PDA

View Full Version : People want detailing done for pennies!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 12:42 AM
So a friend of mine has gotten a couple of customers for me. He referred another one today.

The guy emailed telling me he just got back from a road trip, and his 05 Explorer needs a good wash and wax. I would assume the explorer is pretty dirty. I went on to tell him it's probably a good idea to havve the car clayed before waxing. I explained why. I quoted him $100 for what I have listed below. I told him if he doesn't want the clay bar treatment, I'll do everything else for $80.

Hand wash
Wheel wells cleaned and dressed
Wheels cleaned and protected
Tires cleaned and dressed
Interior vacuumed and wiped down
Windows cleaned
Clay bar to remove contamination from clear coat
Premium carnauba wax or sealant applied

He emailed telling me he thought that I was asking way too much money. He was thinking more along the lines of $40. I'm sorry, but that's just WAY too much work for $40, IMO!! Honestly, am I way off base??

CEE DOG
08-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I know someone over here that does an amazing job. He knows his stuff and has a true passion for his work. He does everything on the exterior including clay and a proper polishing for 120. I think thats an amazing price. But he also polishes which is what takes so much time.

To answer your question it depends on your interior work in my opinion. If you did a true full interior job then I would say 100$ is a good price.
He is also probably thinking that your not a real detail business and your a buddy of a buddy that's going to hook him up.

trhland
08-02-2010, 12:59 AM
people wereilive r the same way they wont spend much at all for a detail 150 in and out ..its crazy

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:00 AM
I know someone over here that does an amazing job. He knows his stuff and has a true passion for his work. He does everything on the exterior including clay and a proper polishing for 120. I think thats an amazing price. But he also polishes which is what takes so much time.
Clay and polish for $120??? :eek: Whoa, what a GENEROUS guy!

CEE DOG
08-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Clay and polish for $120??? :eek: Whoa, what a GENEROUS guy!

Yeah, he does it full time. The full deal. Wheels and tires cleaned. Tires dressed with Optimum. Car and everything sealed. Hes a pro. Does it mobile and on his site. He is a perfectionist also so he'll spend all day if he has to. I told my buddy I don't know how he makes money. He does my buddy's car once a year... tips him good. He's not getting anywhere near what he's worth. Last I heard he was going back to school at UCF so I hope that works out good. Great guy, great work.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:04 AM

To answer your question it depends on your interior work in my opinion. If you did a true full interior job then I would say 100$ is a good price.
He is also probably thinking that your not a real detail business and your a buddy of a buddy that's going to hook him up.

I don't think you're being unreasonable if the quality is good.
I can see what you're saying about not having a real detail business. However, I've done about 10 cars, mostly claying, waxing, full interior details(including extracting), and trim restore. All though I did do one polish job and the lady called me a magician(although I'm far from it), it as a nice conpliment. :) All 10 have been very satisfied with my work. I take my time, and I'm very thorough! Of course, not having an established business or reputation doesn't help.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, he does it full time. Hes a pro. Does it mobile and on his site. He is a perfectionist also so he'll spend all day. I told my buddy I don't know how he makes money. He does my buddy's car once a year... tips him good. He's not getting anywhere near what he's worth. Last I heard he was going back to school at UCF so I hope that works out good. Great guy, great work.
Heck no! I've looked at other respected pro detailers websites and they charge WAYYYYYYYYY more!!!

CEE DOG
08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
He does have up sells so he gets paid well for interiors and his upsells if I remember correctly. I've got a feeling he usually gets really good tips. He's still worth more though...

Fly bye
08-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Hand wash/dry
Wheels cleaned
Windows cleaned
Cleaner wax

He was thinking more along the lines of $40.

You can bust this out in 90 minutes.

That will yield you $26.66 per hour :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
You can bust this out in 90 minutes.

That will yield you $26.66 per hour :xyxthumbs:

I guess this is where the difference lies. There's no way that I could do all that in 90 minutes. Claying a dirty SUV in itself would take at least 45mins to an hour for me...lol.

EDIT: I didn't see u removed clay from the list

Fly bye
08-02-2010, 01:16 AM
:D

Dubbin1
08-02-2010, 01:34 AM
$100 for an SUV is well within line. Heck a couple weeks ago I got $50 for a basic wash, didn't even touch the interior and I swear the guy washed the truck before he dropped it off. He was happy as could be when he picked it up and handed me a 50 :dunno:

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:40 AM
$100 for an SUV is well within line. Heck a couple weeks ago I got $50 for a basic wash, didn't even touch the interior and I swear the guy washed the truck before he dropped it off. He was happy as could be when he picked it up and handed me a 50 :dunno:
That's awesome! :xyxthumbs:

I like the way you think! :props:

WRAPT C5Z06
08-02-2010, 01:42 AM
CEE DOG does make a good point that I don't have an established detailing business, so people aren't aware of my hard work and quality work! :D

BobbyG
08-02-2010, 06:18 AM
I'll do everything else for $80.

Hand wash
Wheel wells cleaned and dressed
Wheels cleaned and protected
Windows cleaned
Premium carnauba wax or sealant applied

He emailed telling me he thought that I was asking way too much money. He was thinking more along the lines of $40. I'm sorry, but that's just WAY too much work for $40, IMO!! Honestly, am I way off base??

It's take you at least an hour and a half to properly wax a Ford Explorer. Add an additional hour for the rest of the work and your looking at a minimum of 3 hours plus all the chemicals and equipment you'll be using. He's lucky you're only charging him $80 for all that work, I'd charge him $100 for the work you've laid out.

Mark,

If he wants it done for $40 give him the address of a local car wash.