PDA

View Full Version : Lost my virginity today!!!!!!

heavychevy
11-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Used a rotary for the first time.:p Not on a car of course, had some side skirts that I never installed on my vette and they have a really big flat bottom so I got the rotary in today Porter Cable ($89) and thought I would give it a spin.

It was awesome!!!!!

It was soooooooo much easier to get swirls out but I started to get confused on what product to use with what pad to achieve what result. (I have lots more stuff but this is what I wanted to experiment w/ today.

Pads: Polishes: Waxes: Compound: Swirl Removers:
Yellow Optimum Souveran Optimum HC XMT 3
Orange XMT Optimum C XMT 1
White ASR
Gray

Didnt use the yellow pad at all :applause: and wouldnt consider it unless I was only using the optimum polish.

OHC+Orange Pad @1000RPM= way too much for me the cut was unbeleivable. I didnt think I would be able to get the stuff out

OC+ Orange Pad @ 1000RPM= seems like the best combination for me, gets out the scratches and minor cutting

OC+White Pad1000-1200 RPM= Tried it for the heck of it and actually liked the fact that the actual compound did the majority of cutting instead of both the pad and compound cutting, probably my favorite combo for minor swirl removal

OP+White Pad 1000RPM= Loved this combo too, got the paint headed towards final polish while eliminating some swirls.

OP+ Gray Pad 1000-1200= Not much different IMO from the OP plus white pad

XMT 1+ Gray Pad 1000-1200= Got the Spider weebing that was left over from the more agressive compounds

The great thing about the Rotary is that you can easily control the RPMs by feathering the trigger. I will play with the machine for the next month getting my combos together before it hits a car.

2 Questions:

Does it really take all that damage to the clearcoat to fix it?

Do most of the people who have the rotary and numerous products have combinations written down because I started to get confused as to what I had already used and wanted to try.

ScottB
11-17-2006, 07:32 AM
I still find myself going back to the PC ... my Hitachi rotary is just gathering dust. As you stated, using to much pad, speed, or abrasive polish means extreme cutting and thats clearcoat you cannot get back !!

supercharged
11-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I really like your title. :D Im the MAN