PDA

View Full Version : buffing a spray paint car?

nabisco shine
08-16-2010, 03:24 AM
ok guys i have a friend that has a honda, i think the 1st owner sprayed the car with spray paint its dull black with no shine, so i was detailing his truck and when i was finish he had ask me to try buff his fendor on his honda, so i did and man it came really shiny, but fish eyed looking, but he loved it cause it was shiny and got reflections, well my questions is can i buff the whole car? i used megs d151 with a megs cutting foam pad, if i do plan on buffing it out i was thinking using m105, would this project be a waste of my time?

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 07:22 AM
the 1st owner sprayed the car with spray paint its dull black with no shine,

so i was detailing his truck and when i was finish he had ask me to try buff his fender on his honda, so i did and man it came really shiny,

well my questions is can i buff the whole car?

Your "Test Spot", (the fender), shows you can successfully buff the paint assuming the rest of the car has the same paint the fender has on it.

Remember the D151 has wax in it and this ability to leave behind wax helps it to make paint shiny and might actually create more shine than just a compound alone. Hard to say without testing the M105 because M105 is very good at creating a high gloss, high shine finish too...

So do a test spot before buffing out the entire car with the M105.

Practically speaking, if you buff with M105 you're still going to have to apply wax or sealant since M105 is water soluble, even if doing a two step yields better results than a one-step, how much better in the big picture will it be for a car painted with a spray can? Plus spray can paint jobs are thin...

If you tackle the project my opinion would be using the D151 would be the best approach... one-step, less time, restores shine... clean up, collect your pay and move on to the next project...

Win/Win

:)

Bullitt AK
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
this might be a stupid question but since its a spray painted car the dull appearance on top is not oxidation and its just the appearance of the paint right?

so really polishing it would not restore any shine other than just the fact of the product sitting on top of the paint? so you could get the same effect from waxing?

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
this might be a stupid question but since its a spray painted car the dull appearance on top is not oxidation and its just the appearance of the paint right?

It's a combination of overspray and mottling... I don't have a great definition for mottling I can type out on the fly but it's the solvents evaporating off the surface and the atomized paint coagulating leaving behind and uneven surface that tends to be dull and even textured...

so really polishing it would not restore any shine other than just the fact of the product sitting on top of the paint? so you could get the same effect from waxing?

No, polishing or mildly abrading the surface will smooth it over, gloss comes from smoothness, polishing will also act to restore clarity to the color which will show up as a deeper, darker color with more depth.

The problem with a spray can paint job is it will tend to be very thin unless the person doing the painting really goes gonzo and buys cases of paint and really lays down some film-build.

Bullitt AK
08-16-2010, 03:32 PM
ok thanks

what i actually had in mind when i commented and he said dull black with no shine was a matte spray paint

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
ok thanks

what i actually had in mind when i commented and he said dull black with no shine was a matte spray paint

He said in this thread or the other related thread that he buffed with D151 by machine and was able to create gloss and shine, said it looked a lot better.

I took it from his observations of the results that he was in fact working on some type of high gloss spray can enamel and not a spray can flat, matte or primer.

Could be wrong about it but his description certainly made it sound like the top coat is indeed polishable.

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
See the part in bold...

ok guys i have a friend that has a honda, i think the 1st owner sprayed the car with spray paint its dull black with no shine, so i was detailing his truck and when i was finish he had ask me to try buff his fendor on his honda, so i did and man it came really shiny,

:xyxthumbs:

Bullitt AK
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
ok i wasnt trying to argue i was just asking out of curiosity because i have a friend whos car is matte black, and i just thought that just the presence of a polish or wax on the paint would create a reflective shine or make it look like a gloss finish

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
ok i wasn't trying to argue i was just asking out of curiosity

Don't read into my reply as arguing, I was just trying to clarify and help out... over 28,000 posts on MOL and moving towards 10,000 posts on this forum and you won't find a history of arguing, just helping...

If fact I remember when you first joined here and started posting and I think if you read through your posting history you'll find myself and everyone on this forum only replying with help...

In fact I love posting histories as they reveal character over time...

:dblthumb2:

Bullitt AK
08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
sorry thats not what i meant...i didnt mean that i thought you were trying to argue i was just making it clear that I was not, just in case it was feasible to you that i was

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
just in case it was feasible to you that i was

Not at all... didn't even cross my mind... I've been posting long enough to forums to know that you can't always tell motive by the typed words...

I was merely trying to help the OP and share with you why I thought the spray can paint is some type of enamel and not a flat, matte or primer paint, of which none of these if polished will show gloss or shine.

:dblthumb2:

nabisco shine
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
thanks mr phillaps, ill post pics before and after to show everyone the resaults

Flash Gordon
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Looking forward to this one :awesome: