PDA

View Full Version : Question about claying

Pages : [1] 2

adudley88
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I've seen a lot of you guys say that you will not clay a car without following up with polish, because the clay can cause marring. A lot of the cars that I've been cleaning up are seriously neglected, older daily drivers that have probably never seen a car wash. After washing the paint still feels so full of contaminants, so I go ahead and clay, then seal or wax. How do you determine if it's worth claying without polishing?

Also, what about with newer/nicer cars. A lot of the time I can still feel a lot of contaminants left in the paint. I'm afraid to clay and leave marring, but I can't stand that I can still feel a less than smooth surface; however people don't want to pay for polishing. Do you still clay so that the car 'feels' better/smoother, or do you always just wash and wax if they're not willing to polish?

Feed back please
Thanks! -Ash

BobbyG
08-10-2010, 09:39 AM
You'd be surprised how many out there have no idea how important it is to clay a cars finish at least twice annually.

What I'm about to say is the absolute truth. My neighbor never washes his car and told me that washing causes the painted surface to eventually wear through... http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/ohnoes.gif http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/ohnoes.gif http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/ohnoes.gif

Go figure!! http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif

Now, that said, I personally have never seen clay cause marring. This could be due to I've always used clay without abrasives in it. The clay I use it strictly used for removing embedded contaminates and nothing more. Once the surface is clean I inspect it and decide from there.

There's no hard fast rule that says if you clay you "must" polish. Depending on the desired outcome and the finish condition should dictate the next step. If the finish is acceptable after claying then seal or wax. If you think it needs some polishing then have at it. Always remember to test from the least aggressive to the most aggressive.

Example:

If you try Meguiar's M205 and the surface looks like it requires something more aggressive then try Meguiar's M105. Once complete go over the panel with M205 and finish accordingly.

FinalTouchAuto
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I too have never experienced a marring problem with clay.

If you are worried about it you could always follow-up the claying on these cars with some type of cleaner-wax instead of a regular sealant or carnauba.

sgtmillhouse648
08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Really if you do a good job washing, and use plenty of lube while claying, and make sure to fold/knead the clay often you shouldn't have a problem with marring at all. If you do, it is most likely small spot repairs which can be knocked down quickly. Remember though to rewash after claying to remove the clay residue though.

adudley88
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Okay, Thanks.
What's everybody's favorite clay? I've tried the clay by the chemical guys, which I like so far, I've tried one of Megs (I think it was a light duty, and I hated it) and I just got the XMT speed clay, which I haven't used yet. I'm in dire need of some more, but I'm not sure which ones to try. Anybody have suggestions?

BLKONBLKONBLK
08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I was impressed with the Griots clay - very easy to work with and did a good job

sgtmillhouse648
08-11-2010, 01:15 PM
My favorite so far has been the blue mild clay from meguiars. Not super sticky, easy to work with, and lasts forever.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I've seen a lot of you guys say that you will not clay a car without following up with polish

Not true at all, IMO.

Pristine Image
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Out of curiousity, how many of y'all rewash the vehicle after claying? I can honestly say I don't.

sohail99
08-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Should claying be followed with a IPA wipdown?(instead of a wash)

sgtmillhouse648
08-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I clay and wipe the residue off, then go back over with an ONR QD wipedown to make sure I have all of the residue off and have a good surface to apply whatever my first stage of protection is (KAIO generally)

WRAPT C5Z06
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I clay and wipe the residue off, then go back over with an ONR QD wipedown to make sure I have all of the residue off
Good idea.

canairb
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I clay and wipe the residue off, then go back over with an ONR QD wipedown to make sure I have all of the residue off

:iagree: I'll second that. Whatever I am using for a clay lube, whether it be ONR QD or another Quick Detailer, I will spray a little extra afterwards and give it a clean up to remove residue.

kb2ehj
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I think you will probably get the marring with the more aggressive clay (megs red and clay magic red) and not the OTC stuff.

kb2ehj
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Last time I clayed a car, I simply hosed off the vehicle and dried it, no problems at all.