PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to remove tree sap

Pages : [1] 2

Bullitt AK
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
it seems like when using clay it just rubs the sap around a bit and doesnt get it off...maybe if i used a mid or aggressive instead of light clay it would have been different but the car doesnt need to be polished as it sits and i dont want any marring from an aggressive bar...any other suggestions/products? also what can i do for other cars paint scuffs on mine?

cnfowler
08-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I've used Super Degreaser (formerly Castrol Super Degreaser) in the purple bottle from Wal-Mart. When used full strength, the sap comes right off. This has also worked just as easily on baked on sap.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Castrol_Super_Degreaser.jpg

Meguiar's D-Line glass cleaner used full strength works great, too. I've never used a clay bar to remove sap.

Colin

Bullitt AK
08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
that stuff is safe for paint? just making sure because im going to try it on some tar and other gunk too

ive heard of using wd-40, acetone, and even invisible glass but i am hesitant to use these on paint..

A4 1.8tqm
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Place a hot, wet towel on it for a couple minutes then carefully wipe off as much as you can. Then use your choice of paint safe cleaner and/or clay for the remaining residue.

If the "paint scuffs" are just paint transfer from another car, with no damage to your car/paint, you can polish it off with a med-light polish or swirl remover. You may have to follow up with a finishing polish to get marring free results.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Optimum Power Clean - Excellent product for removing grease, bugs, dirt, tar, and it's paint safe even if used un-diluted. :dblthumb2: I love this stuff. Or, you can give Stoners Tarminator a try.

kronos
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
This is what I use: Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html) It's paint safe and I just used it a few weeks ago on a customer's (aunt's) car. She'd park it under a tree and after a few months it accumaletd alot of sap, most of it was baked on. I tried using an agressive clay, but it was taking a long time so I pulled out the tarminator and did a number on the entire car. I let it dwell for a few minutes and washed the car like I normally do and bingo! The majority of the sap was gone. It's good stuff, I recommend. :xyxthumbs:

proudpoppa
08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
alcohol will work. we use methanol at work but regula ipa will work also, the stronger the better.

southbeach
08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
The best product to use is citus cleaner or your buff off chemical...spray it on and leave it on for a good 1-2 min to break down..... wipe it with a towel and bam...you are done....do this before washing the vehicle..

Phinox
08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I have used ONR as a QD on dried tree sap spray it on wait a few minutes and wipe it off. If it is a stubborn stop you may have to reapply.

DonMTV
08-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Rubbing alcohol works great!! I should know, as I have been battling the pine trees in our yard this year. Seems to be a bad season here in MA. Use a soft microfiber and make sure to have the car rinsed off. I made the mistake of not doing that. You can then wash the car and you should be good to go. Clay doesn't really work at all. I tried it.

Don

BobbyG
08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Most have suggested it already but heating the area up with a hairdryer of how towel softens the sap so it can be carefully removed. Any residual or remaining sap can be dissolved using IPA or regular paint thinner.

Bullitt AK
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Most have suggested it already but heating the area up with a hairdryer of how towel softens the sap so it can be carefully removed. Any residual or remaining sap can be dissolved using IPA or regular paint thinner.

what % should i use that is safe?

RaskyR1
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Been using IPA to remove sap for a very long time now. Tarminator also works well.

Never understood why people would trash a clay bar to remove sap or tar....clay is expensive!

SeaJay's
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Rubbing alcohol works great!! I should know, as I have been battling the pine trees in our yard this year. Seems to be a bad season here in MA. Use a soft microfiber and make sure to have the car rinsed off. I made the mistake of not doing that. You can then wash the car and you should be good to go. Clay doesn't really work at all. I tried it.

Don

I 2nd the rubbing alcohol! My house is surrounded by pines and I deal with sap every time I wash my truck. And the majority of my clients have sap as well.

BobbyG
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
what % should i use that is safe?

For this exercise use it straight out of the bottle. We use alcohol as a mild cleaner to remove wax and contaminates and generally reduce it 1:1so slow its evaporation rate. Since you're using it to clean as I said, use it straight, it will not harm the paint.