PDA

View Full Version : Sonax v.s. P21S Gel

cwpcasey
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Im not sure which one to buy. Ive used P21 gel before and liked it, but the problem with wheel cleaner is the demo wheel is never as bad as what you are really going to be cleaning. So just wanted to know how well Sonax really works and would you buy it over P21?

mchess1
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Im not sure which one to buy. Ive used P21 gel before and liked it, but the problem with wheel cleaner is the demo wheel is never as bad as what you are really going to be cleaning. So just wanted to know how well Sonax really works and would you buy it over P21?

I am planning on writing my Sonax writeup tonight, but here goes. Sonax works great but is expensive. I would say Sonax is a great cleaner for filthy wheels that are intricate.

I keep my wheels fairly clean and use poorboys wheel sealant to help keep them clean. I can't see pulling it out for regular cleaning in my case.

CEE DOG
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I was in the same boat. Currently use Griots wheel cleaner. On my order a couple days ago I decided I would try one of the 2 you mentioned. After putting P21 in my cart I went ahead and took it out in favor of the Sonax. Really want to try that stuff!! From what I read it is the stronger of the 2.

cwpcasey
08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I keep my wheels fairly clean and use poorboys wheel sealant to help keep them clean. I can't see pulling it out for regular cleaning in my case.

I see you have a BMW and its funny cause it seems all the BMWs I do they have the worse wheels. After I clean them there is always this leftover black stuff. Another guy had a write up about it the other day and had pictures and I think you commented on it. From what Ive heard BMW brake pads suck and they throw tons of brake dust. Will Sonax take care of that? On lighter cleaning is P21 regular a good cleaner?

mchess1
08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I see you have a BMW and its funny cause it seems all the BMWs I do they have the worse wheels. After I clean them there is always this leftover black stuff. Another guy had a write up about it the other day and had pictures and I think you commented on it. From what Ive heard BMW brake pads suck and they throw tons of brake dust. Will Sonax take care of that? On lighter cleaning is P21 regular a good cleaner?

I'll post my review tonight so you and Corey will have to wait! :)

Sonax makes mincemeat of BMW dust, so if you are looking for the big kahuna when nothing else works, it's the way to go!

P21S gel has been my go to for years on dirty wheels. I would say Sonax is better for that purpose. I will post my findings tonight.

cwpcasey
08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks will be looking out for it!

ScottB
08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I recently got a bottle on Sonax to try and found the product to be good, really good but very expensive considering how much you use versus bottle size. I also found it cleaned perhaps a bit better than P21S, but was slightly less impressed with color changing as my wheels are kept up so I didnt get the full effect. (trust me I wanted to see it)

I would however be remiss not to still suggest P21S and Griots as a choice. All work within hairs of each other and all are great choices on all wheel types. Best part they all appear safe for use and thats big with the cost of most aftermarket wheels.

mchess1
08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Posted the review if anyone is interested. Happy Reading!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/27621-review-sonax-full-effect-wheel-cleaner.html#post340345 :buffing:

cwpcasey
08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Well I dont think its that expensive considering P21 cost 17-20 depending where you buy it, and I dont think you get a whole lot for that. I think I only got about 4 maybe 5 uses out of the P21 bottle.

mchess1
08-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Well I dont think its that expensive considering P21 cost 17-20 depending where you buy it, and I dont think you get a whole lot for that. I think I only got about 4 maybe 5 uses out of the P21 bottle.

Oh, I agree. P21S is considered a pricey wheel cleaner also.

Compare it to the 17.99 for DP Wheel Cleaner, but you get 32 oz.

Or $9.99 for 35 oz of Griots!

cwpcasey
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Well Ive learned in my short life you get what you pay for. If a product works and makes my life easier Ill buy it no matter the price.

ScottB
08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
buy the larger version .. trust me !

Black Car
02-26-2011, 09:22 AM
i know this thread is old but to anyone reading it...that little bottle of p21s goes a long way. Better to spend the extra 5 bucks though and get the next size up.