PDA

View Full Version : Can't upload pictures to member gallery

Pages : [1] 2

spellrm
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Alright so pretty technically inclined, and even I can't figure this out. I'm 90% sure it's not a problem on my part, but when I go to upload pictures, I choose the ones I want (with no spaces in the filenames) and click submit. It shows me the "Uploading xx%" and after it gets to 100%, I get this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10368 bytes) in /home/autogeek/public_html/gallery/image-inc.php on line 116

I want to make a new thread showing some of my work without using sites like photobucket so that my pictures are there permanently.

Is it a problem with the website, or me?

Also, if this is in the wrong section could someone move it to the right one? I wasn't sure where to post this.

Mike Phillips
08-10-2010, 08:19 AM
I wrote an article on uploading pictures to galleries that is pretty detailed in that it addresses all aspects of the topic...

One of the most common problems besides cropping out the fluff and resizing to a reasonable size is people try to upload photos with inappropriate file names and my guess is they do this because they don't know better and because modern computer operating systems now have the ability to associate picture files with file names that would not work just a few years ago...

Here's a link to the article,

How to upload a photo into your Autogeek Photo Gallery (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-do-different-types-things-ag-discussion-forum/21295-how-upload-photo-into-your-autogeek-photo-gallery.html)

I don't know if this would be the problem you're having but here's one of the more common problems and that's a file name that is not supported by the "Internet".

Examples

This will work

mypicture.jpg
This will not work,

my picture.jpg

Notice the space between the word my and the word picture?

A usable file name cannot have any spaces in it. Don't know if this is the problem you're having but I've been helping people to get the pictures off their memory cards and onto forums for a long time and this is a pretty common problem.

Part of the reason a space won't work is because all pictures must have an URL ADDRESS and a space doesn't work for normal Internet addressing protocols.

Here's the URL Address for a car I buffed out a few years ago...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/BatmobileFinished11.jpg

If there were a space in the file name for the actual picture, like you see below the picture wouldn't show up and a browser could not display it. Note the space between the e and the F that are bold.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Batmobile Finished11.jpg

IF you can, e-mail me just one picture and I can figure out why it won't upload.

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

:)

Mike Phillips
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Here's a link to even more articles on working with photos on the Internet...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

Autogeek uses PhotoPost which is the most common photo gallery used by discussion forums. So once you teach yourself how to work with photos on the Autogeek Photo Gallery you can pretty much use these skill on any photo gallery as they all work pretty much the same.

One thing for sure I've learned in my life on the Internet, the ability to work with photos is a necessary skill. Attaching files as thumbnails and making your reader click on the thumbnail to see the picture is such a hassle when it's so easy to learn how to upload to a gallery and then "insert" the picture into your thread so everyone can see it without having to do something extra.

Also, cropping out the fluff and resizing your photos to 800 pixels is just plain good Netiquette and good stewardship of resources.

spellrm
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for replying Mike. I've read through all of those articles, and I mentioned in my first post that none of my pictures have spaces in the filenames. I click "Upload Photos", have my category set to "Member Galleries", I choose one photo that I want to upload, and I click "Submit". I get that error every single time.

From what I've Googled, it seems to be a problem with PhotoPost not having enough memory allocated.

Mike, I've emailed you one of the photos I want to upload.

Thanks for your help.

pokerbob781
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I have the same exact problem. I was trying to show my work but I couldn't. I only got to upload 6 images and when I tried to upload more on another day, I got the same message. Let me know if you ever get this resolved.

spellrm
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I have the same exact problem. I was trying to show my work but I couldn't. I only got to upload 6 images and when I tried to upload more on another day, I got the same message. Let me know if you ever get this resolved.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I emailed Mike and hopefully he can get this sorted out for us.

sgtmillhouse648
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Looking at your error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10368 bytes) in /home/autogeek/public_html/gallery/image-inc.php on line 116

It is trying to allocate the space for the photo (10386 bytes), but doesn't have enough room left to store it on. Autogeek image server out of space?

Mike Phillips
08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry for the delay, we have some special guests here to Autogeek's Show Car Garage...

I just read your e-mail and looked at the file name for your picture and the problem is the "dash" instead of an "underscore"

detail-8_8_10-25.jpg

I changed the dash to and underscore and it uploaded with no problems.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/detail_8_8_10_25.jpg

So just make sure the file name for your photos doesn't include any dashes or spaces and instead use underscores.

spellrm
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Ah well that would explain it. Thanks for your help Mike. I assumed anything but a *space* would work, but now that I know *dashes* won't work either I'll rename the rest of them. Look out for my thread showing off my new tools and work! :buffing:

Thanks again Mike

EDIT: So it still doesn't work: I renamed all the files to detail_8_8_10_# where # is 1-25. I tried to upload the exact picture Mike uploaded above, named detail_8_8_10_25, and it gives me the same error. So then I decided to just name it "330Ci.jpg" and I still got the error.

Any help?

Mike Phillips
08-10-2010, 04:09 PM
EDIT: So it still doesn't work:

Strange...

What browser/Operating System are you using? Shouldn't matter but when troubleshooting it's a good idea to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

E-mail me the last picture you tried to upload and let me see what happens when I try.

spellrm
08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm using Google Chrome, but I've tried using Firefox and yielded the same result.

I've sent you an email.

Mike Phillips
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Received your e-mail, saved the image to my hard drive, uploaded it to your gallery with no problems and without making any changes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/330ci.jpg

I'm using Internet Explorer and that's my normal forum browser.

Since the file uploaded perfectly for me, troubleshooting would seem to say that the problem is somehow isolated on your end?

Try to troubleshoot by removing variables, like try IE, try another computer? Try another computer... maybe it's somehow related to some kind of security software on your computer?

It's pretty rare that something like this happens...

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

spellrm
08-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I wonder why it works for you and not me? I just tried Internet Explorer and got the same error. I'm on a PC, the other computer I have is a Mac. I'll try it on that in little bit and get back to you.

Admin
08-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Give it another try and see if it works. I change some of the settings on the uploads.

spellrm
08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Give it another try and see if it works. I change some of the settings on the uploads.

It works great now! Thank you!