PDA

View Full Version : Do some clay lubes "eat" another brand of clay?

Silverstone
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I had used Sonus clay with Sonus clay lube a while back, and later on decided to use the lube with some megs clay I had around. The megs clay got really soft and sticky and seemed to be falling apart too fast, and coming off on my hands where it never did with Megs lube. Are there compatibility issues with some of these products?

The Sonus clay also fell apart too quick but I just assumed it was the clay and not the lube. I didn't like it at all.

ScottB
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I have seen some car washes break down clay, it looks fiberous. Never really noted using other clay specific lubes however.

CEE DOG
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
It wasn't the clay. I've used it and its nice. I use ONR as a lube and it has worked with any of the 3 clay brands I have used

canairb
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I was using Meguiar's clay and an OTC car soap for lube. The car soap caused the clay to fall apart. Haven't had that problem with a dedicated clay lube.

Fly bye
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I have some clay from 6 years ago before Kupala was sued by Clay Magic. I have used Dawn in the past. As a matter of fact, I have stored my clay in the bucket with the soapy solution for hours at a time. I think I may have left the clay in the bucket for 1-2 days once or twice. The Kupala clay never, ever fell apart, stuck to my hands, crumbled, never got really soft ect. It is somewhat sticky, but it doesn't stick to my hands, nor does it fall apart/crumble while kneading it.

If I'd have known the maker of this clay was going to get sued, and clay magic was going to win the patent on detailing clay, I'd have bought a lot more of it.

Emm
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I have some clay from 6 years ago before Kupala was sued by Clay Magic. I have used Dawn in the past. As a matter of fact, I have stored my clay in the bucket with the soapy solution for hours at a time. I think I may have left the clay in the bucket for 1-2 days once or twice. The Kupala clay never, ever fell apart, stuck to my hands, crumbled, never got really soft ect. It is somewhat sticky, but it doesn't stick to my hands, nor does it fall apart/crumble while kneading it.

If I'd have known the maker of this clay was going to get sued, and clay magic was going to win the patent on detailing clay, I'd have bought a lot more of it.

I know that owner Kukala that got sued, what a mess! His clay was very good.

Fly bye
08-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I misspelled the dudes name.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/wall2.gif

Matt
08-13-2010, 04:13 AM
I think they do. I've used several shampoos as clay lube and every time it behaved as above, caused the clay to fall apart.

I also didn't find ONR to work too well as a clay lube with my meguiars clay, but haven't used it with my Pinnacle clay.

The Pinnacle Clay Lube works real nice, and DP rinseless wash and gloss also works very nicely as a clay lube.

BobbyG
08-13-2010, 05:40 AM
I've never seen this either. I too have left clay in water for several days bu accident and not a problem at all. I make my own clay solution and have used detail solutions by countless suppliers and never had it affect the clay.

I'm using Meguiar's clay right now without any issues....

Silverstone
09-07-2010, 04:44 PM
The sonus clay fell apart too but I just blamed the clay itself, not the sonus lube. Then then the megs that I always used with no troubles fell apart with the sonus lube too! I guess I'm going to toss that lube. I have some DP 4 in 1 stuff that works as a lube so I'll be trying that next.

Vjeszczi
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I have used ONR with Pinnacle Poly Clay, some Mothers OTC clay, and DP clay with no issues. I tried using the clay lube that came with the mothers clay, but preferred the ONR and went back to it.