PDA

View Full Version : Forever Black Question

HouseofShine
08-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but how much would it take to dye the plastic on an Aztek?

daveinsweethome
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
dont know if i would call it dye. a lot of product for sure. neighbor has a tracker with lots of panels. everything i have tried wears off pretty quickly. on his beater i am going to ask him if i can sand it first to get some grip then try again.

HouseofShine
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
dont know if i would call it dye. a lot of product for sure. neighbor has a tracker with lots of panels. everything i have tried wears off pretty quickly. on his beater i am going to ask him if i can sand it first to get some grip then try again.

I wonder if the 32oz jug would be enough. I could probably apply it with a foam brush with decent results, and would have more choice in brush size (i.e. a smaller brush for tight areas, and a larger brush for large areas).

Mike Phillips
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I would think the 32 ounce jug would cover an Aztek,

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/08/0824_uglycars/image/4pontiac_aztec.jpg

It applies fairly thinly and some type of foam brush would probably work pretty good.

:)

gmck
04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
In my opinion, Forever Black is a much underrated product. I’ve got no idea why, but you don’t often see posts about it and when you do they all seem to be derogatory. There is one terrible video of a guy applying Forever Black, who obviously had no idea what he was doing, so possibly that video has gone viral and turned people off.

Forever Black is definitely a black dye. Whatever trim it goes on will be made permanently black, so I suggest you do a test spot to be sure that you like the look.

I can’t advise on the Aztek as I’ve got no idea what an Aztek is. I’ve used Forever Black many times on vehicles such as the older 3 and 5 series BMWs which all had protection strips along the doors, plus inserts in their front and rear bumpers. I’ve also used it on the plastic moldings on the wheel arches on X5s etc. Basically any car that has protection strips or bumper inserts.

If Mike’s photo is an Aztek then it is likely that you will need more than the standard 4oz bottle, but you will find that Forever Black does go a very long way. I’m still on my first 4oz bottle and I’ve lost count of the numbers cars that it has done.

The advantage of Forever Black is that it is permanent; it does not wash off during the next wash, like so many of the other useless products.

FB also comes with a cleaner and it is most important to prepare the molding correctly before attempting to apply FB. My usual procedure is to pressure wash first, and then use the cleaner. You’ll also find the cleaner very useful for cleaning up the last detailers mistakes. Great for combining with a tooth brush to remove old compound/polish/wax etc stuck under window trims, in door handles, and any of the rubber trims.

The trick to using FB is to use it sparing and spread it evenly with either the built in applicator or apply the FB to a foam applicator and apply with that. Depending on the condition of the molding, it may require up to three applications (allow about 15 minutes drying time between coats) to ensure an even coverage. Just don’t apply it heavily and try to do the application in one pass as it will look terrible, just like it did in that bad video.

I usually remove the protection strips, especially if I’m also polishing the car (usually heaps of dirt etc under them) which makes it much easier to apply when removed from the car. If you decide not to remove, then you do need to take care where the strip abuts the panel because if the FB dries on the panel, it can only be removed via polishing the paint. The trick is to slowly move the applicator about a 1/32 inch away from the edge of the strip and let the capillary action allow the liquid to flow to the edge. Obviously you need a steady hand doing it that way.

Good luck with it, if you decide to use it, but I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the results.

Harleyguy
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I used it Sunday on my Ford Sport trac every couple months I use it on the running boards and rear bumper trim . After two coats the trim looks like new again . True it doesn't last but a couple monts but for the price it's a fast and easy fix

FUNX650
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but how much would it take to dye the plastic on an Aztek?

As I've seen posted, folks have differring opinions on how long the term "forever" applies to Forever Black. Many owners of Aztecs and Avalanches have had issues such as this. GM's answer to this was a TSB to their service depts. to apply the product known as GATORBACK. This was, and still is, a permanent solution. To find this product: I suggest going to a GM parts counter or Gatorback's web site.

weavers
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
with a 4oz bottle of forever black i was able to dye and entire truck bed 1coat entirely and 2 coats in places, rear bumper, front bumper, trim on my old mercdedes and a catalic. all of these had 1-2 coats, some very faded bits had 3-4.

so buy two bottles if your worried. forever black seems to last 6months to a year. treat every month a trim protectant or tire gel. like megs endurance or opti-bond tire protectant.

Silverstone
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I've had very good results with FB. In fact I was recently cleaning old wax stains off the black vinyl/plastic under the doors with Wurth clean solve and the rag kept coming off dark black. I was worried that I was removing pigment until I remembered that I used FB on them like two and a half years ago! That's what was coming off.

When I finally got them clean I re-applied it and they look great. This time I'll be more careful with the wax. The car has about a 3-4 inch black plastic trim running all the way around the bottom and I had done two applications back then, the bottle is still mostly full.

poweraid
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I may have to try this . I got one section on my truck that I can't get back . bedrail . everything else I got with black wow. i even used the prewow cleaner and still have these white areas, assuming wax . I used uttg on wiper cowl which looked horrible but it came out nice now . I have no idea how long these application will last though. I surely do not want to redo these every 2 weeks.