PDA

View Full Version : pinnacle xmt/pinnacle advanced difference?

ssautonova
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes I am a newbie, but I am wondering what the difference is and is it worth the extra money for the advanced? Thanks in advance. I will take any other recommendations for a beginner that is getting started in machine polishing for a hobby on my own cars.

2kredbb6
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I wasnt very happy with the XMT line, not sure about the advanced..

ssautonova
08-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Well i decided on the Porter Cable 7424XP, pinnacle complete swirl remover kit, and pinnacle ultra poly clay. I just was trying it out on my gray tonneau cover on my ford ranger.
I am having a tought time removing scratches and some blemishes.
My question is what can I expect to remove with this package? I am afraid I didn't get an aggressive enough swirl remover, or I am doing something wrong. I used the white ccs pad then changed to the more aggresive orange pad. It did remove some of the blemishes and smoothed some of the scratches but I can still see them. I have went over the areas 3 times.
Thanks for your help

2kredbb6
08-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Have you tried a little more pressure? W/orange ccs pad an slower passes.
XMT line Gave me the same problems, little no correction..

A4 1.8tqm
08-21-2010, 04:03 PM
My question is what can I expect to remove with this package?

As a general rule of thumb, you can expect-

A "finishing" polish to take the swirl-free finish to the next level, giving the wet glossy look that is so sought after. Also can be used to touch up light marring like from a buddy leaning on your car then saying "oh, sorry" and wiping the area with his shirt.

A "swirl remover" polish to take care of the spider web swirls that are inevitable on a daily driver. A "swirl remover" should finish marring-free to the naked eye, but still can be improved on.

A "compound" to take care of the worst of your correctable flaws, meaning that there are scratches that a compound will not be able to correct, like if you can feel it with your finger nail don't get your hopes too high. A "compound" will likely leave the finish marred and will need to be followed up with a "swirl remover" (and then a finishing polish if you desire).

I am afraid I didn't get an aggressive enough swirl remover, or I am doing something wrong.

If your in a hurry, grab some Megs 105 or Ultimate Compound locally for those scratches, the swirl remover isn't "cutting it". :p Trying to remove a scratch with a gentile swirl remover to tough at best, Pinnacle ASR is a gentile swirl remover.

How long are you working the area? Do you work the polish until it's just about gone, or is there a lot of polish residue on the paint still when you wipe clean to check your results?

I recommend working on an area no larger than the size of 4 of the pads that are on your machine. Apply the polish to the pad and dab it on the area to be polished in a

pattern (the size of four pads) then spread at low speed. Polish with the machine at high speed but move slow, count to 10 on each pass. 50% overlaps on each pass, side to side then top to bottom until the polish residue left after a pass is minimal. Referred to as "flashing" the polish residue will become almost clear, indicating that the abrasives have been broken down. IME, It's important to sufficiently work a polish that has diminishing abrasives to get the finish that is intended. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover has Diminishing Abrasives.

ssautonova
08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I tried the first few times doing the passes as stated in the videos on here, Then i started doing a couple more passes slower than what the videos have stated. I started by putting an even amount massaged into the pad then put a couple of dabs prior to starting each new session. I noticed dry white specs coming off so intermittently I misted pad conditioner on the pad to keep it moist. (don't know if this effects the abrasives but it was in one of the videos I watched)
If I can't get all the scrathes out will the Liquid Sovereign fill/hide them? I will try working a smaller specific area again tomorrow, and try and find some 105 locally to see if that helps.
Thanks for your reply

A4 1.8tqm
08-22-2010, 01:21 AM
I noticed dry white specs coming off...

Cleaning the spent polish (including the clear coat that was removed by polishing) from the pad will help minimize the "dusting".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24NiGvBRgQ]YouTube - Pad cleaning "On the Fly" w/ Flex 3401[/video]

Bunky
08-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Interesting video. I assume for time's sake the person did not do the entire face. The bad news seems to be that someone is moving their yard nearby while he is polishing the paint. When I do work outside the garage, there is always some airborne debris getting on the paint....mowing does not make things better.

ssautonova
08-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh well, I tried using megs ultimate compound today and pretty much the same reults. I guess the scrathes are to deep to be polished out. The ultimate compound did seem to be easier to work though no dusting or caking. I finished the whole process on the tonneau cover with the finishing polish and the liquid sovereign. The finishing polish works real well for me has a long working time and the liquid sovereign went on well. Hopefully the vehicle paint will come out better, maybe it has a softer clear compared to the tonneau cover.

ssautonova
08-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I did use the advice of A4 1.8tqm it helped, Thanks

A4 1.8tqm
08-24-2010, 03:26 AM
I did use the advice of A4 1.8tqm it helped, Thanks

Glad I was able to help. :xyxthumbs: Post some pics when you get the paint all polished. :D

Interesting video. I assume for time's sake the person did not do the entire face. The bad news seems to be that someone is moving their yard nearby while he is polishing the paint. When I do work outside the garage, there is always some airborne debris getting on the paint....mowing does not make things better.

It's only a demonstration, no polish on the pad. I shot the video as requested by another AG member who was trying to get a hang on the concept of "on the fly" pad cleaning.