PDA

View Full Version : D151 Problems

The Critic
08-11-2010, 01:59 AM
I used D151 with a LC HydroTech Tangerine Pad on my '96 Saturn SL2 and although the combination cleaned up the paint, it did little in the area of swirl removal. I am using a Flex 3401XRG on speed 5 with four passes.

The amount of swirls on the paint are light, especially for a 15 year old car. I'm guessing that this is because the clearcoat is very hard?

Considering that D151 and the HydroTech tangerine did not do the job, is it safe to use an LC orange pad? I was always told to only use the white pad (or gentler) with AIO type products.

Thanks.

kb2ehj
08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
You can use any pad combination you wish with it.

Do a test section, like Mike P advocates in his posts, to see what pad/product combination will work for you.

I used D151 w/ LC Orange Flat pads on this car. Other then the big nasty scratches, all the swirls went away.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/27703-1996-honda-accord-red-poorboy-s-liquid-natty-s-blue-review.html

Mike Phillips
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Could be you're asking too much from a cleaner/wax...

If removing the swirls is of high importance perhaps consider using a dedicated swirl mark remover.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I was always told to only use the white pad (or gentler) with AIO type products.

Thanks.
:iagree:

Doesn't make sense to use anything more aggressive than a white pad with an AIO. If a more aggressive pad is needed, move to a true swirl mark remover as Mike said.

D_Nyholm
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry to drag this thread back up, but i'm having similar problems. I took some D151 with a rotary and white pad. Cleaned up the paint great on my black hood. Man were the holograms terrible afterward. I think tried a PC with a LC orange pad on speed 6. It cleaned up the swirls slightly but still left marring on the surface. Last, i tried the PC and white pad on speed 6. This just basically shined up the paint and did very little about swirl removal. I'm having trouble deciding if it is worth it to try to continue to use the product as I like what it says it offers and the price is great as well, but is it better for me to use something like Menzerna IP or SIP on a white pad (PC) and just follow up with something like Collinite 845 for protection? I feel I will get better swirl removal, better finishing, and better protection. Or am I just doing something wrong to think this???Feed back please

A4 1.8tqm
10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
These types of all in one polishes shouldn't be relied on for real correction work. I haven't used D151, but know XMT 360 and PB's PwS pretty well. I find these types of polishes to excel in "finishing" or "cleaning up" after the correction step or for touching up the light swirls that show up on a car that has already been fully corrected.

Expecting any product to: Clean the paint, fully remove "average" swirls, finish down to an Autogeekers standards AND provide protection? It's too much to ask, IMO. Unless the flaws are very minor, an average correction needs a dedicated SMR and then you can finish with a AIO. My $0.02

bodavenport
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
D151 works well for what it truly is and that IMO is a great "cleaning polish" like was stated above. If the finish is in pretty good shape it will make it a lot better if the finish needs major correction it just does not have the umph to do it.

D_Nyholm
10-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, that is the question, for a regular production detail, not personal cars, is it more worthwhile to so a single step polish like SIP or nano with a white pad and follow up with a quick coat of each or sealant or just save a little bit of time at the expense of quality?

Rob T
10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Could be you're asking too much from a cleaner/wax...

If removing the swirls is of high importance perhaps consider using a dedicated swirl mark remover.

:)

:iagree: