PDA

View Full Version : Need some process opinions

heavychevy
11-13-2006, 01:54 AM
My vette has been at a performance shop for over a month now, it has it's own cubby but the dust in there is aweful and I know the paint will feel lke sandpaper when I get it back. It has some minor swirls from where I didnt reall know the right processes until I started viewing forums (autopia,autogeek,detail city, etc) so I want some opinions on what I should do when I get it back because the first order of business is to clean that baby.

I have a PC, all LC pads Optimum HC/C&Polish, All Zaino Stuff, Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1.5 and EXP, natty's blue, XMT 3,2&1, Pinnacle Souveran, Rotary on the way, but not ready to use that yet. ( BTW SSR's are out because I did a side by side with ZFX and it was no comparison)

My idea is to

1 Wash (Megs 2 bucket)

2 Clay (Z18) (Z6 or 8 whatever those numbers are)

3 Wash (Megs)

4 Polish - PC w/ orange LC and Optimum Coumpound (OHC and Yellow where needed)

5 Optimum Polish w/ LC white pad

6 EXp with LC grey pad

7 Pinnacle Souveran paste spread like butter on PC (white) or by hand

8 I have a custom built 427 so I dont want to spray water in the bay but want to clean it (need ideas)

sparkie
11-13-2006, 04:45 AM
I do not wash after claying, I dry, then polish. Thats fine if you want to rewash. Post pics when your done.

supercharged
11-13-2006, 05:14 AM
:Picture:

ryandamartini
11-13-2006, 05:21 AM
use OP on an orange pad. That vette clear will kick your ass. Use the finishing pad for ex-p. Do souveran by hand.

As for cleaning the engine, cover anything that cant get water on it, and spray away .

ScottB
11-13-2006, 07:27 AM
great combo and technique.

As for the engine, use a bunch of damp towels. Use a leaf blower for any dust, and use Klasse AIO (painted items) and 303 Protectant (lines, rubber surrounds) and it should look good as new.

ashsarna
11-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Good process. Two things, you could bypass a second wash if you clay using a QD (like Megs) as a lube; spray and wipe panel at a time. And, personally I enjoy applying souveran by hand (1) I get a better idea of how the finish is (2) easier to get into the nooks and odd places, (3) very easy to wowo.

heavychevy
11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Well I like to rewash after claying because it looks so nasty when your done like someone just #@%^$^# all over the car. I will post befores and afters, I think I have a halogen light around here somewhere.

Grimm
11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds like the clay marred the paint if it looks bad. But if you are polishing, no need to rewash again.

scootertrash
11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
need some input ..have a new 07 Avalanche Black..
Have hit it with liquid Ice....tried Nono wax. its ok .if I want to go Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant and top with P21 concours or Souveran paste, do I need to hit it with a precleaner first

P1et
11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I've never tried EX-P on a white pad, interesting...

heavychevy
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Sounds like the clay marred the paint if it looks bad. But if you are polishing, no need to rewash again Nah the paint was fine it was just the lube drying and looking milky when it did.

I've never tried EX-P on a white pad, interesting...

Your right I will probably do Grey

heavychevy
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
One more question, if I put the EXP on after the Optimum Polish will there be any bonding issues for the sealant?

supercharged
11-14-2006, 05:16 AM
One more question, if I put the EXP on after the Optimum Polish will there be any bonding issues for the sealant?
No issues, as long as you rewash after polishing, or wipe down paint with 50/50 alcohol/water mix.