PDA

View Full Version : The AG order is coming, where do we start?

Maxima Mom
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Thank you to everyone who helped us revise our first order. We think we have it now, and we are getting ready to place. But, where do we start? Here is the order that I have learned from the forum. Please comment on the steps we need to add or eliminate! Or perhaps we mixed them up! How often do you do all these steps (how many times a year)?

1. Wash
2. clay
3. Wash
4. paint correction with Wolfgang 3.0 swirl remover and our new Griots Garage polisher (lots of swirling on the black Maxima and black mercedes ML55)
5. Seal with Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant 3.0
6. Use Wolfgang finish glaze 3.0
7. Wait a day then wax with Collinite 845 liquid wax insulatorhttp://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gifFeed back please (http://autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

sgtmillhouse648
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should glaze before sealing, so 5 and 6 should be reversed.

The first detail is always the toughest, but once the paint is finished and swirl/contaminant free, you will not have to do near as much work on it in the future. Typically you will wash the car on a regular basis, and then for the most part wax when beadage starts to diminish. After you wash the car, make sure to use the plastic baggie test for claying and observe it in direct sunlight to check for swirls. As long as the surface is free of contaminants and swirls, you should only need to seal/wax.

Collinite and WGDPS last a very long time. You may be able to get by with a full seal/wax once in the early spring after winter, and once in the fall before winter.

Maxima Mom
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should glaze before sealing, so 5 and 6 should be reversed.

The first detail is always the toughest, but once the paint is finished and swirl/contaminant free, you will not have to do near as much work on it in the future. Typically you will wash the car on a regular basis, and then for the most part wax when beadage starts to diminish. After you wash the car, make sure to use the plastic baggie test for claying and observe it in direct sunlight to check for swirls. As long as the surface is free of contaminants and swirls, you should only need to seal/wax.

Collinite and WGDPS last a very long time. You may be able to get by with a full seal/wax once in the early spring after winter, and once in the fall before winter.

I knew I mixed something up! So glaze first then seal! Got it!

WRAPT C5Z06
08-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Remember, TSR and FG are abrasive polishes. Take your time and make sure you break down the polish to get the best finish.

Emile
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Wolfgang has two polishes. The Total Swirl Remover for removing deeper swirls scratches, and the Finishing Glaze for removing light scratches and swirls, or scratches/swirls that the TSR may have left behind. It's called Finishing Glaze because it finishes clean and glossy, but make no mistake that Finishing Glaze is an abrasive machine polish.

You may only need to use the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and a white polishing pad to correct your cars, it depends on the condition of the paint. But you probably need to do two steps (Total Swirl Remover + Orange pad, then Finishing Glaze + White Pad).

After you are done with polishing, then apply two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I wouldn't add the Collinite wax because the Wolfgang Sealant really looks great, and the Collinite 845 looks best on lighter colored vehicles.

I like to clay approximately every 10,000 miles of driving, which is like every 8 months for me. I wash my car once a week religiously and my wash process is very thorough so even when I do clay, there is very little contamination embedded in my paint. You may have to clay more or less often depending on how much you drive, how often you wash your car, and the environmental conditions your car experiences. Basically every 6 to 18 months is a good idea for claying the vehicle, but realistically more like 6-12 months.

Polishing is based on how quickly scratches and swirls come back and how much you are willing to tolerate them...again, a variety of factors determine this, such as paint hardness (softness), your wash process, how often people lean up against your dirty car, etc.. Personally, I don't mind some light scratching on my car here and there, and my car is a daily driver. If you have a "garage queen" you may want to keep it show-car perfect all the time...it's entirely up to you. Some color paints also hide scratches better than others. For example, black shows EVERYTHING and will drive you mad trying to keep it pristine. Personally, I like to polish my car every 2 years, with just some spot-correcting in between that time, in areas that have been scratched up badly due to normal wear-and-tear.

Maxima Mom
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Wolfgang has two polishes. The Total Swirl Remover for removing deeper swirls scratches, and the Finishing Glaze for removing light scratches and swirls, or scratches/swirls that the TSR may have left behind. It's called Finishing Glaze because it finishes clean and glossy, but make no mistake that Finishing Glaze is an abrasive machine polish.

You may only need to use the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and a white polishing pad to correct your cars, it depends on the condition of the paint. But you probably need to do two steps (Total Swirl Remover + Orange pad, then Finishing Glaze + White Pad).

After you are done with polishing, then apply two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I wouldn't add the Collinite wax because the Wolfgang Sealant really looks great, and the Collinite 845 looks best on lighter colored vehicles.

I like to clay approximately every 10,000 miles of driving, which is like every 8 months for me. I wash my car once a week religiously and my wash process is very thorough so even when I do clay, there is very little contamination embedded in my paint. You may have to clay more or less often depending on how much you drive, how often you wash your car, and the environmental conditions your car experiences. Basically every 6 to 18 months is a good idea for claying the vehicle, but realistically more like 6-12 months.

Polishing is based on how quickly scratches and swirls come back and how much you are willing to tolerate them...again, a variety of factors determine this, such as paint hardness (softness), your wash process, how often people lean up against your dirty car, etc.. Personally, I don't mind some light scratching on my car here and there, and my car is a daily driver. If you have a "garage queen" you may want to keep it show-car perfect all the time...it's entirely up to you. Some color paints also hide scratches better than others. For example, black shows EVERYTHING and will drive you mad trying to keep it pristine. Personally, I like to polish my car every 2 years, with just some spot-correcting in between that time, in areas that have been scratched up badly due to normal wear-and-tear.
So I can get rid of the Collinite? That would save us a few $ since this first order is already over $700.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
So I can get rid of the Collinite? That would save us a few $ since this first order is already over $700.
You don't need it. WGDGPS is good enough on it's own.

DonMTV
08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I would keep the Collinite 845 so you can add it to your Sealant right before winter starts. I believe it is less then $15 for the bottle. I could be wrong, but I purchased it to "winterize" my car. I will be doing it before the bad weather.

Don

Emile
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM

You can, and then maybe order some later on before the winter starts. It's incredibly durable, whereas I feel like Wolfgang DGPS is more of a spring/summer/fall sealant because the durability doesn't impress me on its own, particularly during the hard winter months.

MI Mike
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I would keep the Collinite 845 so you can add it to your Sealant right before winter starts. I believe it is less then $15 for the bottle. I could be wrong, but I purchased it to "winterize" my car. I will be doing it before the bad weather.

Don

If it snows, you need the Collinite. I prefer the 476 over the sealant for maximum w
inter coverage till Spring.

Buckskincolt
08-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Just my .02, I'd skip the Collinnite for now because I'm sure (don't ask me how I know:help:) you will be placing another order soon and you can use it to fill in to get to a minimum order for a discount. You do use the glaze before LSP (Last Step product). I'd also skip the wash after the clay unless it's a total mess. You will be wiping the leftover clay lube off before it drys and you move to another section. Not sure what pads you went with but do a test spot first to get the right pad polish combo.

Don't feel like you have to get everything in your first order because You will find more things you want and "need":props:. So start out with the basics and build from there.