PDA

View Full Version : New Mitsubishi Lancer - Paint problems

Coiteaux
08-16-2010, 02:18 PM
My brother just bought a new Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 2010 :dblthumb2:. Nice car but there are well known problems with the paint quality. It seems that a new painting process related to new environmental standards has made the paint more sensible to stone chips and scratches. Some suggestions found around the web are:

Installing mudguards;
Installing paint protections films from 3M.
Do you have other suggestions to improve the paint durability?

Thanks!

evolution9
08-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Rallyarmor flaps and film are your best bet.

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Do you have other suggestions to improve the paint durability?

Thanks!

Outside the normal wash and wax on a regular basis about the only other things you can do is actually cover the paint, as in a wrap, but then you can't see the paint.

Park in a garage when you can, consider a car cover for when the car is parked outside at work, (or at home).

I don't know if anyone has ever put the protective bra film over an entire car but if possible you will have effectively sealed off the paint from the environment and now all you have to do is maintain the plastic film.

:)

jlb85
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
You can definitely wrap entire vehicles. Look up Premier Wraps in CA (I'm not affiliated in any way, just seen a lot of their work on other forums), they do many full wraps. But like Mike said, you don't get to see the paint. Plus the paint protection film will get swirls and RIDS easier, many times, than the paint. But full wraps run in the thousands $$, and replacing any damaged film (it is a sacrificial barrier) involves a costly re-application of very large pieces of film (a client killer).

For chipping, a front mask plus coverage on chip-prone areas will reduce the risk of chipping greatly at a much lower cost. Replacement will also be much cheaper. I would look into at least a front mask on any new car I buy.

As far as the reasons for chipping to occur in the first place, it is, so far, not known. Here is my understanding so far, and I'm sure someone with more experience in the field could be much more in-depth and correct.
Some people believe it is due to the EPA's tougher regulations on automotive paint in an attempt to reduce emissions. These regulations, basically, say colored-paints need to be water-based instead of typical solvent-based. They also reduce the amount of solvent permissible in clear coats, which are still legal to be solvent based,as there are no feasible options currently. The belief is that the bond between differently-based solutions is weaker than the same bond with similarly-solvent-based solutions. Hence, chipping is easier since the paint is, as a whole, weaker. Thicker clear coat also increases orange peel. This is all for factory-applied paint. There are differences for aftermarket painting.

Others believe it has more to do with the styling of vehicles today that are more prone to chipping due to sheet-metal being in the line of fire. As wheels are pushed out further and closer to the fender edge, their roost will be more violent. As tires become stickier and better performing, more rocks and stones they kick up from the road. Any body panel that detaches from the aerodynamic side of the vehicle will be pounded. This correlates, highly unscientifically, to the vehicles from whom we hear most complaints, most have aggressive fender bolstering. New Camaro, STi/Evo, 911, etc. If you search these forums you will see they seem to have more chip complaints than other forums.

So it could be the type of owner and driver, or it could be related to the paint process. But it is probably related to the vehicle geometry and road conditions more than anything else.

TheGLL
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Interesting replies! :xyxthumbs:

Captain_JF
08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
:dblthumb2: