PDA

View Full Version : PC and gel-coat

FLMike
04-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I've learned Gel coat and clear coat are two entirely different things...

The PC took out a lot of the marks on my boat where something had been transferred to the finish (dock stain I'm guessing)...but it does nothing for scratches in the gel coat..after monkeying around I used 500 then 1000 grit wet sanding to remove the scratches, then the PC with the orange (small pad that came "free" with the PC) light cutting pad and finesse-it to restore the shine...worked great..
I'm not sure why, but the yellow "cutting" pad I purchased was pretty much useless...the small orange freebie worked great though...guess I'll toss the yellow pad.

I put on a coat of marine sealant with teflon in it, same stuff I've been using by hand for years...this year I can apply TWO coats...applying the sealant took very little time and effort...removing the scratches worked me like a slave in a steel mill, but that's 12 years of scratches virtually gone..

Next up...Jet ski, I think I'll teach my kids how to use the PC...

Neothin
04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
you might want to pick up a different sealant. Teflon isnt going to do anything seeing as it needs to reach hundreds of degrees to bond. I'm glad the PC helped you get the boat looking great again though :D

FLMike
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I've been using this stuff for 4-5 years it seems to last longer than anything I've ever used..it also to puts down a really slick finish, it washes quickly. On gel coat it seems like anything finishes slick though...even the finesse-it finishes slick...