PDA

View Full Version : Removing Clay Marring

KneeDragr
08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Would P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser remove the marring caused by the clay bar?

Or would using the P21s cleanser mean you would not need to clay?

Here is what is says about it

"Removes Embedded Debris. Road film, rainwater deposits, and embedded pollution will make your finish bumpy, when it should be sleek and smooth. Determining the presence of these elements is quite easy. Wash and dry your vehicle, then gently run your fingertips over the paintwork. If the surface isn’t smooth, it is necessary to cleanse and remove the toxins. This cleanser will lift and remove embedded debris, cleaning deeply within each microscopic crevice. Water spots, swirl marks and other contaminants disappear. The vehicle is ready to display the perfect concours-look wax finish."

Sounds like it duplicates claying.

ScottB
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
P21S GEPC is a paint cleansing lotion similar to Pinnacles. It is chemical based and only has the lightest of filling qualities IMO. It doesnt have any abrasives to remove micromarring caused by clay, you likely would want to try a finishing polish.

I use paint cleansing lotions when paint is in tip top shape. I use it mostly to strip old waxes and sealants and prep surface for new product.

FinalTouchAuto
08-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't know how bad your marring is, but believe it or not, for light marring the TW ICE Liquid Claybar actually does a great job of claening it up very quickly by hand (and I don't typically like the ICE product line, ha ha)

KneeDragr
08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Well here is the back story.

I have 2 cars, my DD ( CR-V ) and my 2010 Corvette, both garage kept.

The corvette never felt like it had any surface contaminants, I ordered it so it never sat on a lot - so for my 1st detail I did a dawn wash followed by NXT 2.0 and have been using Ultimate Quik wax following washes.

My DD needs a clay and minor paint correction. For it I intend to clay it this fall, then hand polish with SwirlX at an attempt to correct the paint.

Im trying to use the least abrasive products because I usually keep my cars 10 years ( The Vette I intend to keep 20 ) and dont want to run out of clear coat!

But Im thinking for the next Vette detail I will just use the P21s paint cleaner and leave the Dawn in the kitchen. Since I feel nothing on the surface of the paint, Id rather not clay it and then have to polish it because I dont think it really needs a polish.

Sound appropriate?

ScottB
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
With the Vette I too commonly use just a paint cleanser and then the wax of choice. (I never use Dawn). I did however polish car initially and polish annually as needed but with lighter pads and polishes. Lots of hard clearcoat means many years of joy. I drove my previous Vette (2002) as a daily driver for three years and only garage kept at night, polished much more often and never breached clearcoat, never.

As with my daily driver, and wifes, it does need more care and becomes a test bed to our many products. I wash, clay, polish and protect and protect and protect. Hand polishing offers very little reward IMO and takes alot of time and patience. A good buffer and polishes (several two steps rock) should offer piece of mind and many years of bliss even with daily driver. The idea is to start with lightest combo and move more aggressive only as needed.

KneeDragr
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I hear you on the hand polishing, and Id be all over a PC.

The big issue is time, neither my wife nor I have a lot of free time and my wife is already a bit concerned with my switching my DD from automatic washes to hand washing.

If I come home with a PC and a bunch of pads she is going to draw the line on how much time I spend detailing our cars. Its too bad because her Prius has never been waxed in 8 years, spent 2 years sitting outdoors before we met and Im pretty sure with the right equipment I could get that thing looking brand new.

FinalTouchAuto
08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Detailing really doesn't take THAT long, and after your car is properly detailed it makes maintaining it much faster than it would be if it wasn't detailed.

ScottB
08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
If I come home with a PC and a bunch of pads she is going to draw the line on how much time I spend detailing our cars. Its too bad because her Prius has never been waxed in 8 years, spent 2 years sitting outdoors before we met and Im pretty sure with the right equipment I could get that thing looking brand new.

Start with the paint cleansing lotion, you'll see a difference indeed. When possible consider a PC and a one step like Menzerna 203 Powerfinish. You'll see a load of difference with only a couple hours and so will she. As for waxing, why not stick with a spray wax or sealant and apply each time you wash car. In some cases, you can do it while hand drying to save a step and it will seem to her like your just doing a quick wash.

Heres some suggestions to make a world of difference in only a couple minutes :

1. Use leaf blower instead of traditional drying, it will also remove water from cracks that run later.

2. Dress wheelwells with a low cost aerosol tire gloss spray. When its on sale at Target/Walmart/etc. grab a couple cans.

3. Dress tires, even with a low gloss dressing as applicable. Commonly tires seem to brown over time and any dressing (matte or gloss) will stand out more.

4. Use a paint sealant to protect paint as often offer longer durability. Then use detail or spray wax while drying to add back the pop and just waxed look. Often sprays like FinishKare 425 will also remove light spotting left from using leaf blower above, so its a win-win.

When in doubt find a hobby your spouse loves, and offer her some rewards when she allows you your hobby. Shoes, purses, and more often are much more expensive than car care even a good buffer. Get her out there with you (and kids too if you have any) its good exercise and family time where you all work together on a project. Best of all enjoy it, if its not fun and easy it aint gonna work !