PDA

View Full Version : ONR - Why the new formula?

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
08-13-2010, 07:29 PM
I still have a good deal of my ONR left (old formula) and I love it. My question is has anybody asked Dr. G why the new formula? Does anybody prefer the new formula. I love Optimum products personally but would like to hear from people that have used both more then once. Which do you prefer and why?

Jumpingbean
08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm curious about the new formula too. I have a bunch of ONR left but I'm not sure if it's the old or new formula. When did it change?

feslope
08-13-2010, 08:52 PM
My question is has anybody asked Dr. G why the new formula?Yes, I did exactly that at Detail Fest. Per Dr. G. the new formula has significant more lubrication. I have not tried it as I also have a pretty good supply of the older product.

DARK HORSE
08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, I did exactly that at Detail Fest. Per Dr. G. the new formula has significant more lubrication. I have not tried it as I also have a pretty good supply of the older product.

Me too. What are we going to do with all this old product, so we can get onto the new stuff. Maybe the government would consider a "cash for (old) ONR" program...Kinda like the "cash for clunkers" program. Probably more benefical IMO (at least to me) :D

ScottB
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Me too. What are we going to do with all this old product, so we can get onto the new stuff. Maybe the government would consider a "cash for (old) ONR" program...Kinda like the "cash for clunkers" program. Probably more benefical IMO (at least to me) :D
I recently tried the newer version after running out and noticed more lubrication. I believe it is suggested if offers a glossier look when used as a quick detailer but havent tried yet.

Rsurfer
08-13-2010, 09:12 PM
The only difference that I can tell is that it smells fruity and the color is a deeper blue. When mixed as a QD with water the new formula stays blue a little longer. As far as lubricancy goes, can't really feel the difference. So you guys with the old formula don't feel like your missing out on something great. Both old and new works well.

DARK HORSE
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I recently tried the newer version after running out and noticed more lubrication. I believe it is suggested if offers a glossier look when used as a quick detailer but havent tried yet.

I tried it (old formula) as a QD and didn't like it much. I like other tradional QD's (like FK-425) much better. But I have found other uses for ONR; like clay lube and adding some to car soaps for added lubrication.

ScottB
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I tried it (old formula) as a QD and didn't like it much. I like other tradional QD's (like FK-425) much better. But I have found other uses for ONR; like clay lube and adding some to car soaps for added lubrication.

:iagree:

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm curious about the new formula too. I have a bunch of ONR left but I'm not sure if it's the old or new formula. When did it change?
I think Feb or so.
Corey from what I read and IME it adds more gloss . I believe it does. It also has a mulberry scent. Personally I like the smell of the old version. I gave my older ONR to one of my boys after I convinced myself it was more glossy. I like it better than DPRW too FWIW.

CEE DOG
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. Makes me happy to know everybody is at least just as happy with the new stuff for when I need more.

My main uses of ONR:

Removing fresh bugs off the front bumper as a QD
A capfull in the bucket with my regular wash soap
Clay lube
Occasionally do a rinsless wash

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 10:03 PM
QD strength works great to add a non slip gloss to SUV Running Boards for the last touch after a wash. Megs Ultimate Protectant provides a more durable non slip finish IME but takes much more time. Dont put a UV spray like 303 on them. It is very slippery.

DARK HORSE
08-13-2010, 10:11 PM
QD strength works great to add a non slip gloss to SUV Running Boards for the last touch after a wash. Megs Ultimate Protectant provides a more durable non slip finish IME but takes much more time. Dont put a UV spray like 303 on them. It is very slippery.

:iagree: I've never used it (ONR QD strength ) for SUV Running Boards, but I have used it for just that same reason (non slip gloss) on motorcycle tire faces, seats, foot pegs, and grips :props:

kronos
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I've only used one 32oz. bottle of each and this is how I believe they compare.

Old ONR:
I didn't like the smell.
Lubricity was good (I used it mostly as a clay lube).
It didn't leave any shine in QD strength.

New ONR:
It smells like bubble gum.
Lubricity is slightly better when used with clay.
It leaves an unexpected shine.

Yesterday I used ONR in QD strength to dry my girl's car and was surprised it left a noticeable shine. I used it as a drying aid and sprayed the whole car down before wiping. For the same price I'd definitely say it was an improvement. I'd even pay a little more because I enjoy the smell of it, unlike the old ONR.

Old Tiger
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Old ONR:
I didn't like the smell.

New ONR:

Yesterday I used ONR in QD strength to dry my girl's car and was surprised it left a noticeable shine. I used it as a drying aid and sprayed the whole car down before wiping. For the same price I'd definitely say it was an improvement. I'd even pay a little more because I enjoy the smell of it, unlike the old ONR.
I noticed extra gloss but mine smells like berries. My OID smells like bubble gum.

Bunky
08-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Old ONR:
I didn't like the smell.

New ONR:

This sounds more like DP Rinseless Wash and Gloss not ONR.