PDA

View Full Version : A possible fade paint problem?

fusion
08-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Hi all,

Well I just got my car about a month ago and I am pretty happy about my mini cooper but during one of my clay sessions I noticed that there is a weird pattern to the car. It was kinda strange that there is this grid pattern over the majority of the car. It didn't bother me too much and just left it at that after polish and waxing.

Digging through the receipts of the previous owner I think i figured out what the pattern over all the car was from. It was a receipt for majority of the car to be vinyl wrapped. I am guessing that the 7 years the wrap was on the car, parts of it would allow sunlight in and parts of it would not. Before selling, I am guessing he took the wrap off I think it was to advertise the company. Thus creating a "carbon fiber pattern" to it. It not bad, you can only see the grids when you are really close, having your face 5 inches away at an angle.

Anybody have some tips to even the fade out?

ScottB
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
I cannot help with plight, but always wondered what all these cars would look like after several years of advertising wrapped around them. I would think the UV exposure would create a relatively big color difference.

HighEndDetail
08-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Can you post a picture of it?
And Scott, has a good point with the UV exposure

fusion
08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Can you post a picture of it?
And Scott, has a good point with the UV exposure

I tried getting a shot of it, but I am having trouble getting it in focus. It doesn't bother me too much, not for a repaint anyways. But it seems like the fading is a permanent deal.

2010-07-04_00-19-48_-_Sunny - MINI Cooper Gallery (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/94809)

I have some photos of the car above, but you can't see it the photo.

Harleyguy
08-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe in time it will all even out.Drive it down here to South fla the sun during the summer months will melt your clear coat back into shape.