PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone? ...another personal DO trait I discovered

Pages : [1] 2

Laura
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I just returned from a trip where I drove many miles - almost 1600. - all in about a three day period. I had never thought about my "process" for getting gas, but doing it a few times so close together made me realize something I do that I would dare wager some of my other DO friends do as well. Even though I pay at the pump with a credit card that I use for every other life necessity (grocery store, Autogeek) with wide ranging - often uncontrolled - amounts, when getting gas i have to get an even dollar amount. If the pump rolls over to $30.01, then I'm going to do everything I can to squeeze another $.99 in there. Is that uncommon? I found myself getting all worked up because I'm risking the dreaded spill-over against an uneven dollar amount. Crazy, isn't it!! Finally, I've settled on $.25 increments. I can live with that. Anybody else do this? Why do we create so much stress for ourselves?:confused:

ColorsDetailing
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
It bugs my wife so much that I do not stop on an even dollar amount that I have the opposite habit. I refuse to stop on an even dollar amout, just to bug the crap out of her.
:props:

S2K
08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I used to do that when i paid with cash but since gas prices got so high I don't even want to know how much it was. I use a card and just fill it up, get in the car and leave without looking.

Mike Burke
08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I heard that you could damage the charcoal filter that is in the gas hose( on you car) if you keep filling it up past the first turn of point on the pump. I don't know if that right or not but I have been sure to just stop when the pump first shuts of and leave it at that.
Any truth to the "Charcoal Filter " thing ?
Mike

CEE DOG
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
OP, I used to do that and about 2 years ago I stopped. There is no reason to do it. Logic prevailed

DARK HORSE
08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I do it too :help:

Building on that; when I'm filling up my pony I have a complete procedure that involves opening the gas cap door with a MF, unscrewing the cap, laying it over the MF covered cap door in a very precise fashion. When filling is complete the procedure is reversed. When I remove the nozzle I have an old MF that I put under the nozzle to prevent any drips from getting on the paint.

rwright
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I do it too :help:

Building on that; when I'm filling up my pony I have a complete procedure that involves opening the gas cap door with a MF, unscrewing the cap, laying it over the MF covered cap door in a very precise fashion. When filling is complete the procedure is reversed...

This I can believe! :laughing:

I still find it funny that when I tried to close your door it was too slippery and had to close it by using the window trim!

DARK HORSE
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
This I can believe! :laughing:

I still find it funny that when I tried to close your door it was too slippery and had to close it by using the window trim!

:D

Misterpaul
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I fill it to the nearest dollar, or I go to the nearest quarter dollar or to the nearest tenth dollar. My wife on the other hand stops when the gas pump shutoff stops the flow. Looking at our credit card statement you can usually tell who did the fill up by the total sale. She went to college to be an accountant and I'm the one with the OCD money issues! :laughing:

Vjeszczi
08-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I usually stop at 10 to make sure the gas station isn't trying to rip me off, other than that, I do what S2K does, just fill up and go, try not to think about the price too much.

A4 1.8tqm
08-06-2010, 12:20 AM
I used to do that when i paid with cash but since gas prices got so high I don't even want to know how much it was. I use a card and just fill it up, get in the car and leave without looking.

I'm right there with ya! :xyxthumbs:

97zman
08-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Quarter doller for me most of the time.

Meghan
08-06-2010, 06:55 AM
It sure makes it much easier and cleaner looking in the check register to keep even numbers, but since I can't make that happen everywhere else I spend money I give up and pump the gas till the car is full!

vet
08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
The owner manual for my truck says not to fill it past 3 click offs at the nozzle. I usually let it click off the first time, then after the second, round it off to the next 5 cents. The way I understand it, overfilling just puts gas in the overflow and more or less evaporates if you don't keep driving to use it up. I also "heard" that ethanol evaporates more quickly than gas without alcohol in it, that's why you have a reduction in mileage if you use it. I do believe that you should fill up when the tank gets down to around a quarter, instead of waiting until you're sucking fumes. When the fuel pump is in the tank, the gas lubricates and cools it, so it doesn't wear out as quickly.

daveinsweethome
08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
30 years or so ago the gas stations in las vegas would give your tank free if it clicked off on a repetitive number ie 33.33. boy would that cost em now. i try to get car sellers to change the financing in order to get an even dollar. yep we are all creatures of habit