PDA

View Full Version : Noob LSP Question

pfix
07-31-2010, 06:31 AM
I am new to the forum and just received my first batch of products from the Geeks yesterday. I am going to work on my wife's graphite gray 08 Volvo S60 today that has some minor fine scratches in the clear coat. The car has never been through a brush/rag auto wash. I do not have a DA polisher (Yet) so I decided my method of attack will be wash w/ Megs GC wash, PB Clay, wash, PB blk hole glaze,PB EX-P. Wait 24 hours.

My question is, can I top these products with Autoglym HD wax without removing any of the other products. It says the wax contains "saturated hydrocarbons" and I have no idea what they are or if they will interfere with my other products. My only other option on hand is Megs GC nuba wax.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

ScottB
07-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Once the sealant (Ex-P) dries/cures for 24 hours you should be fine topping it with Autoglmn wax for additional wetness and good looks.

I would only add if you are not considering polishing by machine, you might wanna consider a paint cleanser on next order. It not only does light filling (like the glaze) but it also cleans and chemically strips old waxes and sealants to offer a pristine finish.

pfix
07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the reply. I intend to purchase a DA polisher in the near future which will give me more options for swirl and defect removal. Can you recommend a good paint cleansing product ?

Will the clay process remove old wax sufficiently or should I do Dawn dish soap wash after the clay?

Thanks

Paul

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Thank you for the reply. I intend to purchase a DA polisher in the near future which will give me more options for swirl and defect removal. Can you recommend a good paint cleansing product ?

Will the clay process remove old wax sufficiently or should I do Dawn dish soap wash after the clay?

Thanks

Paul

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

They clay will do a good job at removing the wax.

pfix
07-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input.

Paul

ScottB
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks

Paul

I still find Pinnacles and P21S Paint cleansers really get the job done well. They are like lotions and easy to apply/remove even by hand. (can be used with buffer too)

I dont know that clay will remove all the old wax/sealant, but it will create some light marring. I am not a fan of Dawn in car care, but you should be able to wipe down finish with alcohol or get something locally if you really want to strip any remaining protection. Just remember to rewash after them as most are solvents. (3M Wax Remover , Prepsol, Acyrsol). You can even find Megs Paint Cleanser locally at most Pepboys and likely other car parts stores as desired.

Anyone local to you that can share ??? If your in Broward County, Florida I'd be more than happy to give you plenty.

pfix
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM
The clay did not remove all of the wax as was evident by the water beading up after the post clay wash. I have some Acrysolv that I started to use to wipe the exterior down with prior to the second wash but my wife said "You are not putting that stinky stuff on my car!" Since I had had just about enough car polishing fun for one day in 90 + degree heat and humidity, we moved on to the PBBH glaze and then EX-P sealant.

The car looks good, huge improvement from start to almost finished. I would have preferred to remove all of the wax but I can always accomplish that on another day, hopefully when I get my new DA polisher and I can really do it up right.

We will put the Autoglym HD on tomorrow afternoon and call it good.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Water WILL still bead on a nice clean surface without wax ;)

pfix
07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I have no way of knowing for sure how much if any wax was left.It certainly gave us the impression it had some wax left from the beading of the water but who knows. The car looks good and I am pleased with the results. The paint is as slick as glass, the clay job made a huge difference and the gloss is wet and deep. My wife remarked that it looks better than when we bought it so I will take that as a job well done.

Thanks for all of your help.

Paul

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 06:59 PM
The car looks good and I am pleased with the results.

Thats all that matters!!!