PDA

View Full Version : Dang windows...

clm65
08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I just tackled my least favorite part of cleaning...the inside of the windshield. I've been procastinating on this for some time, so it really was ready for it. I got one of those cheap "as seen on TV" windshield cleaners for Xmas that I've never used, so I gave it a shot per its directions (i.e., with water only). The tool seemed good enough, but didn't do much cleaning. Then I tried it with Stoner's window cleaner...a little better, but still left dirt/streaks behind and in some large areas it just looked like the dirt and smudges were on the outside because they didn't change appearance after multiple aggressive wipes on the inside. But when I ran my finger through them, it was obvious they were on the inside. Next I broke out a Cobra waffle weave glass towel I just got from AG. I sprayed a little Stoners on it and it did better but not great. Finally I used a dry part of the waffle weave towel. It sounded and felt like I was wiping a dry towel over a dry, rough surface, but after a little effort the glass was finally pretty darn clean. Bottom line, the waffle weave towel worked great after I found a technique that worked for me. But I'm sure I'm not doing it quite right. Any tips?

Arnie36
08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
well what i do is, after a dose of glass cleaner, i would just buff the streaks off with a fresh microfiber.

Rsurfer
08-11-2010, 11:42 PM
You probably have a lot of build up of crap. May take several cleaning to get it crystal clear. Don't kill yourself trying to get it perfect the first time. Lesson learned, don't let it go too long before cleaning. My ac is always on, but I still hit the interior windows every 3 months.

Bullitt AK
08-11-2010, 11:48 PM
go over it with whatever glass towel you are using with a little extra cleaner on it the first time,and flip it as needed to get it as streak free as possible for the first time around. I like to spray the cleaner on the glass or inside windshield as opposed to spraying it on the towel..if i am doing an inside windshield i just kind of hold the towel under or in front of where im spraying so it doesnt go everywhere. after that then fold the towel again and use a little less cleaner , still periodically flipping to a clean side

should be streak free/clean now pretty much but if its not then flip to a clean side again and very lightly mist the glass or towel then go over it 1 last time

having large or multiple glass towels comes in handy - im not sure how big the cobra ww is

BobbyG
08-12-2010, 06:13 AM
The inside of the windshield on most vehicles is, lets just say; a challenge! :laughing:

The key to an easy clean relies on routine maintenance and using a quality cleaner and Microfiber glass towels.

I clean my glass with Stoners Invisible Glass and a Microfiber glass towel. This combination cleans very well and leaves a streak-free shine. An area of frustration is always the corners and those hard to reach areas. I picked up one of these gizmo's, it works pretty nice and avoids all the twisting and contorted positions normally associated with cleaning.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Glass.jpg

StoneRaizer
08-12-2010, 07:35 AM
I believe it was Barry Meguiar who once said: "frequent car care is easy car care."

The point is - don't procrastinate! Make cleaning the inside of your windows part of your monthly detailing routine and you won't have this problem in the future. :xyxthumbs:

jsgntulok
08-13-2010, 10:16 PM
My favorite combination now is Megs Glass Cleaner and Cobra WW Window cleaning microfiber, using two towels, the first to quick wipe off the glass cleaner, the second to final polish. Then, for the windshield and back glass, I use a tool similar to one shown above, lightly mist it with glass cleaner then do a final wipe down, paying special attention to corners and the bottom edge.