PDA

View Full Version : Detailing stools?

Pages : [1] 2

Vjeszczi
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
So I'm looking around for a stool to use with detailing. I looked at the ones offered by AGO, but they seem too high to me, especially for wheels and lower body panels. So I though I would ask what you folks use to get the lower areas of the vehicles you are detailing.

Ideally it would be a stool with adjustable height that would allow me easy access to both lower and upper body panels so I don't have to either bend over or reach up. I am 5'10" if that makes any difference.

AV8R
08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I use a cheapie from Harbor freight to work on cars, bikes, everything. It's pneumatic and cheap. I've had mine 10 years and it still works fine.

Pneumatic Adjustable Roller Seat (http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html)

They also have one with flames on the seat for the same $$

Rsurfer
08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I use a cheapie from Harbor freight to work on cars, bikes, everything. It's pneumatic and cheap. I've had mine 10 years and it still works fine.

Pneumatic Adjustable Roller Seat (http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html)

They also have one with flames on the seat for the same $$That will work, but it's still too high for wheels and lower panels. I use it, but use a cheap Rubbermaid step stool for the lower parts.

AV8R
08-11-2010, 01:44 PM
That will work, but it's still too high for wheels and lower panels. I use it, but use a cheap Rubbermaid step stool for the lower parts.

I guess it depends on the person. I use mine for all that stuff. Just used it to put brakes on my wife's Hyundai and my Echo. I'm 6-1.

S2K
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I guess it depends on the person. I use mine for all that stuff. Just used it to put brakes on my wife's Hyundai and my Echo. I'm 6-1.

You are 6'1" and fit in an Echo?

evilwrx
08-11-2010, 02:10 PM
That chair is around for cheaper than HF has it for. Sam's Club is $19.95. Looks like a decent chair though.

2kredbb6
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
That chair is around for cheaper than HF has it for. Sam's Club is $19.95. Looks like a decent chair though.

Got the same thing at Sears fathers day sale $19.95.

If you need something lower, that stool goes really low. You might want to get some like lawn care stool someone posted here your practically on your knees but your butt sits on a stool kinda weird to describe an look at, but it works great. They mentioned they got it at Lowes in the gardening section..

Or some cardboard an laydown on it?:eek:

ScottB
08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Look for a small plastic garden cart, sold often locally. It has 4 wheels and made for sitting while gardening so its a bit lower to ground.

rwisejr
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
This isn't cheap but is what I use for long detailing sessions..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/racpic2.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21066)

POPPAJ
08-13-2010, 05:44 AM
For wheels and lower body panels I drive the car up on ramps one end at a time!

Bunky
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I have one of the cheap ones with the round seats. The seat elevates up and down. I think the quality of the casters is important. The cheaper ones like mine have small hard casters. They are ok but do not roll as nicely. It works but do not back support.

vet
08-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I use the same type as rsufer, but I got mine at Sears with a gift card I got for Christmas. I think it cost around $39. They have one with a back rest which is around 80, but if I spent that much, I'd rather spend a little more and get the one from AG when it goes on sale. I'm 6 foot, and don't have problems with the stool, except when I lean too much and it tips out from under. Also, my driveway is sloped, so it rolls away when I'm not on it. I'll use it until I find something better that I can afford.

vet
08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
They make a creeper that has a seat also, around 30 bucks. It looks like a Z with the seat up. I had one, but broke the caster when I sat on it wrong, or maybe when it caught a crack in the driveway. It's probably my own fault, as I'm not a skinny person. It wasn't adjustable, but it was better than sitting on the ground.

The garden cart that killrwheels suggested is not a bad idea. There's also room for supplies in it.

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I have one of the cheap ones with the round seats. The seat elevates up and down. I think the quality of the casters is important. The cheaper ones like mine have small hard casters. They are ok but do not roll as nicely. It works but do not back support.
I have had trouble with casters big time! The bearings fell out of my cheapo china mmade one. I got the one from Griots that has a back rest. I like it but a caster is defective . Griots said they upgraded the casters and they would ship from Supplier mid June, Long stoery made short, I hope to get them next week! I have a PayPal Detailing Cart that is very well made and doubles as a stool but isnt adjustable. I also have a pad for a 5 gallon bucket. If the casters for the Griots dont suit me, I will buy the Kreep Stool from AG. Does anyone know a good caster to replace the cheapo Chinese ones??

Old Tiger
08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
I use the same type as rsufer, but I got mine at Sears with a gift card I got for Christmas. I think it cost around $39. They have one with a back rest which is around 80, but if I spent that much, I'd rather spend a little more and get the one from AG when it goes on sale. I'm 6 foot, and don't have problems with the stool, except when I lean too much and it tips out from under. Also, my driveway is sloped, so it rolls away when I'm not on it. I'll use it until I find something better that I can afford.
I have had the same thing happen to me and have a sloped driveway. One locking caster would be nice!