PDA

View Full Version : Best wax to use in HOT Florida sun?

Pages : [1] 2 3

AutoClean
08-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I have been using Megs XLT, which is good, but streaky. I know carnauba wax's will melt. I would like to use a wax with the equivalent results to the carnauba wax but without the melting. Anybody know any wax's that would be good to use here in the Hot Florida sun?

CEE DOG
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Carnaubas still last a little while but to answer your question a paint sealants melting point is quite a bit higher. Usually around 350 degrees if I understand correctly.

I read that the hybrids melting points are around 200 degrees. I also read that carnauba wax melting points are around 180 and depending on the added solvents or other types of waxes like beeswax it could be as low as 130. From what I understand it is at these temperatures that the product in question becomes temporarily soft enough to be easily washed off.

So any way I think most waxes are going to last a little while as long as you don't let them sit in the sun and then start washing them while the paint is super hot.

DARK HORSE
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I have been using Megs XLT, which is good, but streaky. I know carnauba wax's will melt. I would like to use a wax with the equivalent results to the carnauba wax but without the melting. Anybody know any wax's that would be good to use here in the Hot Florida sun?

Any reason you are looking specifically for a wax. Have you considered a sealant? Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant looks great and has much better durability than a nuba. Also you may want to look at Collinite 845 insulator wax, great durability and withstands high temps as well...

By the way :welcome: to AGO!

WRAPT C5Z06
08-06-2010, 03:21 AM
I'd go with a sealant. WGDGPS, Duragloss 105, Menzerna Powerlock, Four Star UPP to name a few.

AutoClean
08-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the in put, I am still new to this world and I have plenty to learn. I use a sealant + wax, so I could just use the sealant, alone? Would the sealant offer the same amount of protection to a clear coat?

Showroom Shine
08-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Liquid Souveran would be good in the sun. It's my go to wax!

trhland
08-06-2010, 07:09 AM
souveran and pinnacle sig series 2 are great waxes. but need to be reappled avery few weeks. but there so darn easy to apply you wont mind...

Impressions
08-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm in S Fl I use WGPS

ScottB
08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Pinnacles waxes were designed in South Florida and work well in the sun. Waxes do not melt off car but essentially break down with higher heat indexes. There are ingredients used to try and help with heat, but likely a wax will need to be used more frequently if your choice.

As others offered alot of paint sealants (synthetic waxes) will offer longer protection , not necessarily better, and will work with your environment longer. You can indeed use them alone or continue to top as desired. If you are topping for looks then might consider using a carnauba based spray over your sealant after washing.

trhland
08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
ive heard great things about menzerna powerlock..i might use this as my winter lsp...as for summer i use carnuaba waxes

Meghan
08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Liquid Souveran would be good in the sun. It's my go to wax!

souveran and pinnacle sig series 2 are great waxes. but need to be reappled avery few weeks. but there so darn easy to apply you wont mind...

I'm in S Fl I use WGPS

All good Fla choices!

Waxmax
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
My cars are seeing 102-105F temps in the Dallas area. I use sealants....UPGP, 4Star UPP and Menzerna PL....all good choices IMO.

AutoClean
08-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks again, for all of the input. Like I said, I am very new at all of this. I have a Google education on detailing cars. Everyone knows Google's information can be a little scattered at times. I've also noticed with Google, it will answer every question except for the one your asking, anyone else have this problem?. I am a stay at home mother, I have been detailing cars for a hobby, now for almost two years. So since I am not working on my own car, sealing it every two weeks will not work. Sometimes, I only work on the same cars every 6 months. So is there anything, and or series of things, that will work amazingly and also last? I once heard of using a silicone wax here in the heat. Does anybody know what this is?

1flyfisher
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Here is the best product for hot sun. I was also looking for a good easy on/off product that lasts long and does well in the sun for the roof of my 2010 GMC Savana van.
I bought Finish Kare 1000P. Goes on and off great lasts a long time and is a product designed specifically for hot temps.

It is great all around wax and is great for hot roofs and lasts forever. 4-6+ months.
I also use KAIO and KSG for the sides of my van but put the FK1000P on the roof and hood. I use a wheelchair so I can do the hood/sides and I get someone else to do the van roof. I wanted them to have the easiest to use product that lasts the longest and I found the FK.

Give it a try.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
08-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Here is the best product for hot sun. I was also looking for a good easy on/off product that lasts long and does well in the sun for the roof of my 2010 GMC Savana van.
I bought Finish Kare 1000P. Goes on and off great lasts a long time and is a product designed specifically for hot temps.

It is great all around wax and is great for hot roofs and lasts forever. 4-6+ months.
I also use KAIO and KSG for the sides of my van but put the FK1000P on the roof and hood. I use a wheelchair so I can do the hood/sides and I get someone else to do the van roof. I wanted them to have the easiest to use product that lasts the longest and I found the FK.

Give it a try.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)
I have FK1000P, and while it really brings clarity and makes metallic pop, I think it's a paint to apply and remove. I really don't like using it for that reason.