PDA

View Full Version : keeping your car clean

Bullitt AK
08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
i dont want to have to wash it every time it gets lightly dirty but sometimes it gets dirty quickly and i dont feel safe using a qd on it cause i dont want it to scratch or mar at all...and i feel like ONR would be the same?

kb2ehj
08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
As long as your smart about it, QD and ONR will not cause problems.

Mike P. has a write up on this subject, search and you will find it.

Basically don't use either product if you have caked on mud/dirt. If it's a lite dust level ie might blow off in the wind type dirt QD and ONR will work fine.

Search and you will see this topic has been covered several times (search things like QD ONR)

ScottB
08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
ONR is alot more lubricated than traditional quick detailers. It is used very often on very dirty cars especially in areas with water restrictions and professional settings.

I would try to schedule a wash weekly or every two weeks as possible. I would not personally try to spot clean (unless using ONR) between wash sessions.

Bullitt AK
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
so can i use my lambswool to do it or should i use something more porous

ScottB
08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I never used lambswool with ONR, I find that a good thick/soft MF towel or mitt is preferred. (to me anyhoo)

Matt
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I use my Meguiars Lambswool mitt for ONR washes. It's nice and soft and hasn't caused any marring.

Maybe some other lambswool mitts will, but I'm happy with the Meguiars one.

If you feel your car is too dirty to wash with ONR, then blast it with the hose outside, then bring it inside and wash with ONR as it should remove anything to heavy for ONR to clean. If it doesn't come off with the hose, ONR can probablly handle it.

Rsurfer
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I use my Meguiars Lambswool mitt for ONR washes. It's nice and soft and hasn't caused any marring.

Maybe some other lambswool mitts will, but I'm happy with the Meguiars one.

If you feel your car is too dirty to wash with ONR, then blast it with the hose outside, then bring it inside and wash with ONR as it should remove anything to heavy for ONR to clean. If it doesn't come off with the hose, ONR can probablly handle it.

Using a lambswool mitt to do an ONR wash is one thing, QDing with onr is another. Like Scott said I would perfer a MF towel to QD and yet I like a sheepskin to wash with.

Matt
08-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Using a lambswool mitt to do an ONR wash is one thing, QDing with onr is another. Like Scott said I would perfer a MF towel to QD and yet I like a sheepskin to wash with.

Oops, I misread what he meant about ONR, I though he was talking about washing with ONR and QDing with a QD. I agree that if QDing, a nice plush MF is the only way to go :iagree::xyxthumbs:

Bullitt AK
08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
and when i asked about using lambswool i was actually thinking about washing it and not QDing it because i was watching a video on it lol sry

ScottB
08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Its pretty clear that when washing you can use whatever you'd like even lambswool with no harm. I prefer MF but thats a personal choice, experiment and find what you like best.

sportscarhiatus
08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I might get flamed for this... but here is my process for "in-between" washes. Heck, my garage queen rarely gets washed because it never sees rain so it only has light dust.

I use a California duster, ensuring that no weight of the duster actually rests on the paint. I lift it up about 2 inches from the paint surface then let the bristles pick up the dust. Let it be known that NO MARRING or SCRATCHES result from this method. I know some of you will say otherwise, but I've been doing this for years, and my paint does not have duster-induced scratches.

After the dusting, I then hit it with Optimum Detailer or FK425. Tadaaaa... done. I don't like going straight to an MF/QD combo if there is dust on the car. I want to make sure I lifted off all the loose particles before QD'ing.

On the other hand, if the car is REALLY dusty, I proceed to do a full wash. This ends up being maybe 2 to 3 x a summer.

Streetlife
08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I use a thick soft plush microfiber with either ONR or PB Spray & Wipe, i'll be doing that this weekend ( i see very little dust on my daily driver that's garage kept), I just did the two bucket method last weekend. Trust me, here in Houston the two fore mentioned products are a life saver, i've never detailed with so much humidity and i've lived here all my life. It worked out for the better though, i was able to try a combo i had in mind for LSP's.Im the MAN