PDA

View Full Version : What rpm to shift at...

Pages : [1] 2

Christopher
07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
As the title suggests... I am 16, and drive my parents 2002 wrangler tj 4.0l manual(still on my permit), and I know what rpm I CAN shift at, but I am wondering what rpm I SHOULD shift at. I guess what I am asking is: Should I shift a bit on the early side? Or a bit on the late side? I am not looking for fuel economy, but rather what is best for the engine.

In tidying up the question: Should I give the engine a bit more gas at lower rpms or a bit less gas a higher rpms -- If I want what's best for the engine?

I have 2 schools of thought: Keeping the rpms low to keep wear and tear off things like cylinder rings and such... Or keep the rpms a bit higher to keep mechanical torque stress of components such as the connecting rods?

Sorry if that was a bit wordy...

Fly bye
07-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I shift at 9k in my car. The higher the rpms, the more gas you'll need to give it, otherwise it will be revving higher for a longer duration.

Christopher
07-30-2010, 11:23 PM
I shift at 9k in my car. The higher the rpms, the more gas you'll need to give it, otherwise it will be revving higher for a longer duration.

My redline is about 5.4k :laughing:
For normal driving, not for heavy acceleration

DARK HORSE
07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
As the title suggests... I am 16, and drive my parents 2002 wrangler tj 4.0l manual(still on my permit), and I know what rpm I CAN shift at, but I am wondering what rpm I SHOULD shift at. I guess what I am asking is: Should I shift a bit on the early side? Or a bit on the late side? I am not looking for fuel economy, but rather what is best for the engine.

In tidying up the question: Should I give the engine a bit more gas at lower rpms or a bit less gas a higher rpms -- If I want what's best for the engine?

I have 2 schools of thought: Keeping the rpms low to keep wear and tear off things like cylinder rings and such... Or keep the rpms a bit higher to keep mechanical torque stress of components such as the connecting rods?

Sorry if that was a bit wordy...

I do not have have any experience with a jeep, but I would think around town driving 2.5K to 3K would be appropriate.

Are you sure you shift at 9K?? If so what are you driving, an F16???

Southern Stang
07-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I agree with dark horse. I'd rather shift at a higher rpm, and not lug it too much but not busting her balls either. Unless I'm trying to be quiet as im a bit loud, then I tend to lug it. Just all personal preference. I also have mood swings where I'm very playful and let the pony run aswell. :)

DARK HORSE
07-30-2010, 11:47 PM
The rev limiter on my "09" Pony kicks in at about 6500-6800 rpms...

rwright
07-30-2010, 11:52 PM
When I was learning I was told to shift at every 10mph. Example start - 10mph 1st gear, 10mph - 20mph 2nd gear, etc. Not every vehicle has a tach (most older cars).

I like your logic Tad, shifting at 9k must be some sort of fighter jet! Must be riding a crotch rocket hitting 9k rpm's.

CEE DOG
07-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Both Saturn SL's actually have an orange light that says "shift" It pops up every time its time to.... yep shift.

When I'm feelin froggy I shift at between 5k and 6k in my Sky (really at about 5K). Normally probably around 3.

When I had my kawasaki back in the day I might of hit 9K. I forget how high that thing went!

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 01:12 AM
The rev limiter on my "09" Pony kicks in at about 6500-6800 rpms...

Man those are baby rpm's, I used to shift my sbc at 9500. Of course that was a full blown race motor but still :)

DARK HORSE
07-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Man those are baby rpm's, I used to shift my sbc at 9500. Of course that was a full blown race motor but still :)

:dunno: I'm pretty sure his Jeep Wrangler does not have a full blown race motor, but still :nomore: ;)

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 01:25 AM
:dunno: I'm pretty sure his Jeep Wrangler does not have a full blown race motor, but still :nomore: ;)
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with your low rpm rev limiter too :p

DARK HORSE
07-31-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with your low rpm rev limiter too :p

Just wondering if there is anything that you don't know everything about?;)

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Just wondering if there is anything that you don't know everything about?;)

No not really :laughing:

Fly bye
07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Are you sure you shift at 9K?? If so what are you driving, an F16???

An F20C :xyxthumbs:

Fly bye
07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
My redline is about 5.4k :laughing:
For normal driving, not for heavy acceleration

"Not for heavy acceleration"...

For best fuel milage, don't rev anywhere near redline, which means you'll not have to give WOT (wide open throttle). 1/2 - 3/4 throttle should be sufficient.