PDA

View Full Version : New Guy needs help

scrib13
08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Ok, proud papa with a new corvette gs, crystal red and loving it! Only drive it on the weekend and it is garage keep. After much reading and guessing, I started off by cleaning the car with a detergent wash. Rinsed real well and then applied two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0. So far so good as far as I know. Now all the questions.....

1. If I wanted to apply something over this to increase shine what would be my best move?

2. if I keep it as is, after washing what is the best product to use (quick detail spray) to keep it shinning and help the original coats last as long as possible.

3. So far I have done everything by hand, after the two coats of DGP, is there any need to buff (machine) this, will it help with a shine? Guessing not but want to make sure.

4. If I just live with my sealant and a quick spray, would there by any need for a machine buffer?

5. if I apply an additional product over the sealant, guessing one of the waxes would I benefit from a buffer then or would hand waxing get the job done.

6. after all of this, is it worth my time to go to the 101 detail class?

Guessing that is plenty of questions for now, thanks Scott "scrib13"

Rsurfer
08-20-2010, 01:28 AM
The very first thing you should have done is clay the paint. Get a zip lock bag, put your fingers in it and gently rub your paint. You will feel grit on the paint if it hasn't been clayed. This contamination will not come out with a wash. On to your questions:

1. If I wanted to apply something over this to increase shine what would be my best move?

There are so many good nuba waxes at different price ranges. The choice is yours as in most cases it will be subjective on which wax has the best gloss.

2. if I keep it as is, after washing what is the best product to use (quick detail spray) to keep it shinning and help the original coats last as long as possible

I would recommend Optimum Spray Wax. Has a patented UV protector and claims to last as long as 5 months. I personally would re wax every 4-6 weeks. It is so easy on and dries crystal clear. A little goes a very long way. Have a gallon in my cart right now.

3. So far I have done everything by hand, after the two coats of DGP, is there any need to buff (machine) this, will it help with a shine? Guessing not but want to make sure

Buffing the sealant will not help the shine.

4. If I just live with my sealant and a quick spray, would there by any need for a machine buffer?

Take your car in the sun and see how many swrils, scratches, marring is on your paint. The only effective way to remove these defects is by a machine buffer and I'm not talking about the ones at Walmart or Sears for 39 bucks.

Absolutely!! Good luck Scott

jpegs13
08-20-2010, 02:55 AM
:iagree::goodpost:

BobbyG
08-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Scott,

Welcome Aboard!

Ok, proud papa with a new corvette gs, crystal red and loving it! Only drive it on the weekend and it is garage keep. After much reading and guessing, I started off by cleaning the car with a detergent wash. Rinsed real well and then applied two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0. So far so good as far as I know. Now all the questions.....

Any good quality wax will give you the protection you need. I prefer to use liquid waxes applied with my PC DA using a red Lake Country foam pad.

2. if I keep it as is, after washing what is the best product to use (quick detail spray) to keep it shinning and help the original coats last as long as possible.

Optimum Car Wax, hands down. Optimum Car Wax is a spray and goes on so easily you might think your using a detail spray.

3. So far I have done everything by hand, after the two coats of DGP, is there any need to buff (machine) this, will it help with a shine? Guessing not but want to make sure.

Nope!

No, nothing to gain.

5. if I apply an additional product over the sealant, guessing one of the waxes would I benefit from a buffer then or would hand waxing get the job done.

In my opinion yes. When applying wax with a polisher like I mentioned above it's very easy to apply a thin coat of wax making it more uniform and not wasting product. Another benefit is removing it while buffing, it should be very easy otherwise you're using too much.

Absolutely!!

JohnHenry
08-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Most definitely! If you are at all serious about the detailing hobby/profession, do not miss an opportunity to take the Autogeek classes. This is the best training that you can find at a ridiculously low price. :props:

Good luck!

Mike Phillips
08-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Machine polishing. Gloss comes from smoothness and depth and clarity, a deep shine comes from removing as many surface defects, (swirls and scratches), BEFORE applying your choice of LSP

If you're not machine polishing and you want to take your Corvette's finish to it's maximum potential then you want to step up to machine polishing...

I taught my first class in 1988, that's 22 years now of primarily showing people how to polish paint. I can't think of a single person that didn't enjoy the class and learn techniques to help them reach their car care goals whatever they may be...

That's why I love this thread but you can find thousands of testimony's on MOL in the "Pictures & Comments" thread from the 7 years of classes I taught for Meguiar's.

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

As I share in the above thread... Joe had never used a machine before in his entire life...

I love this shot too because it shows anyone can learn to machine polish...

Christian and Laura showing the guys how it's done...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/903/medium/July31Class023.jpg

And of course, my son is a chip off the old block..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/903/July31Class039.jpg

Plus at the class you have a chance to try all the DA Polishers and in the Advanced Class you get a chance to use rotary buffers...

Information Threads
Detailing 101 - Machine Polishing - Saturday September 18th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-saturday-detailing-101/28005-detailing-101-machine-polishing-saturday-september-18th.html)
Detailing 102 - Wetsanding, Cutting and Buffing for a Show Car Finish - Sunday September 19th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-sunday-detailing-102-advanced-class/28007-wetsanding-cutting-buffing-show-car-finish-sunday-september-19th.html)

These will probably be the last classes for some time...

:)

scrib13
08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
thanks everyone for the feedback, Mike, you had me at hello, never heard so many good things about one class. thanks, i will be signing up shortly, Scott "scrib13"

scrib13
08-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Ok, signed up for the class,

bought the Optimum Wax Spray, seems to look ok but seems as if I lost the slick feel of the sealant, is that normal/ok or did i do something wrong?

ScottB
08-21-2010, 05:41 AM
you could add a wax topper or a spray that adds gloss like Optimums Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancing Spray

see above

even a light polishing by machine can bring out additional gloss and reflection even on good paint.

if you dont decide on machine, perhaps consider a paint cleansing lotion to use when you want to remove old sealant and waxes and prep surface for new coat or product.

Application of sprays, waxes, and sealants are easily done by hand. Just remember more is not good just harder to remove and likely wasted product. Light even coating

You will learn alot, and you clearly found the value in this. Great move !!