PDA

View Full Version : Hazy Windshield

dannyboy20
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I can never seam to get the inside of my windshield haze free. I have been using Stoners glass cleaner with cotton towels and even microfiber towels. It will look clean until the sun hits it at the right angle and the haze appears. Any ideas ?

Mindflux
08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Same problem with SIG here. Switch cleaners.

Mike Phillips
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
What are you working on?

Brand new cars are prone to "Vinyl Fog", that's where you get a nasty film build-up of all the icky substances used to make the high plastic content of modern cars out-gassing inside the car and while the film is probably on all surfaces you see it on the window.

One tip for getting windows clean is switch to a clean, dry microfiber after making the initial wipe to remove the film and glass cleaner. If you continue using the same cloth your removed the film and glass cleaner with then the chance that you will simply transfer this gunk back onto the window is always a possibility.

In the Diamondite line there's Diamondite® Glasswork Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/dia-glasswork-restorer.html), which can be used by hand to cut through and dissolve any stubborn films and then afterwards clean with a glass cleaner.

:)

S2K
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I used SIG for the first time today and I did notice after cleaning a slight haze to the glass so I buffed with a clean dry MF and the haze went away and was very clear. I had read good and bad results with it and decided to try hoping I would be one of the good and I think I was.

ScottB
08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I find the aerosol version of Invisible Glass to remove the haze on glass best. You do need to spray liberally before removing. Stay outside of direct heat and sunlight. Consider rebuffing with a clean towel or flip to a clean/dry section.

Flash Gordon
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
If its possible leave your windows cracked a 1/2 inch or your moonroof in the tilt position. This will help reduce this fog you speak of

BobbyG
08-14-2010, 05:12 AM
There's all sorts of things inside a car that sticks to things like glass. Vinyl out-gassing, smoking, and even AC seem to leave a film on it as well.

The key to an easy clean relies on routine maintenance and using a quality cleaner and Microfiber glass towels. I say glass towel because the waffle texture of this towel clean and absorb better than a Microfiber polishing towel. Cobra makes a nice one and the one's I use regularly. I found that cotton towels tend to smear and spread the messy film rather than remove it.

I clean my glass with Stoners Invisible Glass and a Microfiber glass towel. This combination cleans very well and leaves a streak-free shine. An area of frustration is always the corners and those hard to reach areas. I picked up one of these gizmo's, it works pretty nice and avoids all the twisting and contorted positions normally associated with cleaning.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Glass.jpg

Millennium
08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I use invisible aerosol glass cleaner and 2-3 microfiber towels. Never use too much glass cleaner. I do half of the windshield at a time. Concentrate on buffing away the haze rather than applying more solution.

Impressions
08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
first step is cleaning the top edge....open window slightly, clean inside and outside edge, close window, As for window cleaner I've found that less is better.....by less I mean just enuf window cleaner to clean the glass, not saturate it. Picture frame the window (wipe around the outside) first, than hit the center, turn microfiber and repeat. I have very few problems with glass

Sometimes if they are real badly smoked in, I'll saturate the glass, wipe, let dry than repeat with my first method

Most of the glass cleaner I use I won't cut---use it straight

on cars that I wash weekly, most of the time I just use a clean damp microfiber towel and use the same method without window cleaner