PDA

View Full Version : grease stuff on bottem of new car doors

purgeofdarkness
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
on my 2010 f-150 I tried to clean the door jams with my carwash soap solution but theres like this grease on it that is holding dirt. I have the rustproofing package on my truck and i'm wondering if the greasy type stuff is from that or if it's from the factory. anyone else ever experience something like this?

purgeofdarkness
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh and it didnt wipe off with the mitt, I just kinda moved it a little bit but didnt really come off. it's almost like a wax of some sort. like thick candle wax type of thing.

gibbsj87
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Yup, a lot of Subaru's have that crap too :-(

JonMiles
08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I've seen it before, the dealership lets a lot of cars leave with it. Have you tried a paint cleaner on it? I've had success removing the unknown residue with 4* ultimate paint cleaner

purgeofdarkness
08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
APC it off or does it have to stay on to protect the rustproof warranty?

jahman
08-02-2010, 11:03 PM
You can APC it off. Your truck most definitely has a warranty against rust. Every new car/truck/SUV/minivan has a warranty on rust for a certain time frame or miles.

Also theres no such thing as rustproofing, its a scam by dealerships to make more money off of you. They usually give you a great deal on a car then say "oh for an extra $1000 we can add rustproofing". They do absolutely NOTHING to it, but they make an extra grand off you. I know plenty of people who own dealerships...trust me on this.

The sticky grease like film you're seeing is most likely where they took the protective packaging off from transport. Might take several attempts to get it off, but it'll come off.

Redneckmafia
08-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Isn't the stuff called cosmoline???It is like a shipping protectant. I remember my Father years ago when he worked at a dealership recon center they used back in the day mineral spirits to wash down the new Hyundai's,Nissan's,Suzuki's and even some of the GM products to get the stuff off of the vehicles.That was when they actually detailed vehicles before you bought it.It was not a wash,vac and go like today.They actually buffed cars.But just use some APC or mineral spirits to clean of the goo otherwise you will smear it everywhere...

purgeofdarkness
08-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys. I actually have some eastwood paint prep. I'll just use that.

proudpoppa
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
You can APC it off. Your truck most definitely has a warranty against rust. Every new car/truck/SUV/minivan has a warranty on rust for a certain time frame or miles.

Also theres no such thing as rustproofing, its a scam by dealerships to make more money off of you. They usually give you a great deal on a car then say "oh for an extra $1000 we can add rustproofing". They do absolutely NOTHING to it, but they make an extra grand off you. I know plenty of people who own dealerships...trust me on this.

The sticky grease like film you're seeing is most likely where they took the protective packaging off from transport. Might take several attempts to get it off, but it'll come off.

wanna bet they dont? not saying there arent some dealers that might do that but i do several a week and what he is describing is innercoat, which some places will spray on all the seams, even though the warranty probably wont cover it. if it bugs you a ton, get some mineral spirits or tarminator and it should come right off. when i spray the innercoat i only spray it on the inside of the panels, but i have seen them from other dealers where they get a little overboard and spray everything. enjoy your new truck.

S2K
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
wanna bet they dont? not saying there arent some dealers that might do that but i do several a week and what he is describing is innercoat, which some places will spray on all the seams, even though the warranty probably wont cover it. if it bugs you a ton, get some mineral spirits or tarminator and it should come right off. when i spray the innercoat i only spray it on the inside of the panels, but i have seen them from other dealers where they get a little overboard and spray everything. enjoy your new truck.
:iagree:
I worked at a dealership that had a bay set up just for undercoating and we did a lot of it on new cars. Ever heard of Ziebart? It was just like that, sticky black tar like substance and it would get everywhere and the porters wouldn't ever get it all cleaned up.

proudpoppa
08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
:iagree:
I worked at a dealership that had a bay set up just for undercoating and we did a lot of it on new cars. Ever heard of Ziebart? It was just like that, sticky black tar like substance and it would get everywhere and the porters wouldn't ever get it all cleaned up.
yeah there are two ziebarts about 50 miles away. and i will agree that stuff is prett messy, a guy that doesnt know what he is doing can make one hell of a mess.