP Glass Restorer with an orange pad on the windshield and windows.
I didn't use the Meg105 because it turned out that the car didn't have a clear coat, so I didn't want to remove tons of paint. So I just went with the Menzerna Intensive Polish with the orange pad
I used the white pad with Menzerna Micro Polish
I washed the car again with the Foam Canon again and Xtreme formula, rinsed it and then hand washed it using 1Z einzette Perl Shampoo
I applied Prima Amigo (couldn't resist using it as I just got it and wanted to try it)
Finally, I applied Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 with a wax applicator using the straight line method as per Mike's instructional video. I waited an hour before removing it.

I still haven't applied the wax, I will be doing it tomorrow. I am going to use Lusso Oro as I have had it for a year now, and I have to use it or else I will keep on dreaming about using the wax! I know... I am sick.

Now here is a question, you suggested using IPA after polishing, any reason for that? For me I only use IPA (1:1 ratio with water) when I want to remove stubborn polish residues. Also, after I polished the paint using the Menzerna IP, I noticed that the paint's color has changed for dull yellowed white to true white. That's when I knew that it doesn't have a clear coat (correct me please if I am wrong).

Also one last question, for some reason I thought Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is white, but I saw that it has a yellowish car, is that true or do I have a bad bottle?

Here are some after pics:
6489 6490 6491 6492 6493 6494 6495 6496 6497 6498 6499 6500

Just as a note: These pics were taken at 5:30 PM in a cloudy weather. Not much sun.

Thanks again for your advice.

TLMitchell
08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Also, after I polished the paint using the Menzerna IP, I noticed that the paint's color has changed for dull yellowed white to true white. That's when I knew that it doesn't have a clear coat (correct me please if I am wrong).

Did you have white residue on the orange pad (other than the polish) after using IP? If so, single stage, if not, CC.

TL

rwright
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Also one last question, for some reason I thought Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is white, but I saw that it has a yellowish car, is that true or do I have a bad bottle?

That's the color of it. All 3 bottles were the same for me. Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer is white.

wytstang
08-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Just as a note: These pics were taken at 5:30 PM in a cloudy weather. Not much sun.

Thanks again for your advice.
That is perfect actually, full sun shots do nothing but wash out on film/digi pics. Dust or Dawn is a great time for white paint.