PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Wax from Black Trim

fredroe
08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
With the help of this forum, my detailing skills and expectations have increased drastically over the past couple of months. I’m now seeing the mistakes I’ve made in the past. Most noticeable is the wax I accidently got onto black textured trim parts. I would appreciate any tips for getting the wax off the trim?

kb2ehj
08-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Ive never used it myself, but Duragloss has a product called Wax Eraser.

Duragloss Wax Eraser (WE) #481 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-wax-eraser.html)

Looks interesting but again I've never used it. Maybe someone here on the forums can tell you if it works or not.

Another idea is maybe you could use a small nail brush and some APC cleaner or wash water while your cleaning the car next. I've used this method on my Honda Element as just a general cleaning tool on the external plastic and it did a great job in cleaning the dirt out. As a side note, the brush didn't scratch the plastic either.

AeroCleanse
08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
IPA then dress, easy.

sgtmillhouse648
08-12-2010, 01:35 PM
IPA and dress or poorboy's trim restorer. Really does a great job at pulling any wax/compound residue out.

SeaJay's
08-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I have to agree with the IPA and a stiff bristle brush. Toothbrush works well.

J1nx93
08-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Just take a regular pink eraser from a pencil or whatever, takes it off pretty good.

Old Tiger
08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
DP Cleanse All applied to a cheap MF and applied to trim with a little elbow grease works well on trim and rubber IME.

ScottB
08-12-2010, 06:24 PM
peanut butter

Buckskincolt
08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
peanut butter

Creamy or Crunchy?:hungry:

Bunky
08-13-2010, 06:56 AM
The problem I have had is the plastic is actually stained due to polish or wax so the best I can do is cover it with a good dressing like PB's Trim Restorer.

Stittville Ed
08-13-2010, 07:21 AM
On a Chevy van textured bumper after trying all of the above the only thing that did work was a APC mixed 50/50 or stronger and a tooth brush.
Takes some time but looked like brand new when completed.

Someone posted it on this forum a long time ago.
Al53 or Sparkie may have posted it but not sure.

Mike Phillips
08-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I can't even begin to count how many threads I've read like this on detailing discussion forums...

Pebble textured black plastic trim has to be one of the worse creations to come from car manufactures bar none except for maybe plastic headlight lenses.

Pebble textured black plastic is just one of the reasons I don't like working on new cars because you really need to tape all of it off with painters tape because even if you're very careful while polishing and waxing the exterior it's inevitable that you'll get some kind of residue into the pebbled texture and it's such a pain to try to remove.

And it's not just the pebble textured black plastic trim it's any of the black or gray plastic trim used on modern cars around windows, doors, sunroofs, any seams, etc. All you have to do is polish out one classic car pre-1972ish and you'll be able to appreciate chrome and stainless steel trim and you'll come to despise plastic trim...

For the most part it's appears to be almost impossible to remove 100% so the best you can do is remove as much of it as you can and then apply a dressing to mask the white residue which is now permanently embedded.

No pebble textured black plastic trim on these cars (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/27854-street-rod-nationals.html)...

:)

Stittville Ed
08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Pebble textured black plastic trim has to be one of the worse creations to come from car manufactures bar none except for maybe plastic headlight lense

pre-1972ish and you'll be able to appreciate chrome and stainless steel trim and you'll come to despise plastic trim...:)

You are 100% correct :xyxthumbs:

I did get my bumpers clean but it did take a very long time..............................

grantm
08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
With trim that's actually stained by the wax, I've found that M40 will remove the wax stains and other stains on plastic with ease.