PDA

View Full Version : safe engine cleaning products

Pages : [1] 2

Bullitt AK
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
last time i did my engine on my mustang i ended up ruining one of my coils, its a coil on plug car..i was using simple green to do the cleaning portion...could the SG have anything to do with it? i was j/w because i saw an ad for someone doing engine detailing using what they claimed was an 'elecrtical safe degreaser'?

daveinsweethome
08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
i believe the elec safe degreaser is one of the aerosol cans that sprays something like dry cleaning fluid. would probably be much to expensive to do entire engines with. i was told simple green can hurt aluminum pieces so i use other apc. i can get the engine dry in minutes with the metro master blaster and dress it dry.

CEE DOG
08-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I can tell you ARO works like a champ

Grizzly
08-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Megs APC.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-14-2010, 08:08 PM
last time i did my engine on my mustang i ended up ruining one of my coils, its a coil on plug car..i was using simple green to do the cleaning portion...could the SG have anything to do with it? i was j/w because i saw an ad for someone doing engine detailing using what they claimed was an 'elecrtical safe degreaser'?

It had more to do with water getting into your coil pack then the cleaner itself. Most of your APC's will work just fine. I use Simple Green all the time without any issues. P21S TAW, Optimum's APC,and Majestic Solutions also make great APC's.

Vjeszczi
08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
So what should be covered when detailing an engine? Honestly, short of the locations where to check and add fluids and the battery, I have no idea what is what inside my engine compartment.

I am guessing that all of the electrical wiring would need to be covered, but what else?

I have a 2005 Forester XT and 2007 Honda Accord

S2K
08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
So what should be covered when detailing an engine? Honestly, short of the locations where to check and add fluids and the battery, I have no idea what is what inside my engine compartment.

I am guessing that all of the electrical wiring would need to be covered, but what else?

I have a 2005 Forester XT and 2007 Honda Accord

All the places to check/add fluids are sealed or else the fluids would come out. The battery is sealed, I've washed batteries with a baking soda solution and poured water all over them. If you try and cover all wiring you will have to cover the entire engine compartment, Most wiring connectors are watertight. The key is to keep "high pressure" away from the wiring and alternator, a light rinse of water on wiring probably won't hurt. I've washed many engines with high pressure and have never had a problem, just have to keep the pressure away from sensitive components.

DARK HORSE
08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I've found it best to cover the alternator. I use a large ziplock baggie and duct tape the baggie closed around the alternator. Some alternators do not have sealed bearings and water can get down inside them and ruin them...Like others have stated be careful using pressure washing, I've found when using a good cleaner like ARO, or an APC there is no need for pressure washing. Be sure to work on a cool engine compartment. After cleansing I blow dry with a leaf blower and start the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes...

Buckskincolt
08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I've found it best to cover the alternator. I use a large ziplock baggie and duct tape the baggie closed around the alternator. Some alternators do not have sealed bearings and water can get down inside them and ruin them...Like others have stated be careful using pressure washing, I've found when using a good cleaner like ARO, or an APC there is no need for pressure washing. Be sure to work on a cool engine compartment. After cleansing I blow dry with a leaf blower and start the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes...

What Tad said :iagree:I use ARO (Amazing Roll-offf)

Vjeszczi
08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
After cleansing I blow dry with a leaf blower and start the engine and let it run for about 10 minutes...

Just covering all my bases with this question, remove the baggie from the alternator before starting the car, correct?

Bullitt AK
08-14-2010, 09:24 PM
^ yes or the bag will get wrapped up in the pulley/belt and id personally cover the air filter also which you would also remove prior to starting

DARK HORSE
08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
^ yes or the bag will get wrapped up in the pulley/belt and id personally cover the air filter also which you would also remove prior to starting

:whs:

CEE DOG
08-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I used alum foil to wrap the alternator. Really quick and easy. That was the only thin I wrapped but depending on what engines I run across in the future I'm sure there will be time a couple other things will get covered.

DARK HORSE
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I used alum foil to wrap the alternator. Really quick and easy. That was the only thin I wrapped but depending on what engines I run across in the future I'm sure there will be time a couple other things will get covered.

Thats a great idea Corey!

Wax Gorilla
08-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Use a Steam Machine like a Sharkys. No harmful Strong Chemicals that may enter electronic Components are Ruin painted surfaces. 100% Safe.