PDA

View Full Version : The Right Tire Dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

dr j
08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I recently tried Opti-bond after reading several recommendations. I have not been impressed after using twice. I believe my problem with opti-bond boils down to i need more 'shine' on my tires for my liking. The opti-bond streaked as I applied more product. This is probably due to using the product in a manner it was not intended for. I also noticed it took a lot of product to cover a 265 size tire. I am sure the product would be fine for a low profile tire.
I have used Megs high endurance gel before and liked the look of it but the sling-off was aggravating.
Can anyone recommend a tire gel that is medium-high gloss that will not sling-if it exists?
Thanks

Old Tiger
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Try the new DP or for even more bling try Four Star Tire Spray or gel.

snowking724
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM
i used to use End. but after using DP i won't go back. Still have a full bottle just sitting there. Application is easier, very small amount of product on my f150's tires and it looks great.

trhland
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
have 285/65 /r18 all terrain tires and i use optimum origanal tire shine. 2 coats. works great nice shine not that GETTO sine but a nice shine .. ive been useing this for 2 yearsnow and love it . ihope they dont discontinue it .its great. but use it in a spray bottle .. works best. also i have the d/p tire dressing the new one and thats nice too.

PAR Detailing
08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Wolfgang tire dressing is my dressing of choice. I love it, it is shiny but not ghetto. I have the new DP and it is more of a matte finish in my opinion. Im glad I have both because some cars look better with different shines and customers have different preferances. but look into wolfgang

2SLICK4U
08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I just got Poorboys and i love it 1 week on tires , i did about 500 miles and looks gr8.Dressing is perfect not too much shine just the way i like

AeroCleanse
08-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I use 1z Vinyl-Rubber, but if you want more shine, try Meg's ASD

dr j
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Appears everyone has their favorite!!

SATracker
08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I like Wolfgang & Optimum. Wolfgang has a nice shine to it without being over-the-top; and Optimum does work for me because I prefer a flatter look. Considering the size bottle of Optimum I had to buy, it'll be my, "favorite" for a while. While it is only my opinion, some cars look nice with a shine, others look nice with a flatter finish.

BobbyG
08-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I've been using Meguiar's Hot Wheel spray for years. Since it's a spray, it goes on real easy which is part of why I like it. Initially the tires look wet but after 30 minutes or so they lose that glossy appearance and take on more of a satin look which is pretty nice.

Since I like to try new products, I've started using Optimum's Opti-Bond Tire Gel. Initially I wasn't too impressed but with every new product there's a learning curve and some time to get used to it. After applying it I didn't like way the tires looked overall. They still had a dull and lifeless appearance and after 30 minutes I applied a second coat and they looked surprisingly better. The tires are less that 8 months old and not porous at all so maybe that's how this product's supposed to work.

Now for longevity, we'll have to wait and see.

SeaJay's
08-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I recently purchased TNT Tire and Trim gel dressing from Detail King and honestly the stuff is awesome! It leaves a nice shine and it's perfect for trim and tires. Goes on easily and doesn't sling.

StoneRaizer
08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Opti-Bond is amazing stuff. I love the low gloss, natural look. You said you had to use a lot and I'm a little surprised at that. On the bottle it says the product can be diluted 1:1 and used in a spray bottle which is what I use on larger profile tires and then use a foam tire swipe to spread the product around.

SeaJay's
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I recently purchased TNT Tire and Trim gel dressing from Detail King and honestly the stuff is awesome! It leaves a nice shine and it's perfect for trim and tires. Goes on easily and doesn't sling.

Alright I'm going to have to say that this stuff is good for tires but not for trim! I detailed my Avalanche on Friday night and used this stuff for the bed covers and side compartments in the bed. I don't have the body cladding so I don't have to worry about that.

Anyway last night it rained and while I was on my lunch today I was checking it out and I now have an oily residue below all the plastic that I dressed with this stuff. So the rain ran off the plastic and carried with it the oils from this stuff!

I'm going to have to give something else a try for trim.

blob
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I have been very impressed with Malco AquaBead. Looks great, not super high gloss, but not quite a matte finish. Works great on wet tires, doesn't sling, streak, or cause the tires to turn brown.

BobbyG
08-11-2010, 06:36 AM
On the bottle it says the product can be diluted 1:1 and used in a spray bottle which is what I use on larger profile tires and then use a foam tire swipe to spread the product around.

I read this but actually forgot about it until now. I'll try this over the weekend and see how it makes out..:props: