PDA

View Full Version : ONR or QD

Pages : [1] 2

pfix
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I would like opinions on whether it would be best to use Megs UQD or do an ONR wash on my new black Volvo. I like to wipe the car down every evening to get the dust and any other minor contaminants off of the paint and I am concerned with inducing scratches using the QD spray. Also when using QD, is it better to lightly mist the paint or spay it on until nice and wet?

Do you prefer a plush deeper nap MF for removing detailer spray products?

Thanks,

Paul

Bunky
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
For a daily routine, something like ONR would be the most cost effective. I tend to like products like PB Spray and Wipe or DP Waterless since they just clean with no added shine. I use a plusher style mf. If you are doing an entire car, I would use two - one to spread, one to remove.

ScottB
08-08-2010, 11:03 AM
ONR and good thick, soft towel indeed.

pfix
08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Sounds good, I am glad I asked. So are the QD products only to be used after a wash ?

Thanks

Paul

ScottB
08-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Sounds good, I am glad I asked. So are the QD products only to be used after a wash ?

Thanks

Paul

I consider QD products to be used best for spot detailing. If a birdie doo-doo's and you need something immediately to remove it, thats what I grab. You can mix up some ONR and make your own Qd'er too. Its got more lubrication which likely means less scratching. I believe it also contains emulsifiers to actually break down dirt.

One other issue with qders, is that alot are really more of detail sprays now. If they offer wax, protective or glossing agents then I typically keep those as toppers on a clean just washed ride to add a little pizazz between wax sessions.

GOATMAN06
08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
i usually mix 3oz ONR and the rest water in a 16oz spray bottle and use it as a waterless wash.. ONR has so many purposes...:xyxthumbs:

pfix
08-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I love this forum.

Paul

Shane731
08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Check out these threads:

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html)

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash, a Rinseless Car Wash and a Spray Detailer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html)

Shane731
08-08-2010, 01:09 PM
And this one: Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

Rsurfer
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Just mix 8oz of ONR to a gallon of water, use distilled water if you have hard water in your area. Pour into a pump spray bottle and lightly mist the whole car. You will use about 10-12 oz. for the entire car. Either wipe down with a waffle weave or mf towel. Streak free no water spots. Being that your car is black, before spraying I would inspect your paint to be sure no debris is sticking to your paint. If you have some bird poop or tree sap, pre-soak these areas first before wiping. Onr can save you a lot of time and is very cost effective.

MI Mike
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I have found that the 2-oz. ONR to a gallon of distilled water works great. I normally use the mix for claying, but found that the same mix works to remove light dusting. I still have some of green shamrock towels that I use to wipe off. Followed by a misted mf towel to remove any lint/shedding. Spray on, and wipe off by dragging the folded towel lightly across surface. Once you have done this, you will adapt the process to your own personal technique.

:dblthumb2:

trhland
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I consider QD products to be used best for spot detailing. If a birdie doo-doo's and you need something immediately to remove it, thats what I grab. You can mix up some ONR and make your own Qd'er too. Its got more lubrication which likely means less scratching. I believe it also contains emulsifiers to actually break down dirt.

One other issue with qders, is that alot are really more of detail sprays now. If they offer wax, protective or glossing agents then I typically keep those as toppers on a clean just washed ride to add a little pizazz between wax sessions.
i actually been useing onr in a spray bottle for bird doo cleanuos that have dryed. it brakes it up easyer then a q/d. i dont know what it is but the birds near me poop out concrete. its terrible.. but a waterless wash works nicer.

pfix
08-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I had been misting the car with QD and then wiping off the dust. I was trusting the info on the back of the Megs UQD bottle that is was intended for wiping off dust and minor contamination and can be used on a daily basis. I just felt funny when I was doing this and I am glad I asked the advice of the forum before I scratched the heck out my clear. This forum has changed the way I am cleaning my cars in a major way. It is great to have such a resource of knowledge and top quality products here at AG. The only down side has been to my bank account. This stuff is addicting!

Paul

Old Tiger
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
ONR and good thick, soft towel indeed.
Scott is spot on as usual! FWIW if you close up your bucket after each use you should get a week or so from 2 gallons and an oz or 2 of ONR, provided the car doesnt get too dirty! IMO the Cobra 600 Jrs. are very good for this application.

Old Tiger
08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I have found that the 2-oz. ONR to a gallon of distilled water works great. I normally use the mix for claying, but found that the same mix works to remove light dusting. I still have some of green shamrock towels that I use to wipe off. Followed by a misted mf towel to remove any lint/shedding. Spray on, and wipe off by dragging the folded towel lightly across surface. Once you have done this, you will adapt the process to your own personal technique.

:dblthumb2:
The Shamrocks are also superb for use with a 2 gallon bucket of ONR as the wash media. Mine dont lint so I use them for QD, spray wax or waterless washes.