PDA

View Full Version : Does megs #7 contain fillers?

Pages : [1] 2

Christopher
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
As the title suggests. Does Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html) contain any fillers? If it does not... What is a good, inexpensive glaze that does?

ScottB
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
this show car wax (meant to type glaze not wax) will indeed show some filling and additional wetness. Top with your favorite carnauba wax, but remember filling is temporary.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes it does fill, that is the purpose of all glazes to fill.

Grizzly
08-03-2010, 08:17 PM
this show car wax will indeed show some filling and additional wetness. Top with your favorite carnauba wax, but remember filling is temporary.

Its not a wax.

While it does lightly fill, thats not the purpose of the product.

Larry A
08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Megs #7 is all filler.The purpose of a glaze is to fill .

Grizzly
08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Megs #7 is all filler.The purpose of a glaze is to fill .

Its sole purpose is not to fill in defects. Sure, it does have filling capability but thats not the purpose of the product.

M07 Show Car Glaze is one of the pure polishes offered by Meguiars, it is meant to be used after all the defects are removed and its darkens the finish and creates a deep wet shine.

Mike used it a lot in this thread and he sure did not use it just to fill in defects.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html?highlight=restore+metallic)

C. Charles Hahn
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Its not a wax.

Exactly. #7 is what is known as a "pure polish" -- meaning that it uses oils and emulsifiers to restore paint without mechanical abrasives in the formulation. As originally intended, the abrasive action would come from the toweling or applicator used to apply it and work it in.

Of course, as a side effect, the oils in #7 do exhibit a "filling" property.

There's a much more in-depth explanation of all this in the following article from Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

:props:

ScottB
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Its not a wax.

it is a show car "glaze" ... I used the wrong word in error. It has no protection thus why I offered to use a carnauba wax after it. And a glazes primary function is indeed to add wetness and by design some filling. It is not a polish and has no abrasive qualities of its own.

C. Charles Hahn
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Its sole purpose is not to fill in defects. Sure, it does have filling capability but thats not the purpose of the product.

M07 Show Car Glaze is one of the pure polishes offered by Meguiars, it is meant to be used after all the defects are removed and its darkens the finish and creates a deep wet shine.

Mike used it a lot in this thread and he sure did not use it just to fill in defects.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html?highlight=restore+metallic)

Dang it, you posted while I was typing.... but great minds think alike! :awesome:

Though it should be noted that M07 is NOT just meant to be used after defect removal -- it can also be used to rejuvenate the paint prior to using other polishes or compounds with mechanical abrasives in them (to prevent damage from the abrasive polishes).

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
If the paint is polished correctly a glaze will not enhance the paint. If #7 or any other glaze does that you left something on the table, just as plain as that.

Erik Mejia
08-04-2010, 03:35 AM
I respectfully disagree. Even a highly polished vehicle can benefit from a glaze such as M07, or any other quality glaze for that matter. The difference may be so minute, that you may prefer to skip this step, but it will make a slight difference. In most cases, on highly polished dark paints, a wax is all you'll need. A wax will provide that extra bit that the glaze would have, depending on the wax you've selected. (Meguiar's M26, and Gold Class are two waxes that come to mind. They not only protect, but also add some polishing oils. It is like getting a two for one deal.) I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea that a glaze can add some beautifying properties to a show car finish.

Best way to prove this to yourself (the reader) is by polishing a black panel to a show car shine, and stripping it with IPA or some Prepsol type product after polishing. After the finish has been stripped, apply some tape on the panel to create a test spot. Apply your glaze and wait a few seconds before removing it. After removing the tape, compare the glazed side to your control section, the difference may be small, but it will be noticeable. What you're looking for at this point is a darkening effect. The darkening effect is what will give you that extra pop, depth and gloss that many show car owners look for.

After testing this out, most of us would agree that on a highly polished vehicle, a glaze may not provide much of an improvement to the finish to justify the extra step, but I know for a fact that glazes do have their place, even on the concours circuit. I've seen first hand many owners of show car trophy winners use glazes right before a show or even at the show. The reason is because they do provide that little extra something that could secure them a trophy. Why not use wax you say? Well when you're at a show, a glaze makes much more sense, it doesn't need to dry, and you can apply and remove as you go. :xyxthumbs:

If the paint is polished correctly a glaze will not enhance the paint. If #7 or any other glaze does that you left something on the table, just as plain as that.

And to answer the OP's question, yes M07 does fill a bit. There are other glazes that fill a bit better, the ones that do and that I have personally used have been polymer based synthetic glazes.

Erik Mejia
08-04-2010, 04:17 AM
I found this thread and thought it could help you save some time and effort if fillers are something you're looking for in a single product (NXT Tech Wax is a great option.)

Most online enthusiasts cringe at the mere mention of a product that contains fillers. Why? Who knows (ego is my best guess.) Fillers aren't all that bad, especially if you're a consumer that needs a quick fix, and is looking for a product that will provide instantly visible results (even if it's only temporary.) Lets be honest, most consumers probably wouldn't break out the DA every time they see swirls in their finish. So fillers in some products aren't all that bad when you think about it. Think about it from the car care manufacturers point of view, it makes more sense.

Here is the link:

NXT hides swirls? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22291)

Pay attention to the third post as well as Mike Phillips post regarding the original OP's question.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes of course people on the show car circuit use glazes right before a show because it is simple and easy. Most of the cars are constantly wiped done incorrectly and have very minor surface scratches on them so wiping down with a glaze is an easy fix. Once again if you are seeing a difference with using glaze you didn't polish the paint correctly.

I have done 100's of show cars from wet sanding to the final polish and these guys just want something that is easy to use because like I said above they are constantly wiped down incorrectly. Also you have to understand there is a point of no return. Now when the paint is polished correctly nothing is going to enhance it period. You can only do so much before the reverse effect will occur. I also have done this just to prove glazes will not help. The handful of cars that I did apply glazes to actually looked a little hazy, that right there tells you the paint has been worked to the point it no longer has nothing else to offer and has been correctly polished.

Just to add about your comment about wax. An lsp is just applied to protect all your hard work not to add anything.

Dubbin1
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
M07 Show Car Glaze is one of the pure polishes offered by Meguiars, it is meant to be used after all the defects are removed

Then he used the product in the wrong way because that car was in bad need of a good polish and it shows in the end results. I cant figure out for the life of me why he put all the work into glazing that car by hand when it needed a machine polish. If nothing else has been done to that car as far as machine polishing then I am sure it is back to looking how it did when he started.

Grizzly
08-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Then he used the product in the wrong way because that car was in bad need of a good polish and it shows in the end results. I cant figure out for the life of me why he put all the work into glazing that car by hand when it needed a machine polish. If nothing else has been done to that car as far as machine polishing then I am sure it is back to looking how it did when he started.

I think he explained in the thread why he put all that hard work into glazing the car.