PDA

View Full Version : Review: Liquid Natty Blue

mchess1
08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Special thanks to CEE DOG for allowing me to use his patented review template!

Review: Liquid Natty’s Blue

Introduction:
Thanks to Matt, Autogeek and Poorboys for the opportunity to test out the Liquid Natty Blue product in the beta stage. I am a big fan of many Poorboys products and use the Natty’s Red paste on a regular basis for LSP. Depending on my mood, I also sometimes layer Red on top of Poorboy’s EX-P. So it’s exciting to see another product from Poorboys in this category.

As CEE DOG mentioned he does also in his review, I have always applied my LSP by hand. Growing up on paste wax, it was always the way that I put the final touches on my vehicles. Even today with my Flex 3401, I don’t apply LSP’s by machine. This review was done by hand using a foam applicator.

As mentioned above, I love paste waxes. Since I knew the feel and performance of Natty Red by heart, I though it necessary to compare to another liquid wax. The only one I had on hand was a sample bottle of Liquid Souveran, so that was used. Somewhere along the line I read that Poorboy’s says the Liquid Blue is actually comparable to the Red paste vs the Blue paste so this is a good thing in my mind.

This review is a small part of a larger writeup on a show and shine on my brother’s Honday Odyssey. So the only inclusion in the writeup is the hood as the remainder of the vehicle was still being worked on. I will update the review as time goes on with the entire vehicle and include my durability thoughts as well.

Product Description (from back of bottle):
Liquid Natty’s Blue is an awesome alternative to our Natty’s Blue paste wax. Liquid Natty’s Blue adds beauty with depth and gloss. Using #1 Brazilian Carnauba you will get both year round protection and an easy on & easy off formula. Liquid Natty’s Blue will make waxing fast and fun. Liquid Natty’s Blue can be used in the sun or shade and is long lasting.

Initial Product Observations:
1.- Manufacturer Claims: True
2.- Packaging: Clear plastic bottle with label (covered in clear tape which is unlike any of my other Poorboy’s bottle. New label or just the beta?)
3.- Directions: Clear and concise
4.- Consistency: watery consistency (see below for more)
5.- Color: light blue (Robin’s egg?)
6.- Scent: Bubblegum (had to finally take it away from my 9 year old)
7.- Size: 16 oz.
8.- Current Price: Not yet available
9.- Manufacturer: Poorboy’s World
10.-Made in: Proudly made in the USA

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
1.- Wolfgang Final Glaze
2.- Autogeek foam applicator
3.- Microfiber towels

Method of Preparation:
After cleaning the hood with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, I split the hood to do the comparison test with Meg’s detailing tape.

Method of Application, and noted Observations:
After shaking the bottle vigorously as directed, I first opened the bottle to take a deep whiff of the bubblegum scent. It is a pleasing scent (I guess when you have kids it is required to tolerate the scent of gum) and I think it compares nicely to the strawberry scent I have come to enjoy from Natty’s Red.

The first thing I noticed upon applying to the applicator is that Natty’s Blue REALLY is a liquid. Again, being a paste guy I am not an expert on liquid waxes but it has a much different consistency then a sealant or the liquid souveran that I was using as a test subject. To confirm, I ran to my neighbor’s garage and noticed that Meguiar’s Liquid Gold has a thicker consistency as well. The best way to describe it is that Souveran seems to be a liquid with wax solubles in it while Natty’s Blue is watery.

It took very little to coat the applicator and this made the application extremely easy. This facet of the product would seem to make it almost impossible to put too much on the car. This may be the easiest LSP I have ever used as far as putting a thin thin coat on the paint. I didn’t use the wax on my Flex, but it would seem to be an extremely simple LSP to apply with a machine.

The wax was applied in my garage in the shade. It was hot muggy day in South Florida but I don’t have a tool like Corey to give you exact measurements. Should have used the Accuweather app on my iPhone! I didn’t test the sun claims on the bottle as I would personally never use it. You can see some of the other reviews to confirm the validity of the use in full sun.

The wax was quick to haze over and since I only did half the hood for this test it was ready to buff out. The wax came off very easy, this product is really a joy to use. The hood, although white, quickly took a bright shine and was extremely slick to the touch.

Not sure what was up with the photo upload tonight, but I couldn't get it to work after 5 tries.

Pros:
1.- Super easy to apply
2.- Super easy to remove
3.- Extremely difficult to NOT apply thinly. I think you would have to intentionally try to layer this on thick
4.-Nice bright shine on white paint

Cons:
1.- A possible con is that it is so easy to use that some pros may not consider using it. This would be a mistake.

???:
1.- As this is a beta product, I have not seen any mention of cost. All of the poorboy’s products are priced very fairly, so I would expect the same.

2.-I will update the post on durability of the wax and compare it to the durability of the Souveran. I typically get 2 to 3 weeks of use out of Red, so this will also be compared to the Liquid Blue.

Final Observations and Summary:
I really enjoyed using this wax and it was really a super easy LSP to apply/remove. I do have some Red pads for the Flex, so the next test may to be apply the Liquid Blue over the EX-P using the machine.

DISCLAIMER: I know wax selection is like religion or politics to most AGers so the following is simply my opinion. In comparison with the Souveran, a well regarded liquid wax, I found the Liquid Blue easier to use and finished with a comparable shine. With my expectation that Poorboy’s will be a more economical product then Souveran, it will come down to the durability of the two.

One thing not mentioned above is how little I actually used in applying to the hood. Again, there has been no price discussion on the beta product but I would think this 16 oz bottle would last FOREVER.

I hope the professional detailers out there do not dismiss this product because it is so easy to use. As long as it proves to be durable, I would think this may be an ideal wax for someone looking to maximize their time/profit ratio.

Poorboy’s – You have a winner in my book!

mchess1
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Okay, don't know what was wrong (probably ID 10 T error on my part) but the photos are working.

Not many since the others posted a bunch. I will post some of the entire vehicle and on beading with the durability.

Liquid Blue

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/rsz_img_4055.jpg

Sample Liquid Souveran

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_40561.jpg

Removal of Liquid Blue is Snap!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_40571.jpg

Not so great money shot of Liquid Natty's Blue

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_40581.jpg

Thanks for reading all the way through!

CEE DOG
08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Jon, Thanks for the awesome review! Best thread I've read all day at least. I read every word of course! Love that you drove the point home about pros using this. I completely agree. It can't be understated. Imo under the conditions I saw no other wax is going to go on any easier, come off this easily, or be so versatile with the sun. It really does look great as well. If I did this for a living I would be letting my stock of other wax dwindle in anticipation of this stuff... Of course that's assuming PB keeps there fair pricing structure. :dblthumb2:

Thanks again! Oh, you're right on the color robin egg blue is the perfect description.

rohnramirez
08-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks for sharing, Jon. Did you notice something that would set it apart from the rest of the liquid waxes? How would you categorize it - per bottle it is described as a liquid carnauba, do you feel it to hold true?

Now, i feel more embarrassed i still haven't gotten mine yet.

mchess1
08-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Jon, Thanks for the awesome review! Best thread I've read all day at least. I read every word of course! Love that you drove the point home about pros using this. I completely agree. It can't be understated. Imo under the conditions I saw no other wax is going to go on any easier, come off this easily, or be so versatile with the sun. It really does look great as well. If I did this for a living I would be letting my stock of other wax dwindle in anticipation of this stuff... Of course that's assuming PB keeps there fair pricing structure. :dblthumb2:

Thanks again! Oh, you're right on the color robin egg blue is the perfect description.

Thanks Corey, just trying to follow in your (very big) footsteps. I really enjoyed following your template and found myself wanting to write even more. I hope others find value in the review and Poorboy's follows through with the product.

Thanks for sharing, Jon. Did you notice something that would set it apart from the rest of the liquid waxes? How would you categorize it - per bottle it is described as a liquid carnauba, do you feel it to hold true?

Now, i feel more embarrassed i still haven't gotten mine yet.

Thanks Rohn.

I don't feel like I am enough of an expert to speak on the entire range of liquid waxes as I don't use them enough. I would expect Liquid Souveran to be in the top tier of available liquid waxes since it is so well respected which is why I chose it as the comparison test subject.

I would say that the product description is very accurate, it is a LIQUID carnauba.

I tried to explain this in the review, let me take another stab. Although the Souveran and Natty Blue are both categorized as liquid waxes, I found the Souveran to be more of a suspension. Now I know chemically both are suspension of solids in a liquid, but the Souveran felt like a very thin paste wax. You can "feel" the wax suspended in whatever liquid media they use. The Poorboys feels like water. I know there is carnauba in the mixture, but it goes on the applicator almost like pouring straight water.

Hopefully that describes it a little better. Thanks for asking!

mchess1
08-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Light rain last night in West Palm Beach, so I thought I would post some beading pictures.

Again, Souveran on Left - Liquid Natty Blue on Right.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_40591.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_40601.jpg

sullysdetailing
08-03-2010, 09:00 AM
They only con there would be is after 3 weeks it need to be reapplied. I applied it on a brand new red jeep about 3 weeks ago, the vehicle sits outside all the time and it need to be rewaxed. We did get alot of rain over the pasted 3 weeks though and 1 week was very sunny. This pasted weekend I applied Liquid Natty's on 2 more white truck this weekend that sit outside all day as well so I will be chiming in on this again soon.

Dubbin1
08-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm interested in how your comparison with the Souveran compares to mine. I'm already starting to see some big differences in the two on the panel I applied them too.

Meghan
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for trying it out Jon, glad you liked it!

mikep288
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Excellent review Jon, nice to see we shared many of the same observations in doing our reviews. Oh and in looking at your pictures, I'm jealous. Every time I place an order I keep digging through the peanuts hoping one of my friends at AG might have slipped me an Autogeek.net applicator pad or 2 or 3. Looks like I'm going to have to cave in and buy a couple now in preparation for my next review :)

rohnramirez
08-04-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't feel like I am enough of an expert to speak on the entire range of liquid waxes as I don't use them enough. I would expect Liquid Souveran to be in the top tier of available liquid waxes since it is so well respected which is why I chose it as the comparison test subject.

I would say that the product description is very accurate, it is a LIQUID carnauba.

I tried to explain this in the review, let me take another stab. Although the Souveran and Natty Blue are both categorized as liquid waxes, I found the Souveran to be more of a suspension. Now I know chemically both are suspension of solids in a liquid, but the Souveran felt like a very thin paste wax. You can "feel" the wax suspended in whatever liquid media they use. The Poorboys feels like water. I know there is carnauba in the mixture, but it goes on the applicator almost like pouring straight water.

Hopefully that describes it a little better. Thanks for asking!

Perfect! Thanks a bunch, Jon! :)

chost10
08-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Is it a pure liquid wax ? Most of the time it has a filling power and contains a cleaner.

mchess1
08-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Is it a pure liquid wax ? Most of the time it has a filling power and contains a cleaner.

Straight from Pockets@Poorboy's through CEE DOG.

Here is a quote directly from Pockets that clears up a question some were asking.

"Hey Corey,

LNB is not a cleaner wax. The solvents that make the product liquid can clean a little with the right application, such as a polishing pad or hard rubbing. it is meant to be used with a finishing pad at low speed or by hand just spreading it out. it will never remove swirls or scratches and can not strip a car of all it's wax or sealant."

Thanks for the info Pockets :dblthumb2: