PDA

View Full Version : New from Colorado

Pages : [1] 2

tommypenguin
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey Everyone, how's it going? I'm doing well, just trying to get my feet wet in detailing a car. I have owned my black 2010 Accord for almost a year now and have recently noticed that there are light swirl marks all over it. I need to do something about it. I'm very familiar with working and tuning cars, specifically subarus and always assumed I was cleaning my car correctly. But I started researching detailing cars about a month ago, realized I was washing my car wrong, using only one bucket. I always left my wheels for last and used separate items to do them but never the less the wheels were getting grit filled brushes applying to them. Its funny you how you can wash your car religously for 10+ years and never bother to read up and make sure you are doing it right. If I would have had a black car prior I would have more than likely noticed much sooner, but silver and white are forgiving to scratch the clear coat to an untrained eye.

Better late than never, so here I am looking to take care of my car correctly in terms of detailing. I recently purchased a porter cable 7424xp this summer and am piecing together the supplies needed to restore the gloss and scratchless finish to my car and working on maintaining it. Below is my current list of supplies...
CCS 5.5" Orange Pad
CCS 5.5" White Pad
CCS 5.5" Black Pad
CCS 5.5" Blue Pad
Meguiar's Clay Bar and Spray Detailer
Klasse AIO
Klasse Sealant
Gold Class Wax
S100 Carnuba Paste Wax
Stoner's Tarminator
Stoner's More Shine
Stoner's Invisible Glass and Reach and Clean Tool
Stoner's Trim Shine
Lexol Leather Conditioner
Lexol Leather Cleaner
Lexol Dash Cleaner
Never Dull
Microfiber Mitt X2
Microfiber clothes
2 buckets
Wheel Brush
Spoke Microfiber Brush
Lug Nut Brush
Meguiar's G-9524 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

Planned Purchases...
More Pads
Pad Rejuvenator
Grit Guards
Meguiar's Twins M105 and M205
Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner
Meguiar's Car Shampoo
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
Poorboy's World Super Swirl Remover Sampler
Cobra Microfiber Bonnets
P21S Polishing Soap for Girlfriend's chrome wheels that are corroded
If you have any suggestions on products I should add or subtract I'm all ears and would appreciate the advice. I would love to hear from other's trials and tribulations which I will seek out here as I search the reviews on various products.
Here are a couple pics of my car after I cleaned it the best I could before the summer began. I washed it, clayed it, washed again, Klasse AIO, Klass sealant, and then put a layer of S100 Wax. Hopefully I will get it looking much better along with my girlfriend's car once I get those scratches out of the clear coat.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Accord/DSCF0559.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Accord/DSCF0585.jpg
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Accord/DSCF0581.jpg

BobbyG
08-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Tommy!

:welcome:

For a new guy you sighed up well prepared including one of the more popular DA polishers. The list you have is also pretty impressive and you're addiction will no doubt grow.

Autogeek offers some of the finest detailing products and their staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The offer great prices and special deals to it's members and it's forum just can't be beat.

Jump right in!! :props:

Sinbad
08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Add, add, add. JK. Welcome and good luck here. A lot of info and never enough stuff. This is a great place to be.

tommypenguin
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Add, add, add. JK. Welcome and good luck here. A lot of info and never enough stuff. This is a great place to be.

I know its been really bad since I’ve joined, I’ve spent probably close to 8 hours on the forum this weekend reading up on products, watching videos, and adding to the cart. Finally placed an order yesterday and it goes something like this…

2 Orange LC CCS 5.5”
3 White LC CCS 5.5”
1 Green LC CCS 5.5”
2 Gray LC CCS 5.5”
3 Blue LC CCS 5.5”
1 Red LC CCS 5.5”
5” Backing Plate
2 Grit Guards
Poor boy’s Wheel Sealant
P21S Polishing Soap
Meguiars Twins 105/205
Cobra Guzzler Combo Kit
P21S TAW Spray

Marc08EX
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome my fellow Accord owner! I'm from M8G too.

Nice collection you got there!

tommypenguin
08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Welcome my fellow Accord owner! I'm from M8G too.

Nice collection you got there!

Thanks for the welcome, I've seen you on M8G and I believe DA also. Are there a lot of Accord owners over here?

Marc08EX
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I've seen you on M8G and I believe DA also. Are there a lot of Accord owners over here?

I've stopped going to DA.net once I found m8g.

I haven't seen a lot of accords here...

Strap your wallets because this hobby is quite addicting lol! You'll always think that there's a burning hole in your pocket lol!

tommypenguin
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I've stopped going to DA.net once I found m8g.

I haven't seen a lot of accords here...

Strap your wallets because this hobby is quite addicting lol! You'll always think that there's a burning hole in your pocket lol!

Ya, I haven’t spent near as much time on DA since I joined M8G, much better technical info. there.

I can tell this hobby can get ridiculous already, after I placed my order and have found several other products that I’m interested in, but they will have to wait till Christmas. My girlfriend has already put the clamps on my spending for the year on Car cleaning products especially in light of having to spend a large sum of money for hockey related dental work. I’m sure next year I will grab this hobby by the horns and try and build a portfolio of friends and family member’s vehicles I have hopefully brought back to life. Do you have any links to detail threads you have done? Would love to see what your experience has been with our paint.

Sinbad
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah spending time and money on here is very easy to do. I just purchased a 92 Accord EX that has been neglected for the last 3 years and will use that as one of my "guinea pigs" so I can do my black Dodge.

I would also suggest a cage, saves on the dental bills. I wear one and am grateful that I do.

tommypenguin
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah spending time and money on here is very easy to do. I just purchased a 92 Accord EX that has been neglected for the last 3 years and will use that as one of my "guinea pigs" so I can do my black Dodge.

I would also suggest a cage, saves on the dental bills. I wear one and am grateful that I do.

Can’t wait to see your detail thread of your Accord when you do it.

As for the tooth, it’s really retarded how it happened, wish it was some great story but its not. I’m a goalie first off and had my helmet off drinking some water by the bench a teammate skated by to drink some water, turned around quickly, didn’t realize I was there and smacked me in the tooth with his stick, it really wasn’t that hard but you could hear the tooth crack immediately. It cracked a chunk of the tooth right off, quite a bit of $ later it looks good as new. Sometimes freak things happen, been playing net for 15 years never had an incident to my face, sometimes you just can’t win.

Sinbad
08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
That sucks. You are right, change the story. Something like, you got ran over, helmet came off and took a puck to the tooth!!!

Where do you play? Ever skate out???

I will document my Accord detail as soon as I get the mechanical aspect taken care of.

Slava
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Welcome.

tommypenguin
08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
That sucks. You are right, change the story. Something like, you got ran over, helmet came off and took a puck to the tooth!!!

Where do you play? Ever skate out???

I will document my Accord detail as soon as I get the mechanical aspect taken care of.

Very lame story indeed. I play at Ice Ranch and South Suburban mostly for games. I practice at Foothills on Friday nights. I haven’t skated out in a league for a couple of years. I actually brought my old aluminum forward stick a couple weeks ago to practice and took probably 50 shots before most of the rest of the guys got out there. I do miss letting the shots rip, was one of my favorite stress reliefs when I had a lot it. Where do you play?

Welcome.

Thanks and nice WRX got a link to your mod list? Are you a member of AWDPirates? I use to frequent that forum with some regularity while I had my Suby always some entertaining reads going on there.

Mike Phillips
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Slava
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Yep,
I'm on AWDPirates.
Here's the mod list.
Engine Mods:

Blouch TD05-20G
DeatschWerks 650cc injectors
Slowboy Racing EWG Kit - Tial 38mm (red)
Street Concepts custom dump tube
SSAutochrome FMIC
TurboXS Short Ram Intake
Prodrive Boost Solenoid
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Street Concepts Catback (hardened hangers)
ECUtek Tuned by Harvey Epstein of Super Rupair - 290whp @ 18psi, 300whp @ 20psi

Suspension/Handling Mods:

Helix Coilovers (Cusco Top Hats Front)
Cusco Front/Rear Swaybars
Helix Rear Endlinks
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Subframe Lock Bolts
Whiteline Differential Bushings
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy F/R Shifter Bushings

Interior Stuff:

Defi Link Gauges - EGT, Boost, Oil Temp.
Kartboy Shift Knob
STi front seats
STi rear seat
STi doorcards
STi guage cluster (04)
Painted dash pieces (S203 style)
Alpine CD Player
XM Satellite Radio (not installed)

Exterior:

STi fog covers
5K HID Kit
Painted Sideskirts