PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NH!

Camman
08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone, I wanted to introduce myself as I have been browsing the forum and the autogeek.net site the last couple of weeks and finally registered just the other day.

I used to just wash my car with whatever cheap car wash I could find and rarely I would put on some wax. But I just recently bought a new car, a 2010 Subaru Forester XT that I like a lot and I figured it's time to learn how to detail the car the right way, I want to keep it looking good and especially learn how to prep it for protection through our harsh winters.

So far I have been reading the guides on autogeek.net to try and get started but I am looking at products and have been overwhelmed by all the choices! I have purchased some Mothers products and some microfiber towels to get started, I have been looking at the Wolfgang products especially the tire/wheel kit but I am just getting started and trying to learn through the guides and the forums.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I'm excited to get into detailing, I like to keep my car looking good and it looks like there is lots of info here to help me out.

Cam

SeaJay's
08-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Welcome Camman! Where abouts in NH are you? I'm in MA about 10 minutes from the NH border.

And it is over whelming with all the products and processes out there. You basically need to just find what works for you. You can try out everything over time. The forums will definitely help you in making choices though.

Camman
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Welcome Camman! Where abouts in NH are you? I'm in MA about 10 minutes from the NH border.

And it is over whelming with all the products and processes out there. You basically need to just find what works for you. You can try out everything over time. The forums will definitely help you in making choices though.

Thanks for the welcome! I am in the Seacoast area, southern NH, so I'm pretty close to the Mass border.

Although the choices are overwhelming it actually does seem like it will be cool to try out a lot of different products and techniques. I only wish I had gotten into it in the spring time, instead of when the summer is winding down.

How does everyone on here keep their cars nice through the winter months when you can't wash and wax? There's one of those touchless deals near me so I figure I'll be making frequent use of that once the road salt starts hitting the pavement.

DonMTV
08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
ONR Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. New Formula! (http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html) will be your best friend in the winter time. A lot of people here use it during the winter to keep their vehicles clean. The touchless washes are still bad as they use harsher chemicals, the water isn't clean enough, and high pressure spray to clean. In a pinch I used them last winter on my car, but it is best to use something like the ONR.

You will want to set up your vehicle with a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, auto paint sealant, car sealant, clear coat sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-lock-sealant-32.html) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html) Optimum Poli-Seal, Optimum Polish Sealant, Opti-Seal (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-poli-seal.html)

You could then top with a wax, and Collinite is known for it durability during the winter. Collinite Car Wax Products, Collinite Wax, Insulator Wax, collinite 845, collinite double coat (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite.html)

Good luck, and take your time checking things out as this hobby along with the great deals Autogeek as to offer will kill your bank account.

Don

Clinton, MA. here.

SeaJay's
08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I am in the Seacoast area, southern NH, so I'm pretty close to the Mass border.

Although the choices are overwhelming it actually does seem like it will be cool to try out a lot of different products and techniques. I only wish I had gotten into it in the spring time, instead of when the summer is winding down.

How does everyone on here keep their cars nice through the winter months when you can't wash and wax? There's one of those touchless deals near me so I figure I'll be making frequent use of that once the road salt starts hitting the pavement.

I've always had bad experiences at touchless car washes. I had one scratch the whole tail gate of my truck cause the alignment on the machine was off. I ended up getting into it with the owner of the place cause he claimed I didn't pull in far enough. Long story short I ended up having to pay to have my tailgate repainted.

Camman
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the product recommendations, I'm definitely going to look into that rinseless wash, I unfortunately don't have a garage but on a warmer winter day I could see being able to do it outside to get the road salt off.

I guess I'll be avoiding the touchless wash after the info you guys provided, that's too bad about your truck, I always thought the touchless was okay but I could see how the high pressure could drive stuff into your paint, and I was wondering what was actually in the "wax" that is quickly sprayed on and off of the car and how it could be wax. Doing the rinseless will save me money too, it's like $9/wash for the touchless one here.

I can definitly see how this hobby is one I could be sinking a lot of money into... Especially with all the products I now want to try and compare from just a few days of browsing...

SeaJay's
08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
You'll definitely be sinking some money into it! In the past month and half I've probably dropped $400 on products/supplies. Trying out different stuff.

mtnbiker
08-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome, I'm from Hudson.
One of the best things I've learned here is using FK 425 occasionally after washes.
It really helps prolong waxing & helps bead forever. ( seems like anyway)
Take advantage of this weekends 20%off sale! It's a lot of fun,.

Camman
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Welcome, I'm from Hudson.
One of the best things I've learned here is using FK 425 occasionally after washes.
It really helps prolong waxing & helps bead forever. ( seems like anyway)
Take advantage of this weekends 20%off sale! It's a lot of fun,.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Do I have to enter anything special for the 20% off or is it just going all weekend if I place an order? Having the 20% off is convincing me to try the wolfgang tire/wheel kit I was looking at.....

Pampered, good-looking tires and wheels are just minutes away with the Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wg8500.html)

mtnbiker
08-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Yes, when you click on "store" it will tell you on that page what code to enter.

Mike Phillips
08-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Meghan
08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Welcome, I went to school in Suncook NH, love NH!

BobbyG
08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
:welcome:

New Hampshire is my favorite state to visit. It's one of the places I wished I had moved to a long time ago! I can't tell you how many times I've climbed and hiked Mount Washington through the years.....:props:

New Hampshire, the way life should be.....

mtnbiker
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Love it here. I've hiked 23 of the 48, 4000 footers but yet to do Mt Washington. To busy this year so far.