PDA

View Full Version : LSP Removal

trekker
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering what kind of wash you guys use to get all the old wax and sealant off vehicles when you're just doing a typical wash and wax.

This morning I did a white GMC Envoy. It had horrifying amounts of iron filings in the paint that had created a healthy speckling of rust spots on most of the vehicle. I noticed while rinsing off the heavier debris, it certainly had some type of protection on it because it was still beading fairly strong. On most of the vehicles I do, I pre-soak with either CG Bug Bugger or OPC @ 3:1. Then I use CG Wash & Gloss at a fairly heavy dilution, probably around 0.5 oz. per gallon. I also used hot water, I have access to it from the spigot. This usually preps the paint pretty good for claying. However, after washing/rinsing the paint was still beading strong. Now, CG Wash and Gloss isn't considered a maintenance soap by any means and with an OPC dwell I figured it would strip it off. Dried the paint and decided to go to Aquartz Iron Cut to start eating away at the iron filings. The LSP was giving it a really hard time though. It worked but not near as good as it does on bare paint. So I let the Iron Cut dwell for a while and rinsed it off. It hadn't produced near the result I've seen it do before. So I figured I would clay (Riccardo Blue) to see if that would help out, and it knocked back whatever LSP was on there pretty good. So I did a second application of Iron Cut and it did a great job.

I was wondering if Dawn would have took care of this problem to begin with? I know a lot of folks here on the AGO use it to strip everything off to get the paint ready to work with. Would it have worked on whatever LSP I described?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

Ben

350z00m
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
i use dawn... and if anything lsp is left i think the clay would remove it all

Mike Phillips
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I was wondering if Dawn would have took care of this problem to begin with?

Depends upon the protection ingredients in the LSP. In the last 10 to 15 years there's been an increase in detergent resistant waxes and paint sealants, (the protection ingredients are proprietary so who knows what they would be), so while a strong detergent may remove some it might not completely strip the surface in every situation. Of course the problem is if you're working on a customer's car you might not know what type of product was last applied.

:)