PDA

View Full Version : paintwork clay applicator

Pages : [1] 2

Bullitt AK
08-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator (http://www.autogeek.net/paintwork-clay-pad-applicator.html)

has anyone tried this before? i could see it taking alot of time off of claying..however i am apprehensive about using it because i wouldnt want to mar the paint using it

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't bother with one of those... claying doesn't take all that long by hand and you have so much more control over the process, not to mention the potential safety risk with machine claying.

2SLICK4U
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
:iagree:
I wouldn't bother with one of those... claying doesn't take all that long by hand and you have so much more control over the process, not to mention the potential safety risk with machine claying.

Danny281
09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey bullitt just joined over here nice to see someone else I know around. I would stick to claying normally you wouldn't want the clay to stick to the clear since the foam might soak up the QD or lube your using before it gets to the clay, which would cause you to be claying dry.

CEE DOG
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I like being able to get the feedback from the clay using my hand so I can know when the paint feels clean and move on.

DARK HORSE
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
+100, stick to claying by hand. Best for feeling the paint, and safer...

Dubbin1
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm honestly a little shocked that AG sells this product. Its a total gimmick and asking for trouble.

dougaross
09-14-2010, 10:16 PM
A great alternative to clay - Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaner System

WRAPT C5Z06
09-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Heck no! You NEED to be able to *feel* the surface you're claying. :dblthumb2:

dougaross
09-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Heck no! You NEED to be able to *feel* the surface you're claying. :dblthumb2:

The only thing I need to feel is the paint through a baggie - it is perfectly smooth. I didn't have to take time to knead the clay and I don't have to throw away a block of clay if I drop it. Not mention clay deterioration and gumming up the paint which a number of posts have discussed.

BTW there is a certain amount of feel - you can certainly feel/hear when you are going over crud.

Of course everyone has their own preference

Bert31
09-15-2010, 09:05 AM
The only thing I need to feel is the paint through a baggie - it is perfectly smooth. I didn't have to take time to knead the clay and I don't have to throw away a block of clay if I drop it. Not mention clay deterioration and gumming up the paint which a number of posts have discussed.

BTW there is a certain amount of feel - you can certainly feel/hear when you are going over crud.

Of course everyone has their own preference

I think he was referring to the clay applicator not the sponge you were referring to.

I have one of those and use it on cars that are really bad and I will be compounding afterwards. As you mentioned, you can hear going over crud but it doesn't seem to "absord" the crud and good as clay and has a higher risk of marring than clay. So as I said, if I will be compounding afterwards, I will use my clay sponge, if not, I still with fine clay.

ctwatchman
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I just used the paintwork clay applicator and feel like I was ripped off! The clay won't stay on the pad and falls on the ground, rendering the expensive clay useless. A $30.00 mistake if I factor in the cost of the clay bar I wasted. As everyone else has said, claying by hand offers feedback that is important to the process...

aherzing
08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
glad I saw this before I ordered it! Thanks All!

kimtyson
08-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I just used the paintwork clay applicator and feel like I was ripped off! The clay won't stay on the pad and falls on the ground, rendering the expensive clay useless. A $30.00 mistake if I factor in the cost of the clay bar I wasted. As everyone else has said, claying by hand offers feedback that is important to the process...

Thanks for sharing your experience with the product. Anyone else actually try the pad? Please share.
By the way, I tend to agree with the others that claying is a hand thing and, by its nature, does not lend itself to a machine process well.

embolism
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
wow I didn't even know that something like this existed.

bad idea for sure...