PDA

View Full Version : Used truck

daves120
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I recently purchased a 1993 Chevy S10 and it has heavily oxidized black paint. I am wondering how to proceed to bring back as much luster as possible. The truck had been sitting outside for about a year and the bird dropping have taken a toll on the paint. The truck has been washed twice and half the hood has been clayed. Also, it has two treatments with Mequiar's show car glaze #7.

I am thinking of using a polish before sealing and waxing the paint. Currently I have an orbital buffer from Griot's and would prefer to machine if possible.

Any quidance would be greatly appreciated.

guess23959
07-29-2010, 08:34 PM
if you start to see grey - white it wont be savable unless its repainted i think (to the best of my knowledge). i have a blk 98 grand prix and it breaks my heart to see it like this. it was never like this, but i had no idea about paint correction and compounding to prevent discoloration and preserve the luster.

BobbyG
07-30-2010, 05:19 AM
:welcome: To AutoGeek!

A couple of quick photos would help generate some quantified recommendations.

It sounds as if you need to start with something fairly aggressive like Meguiar's #95 Speed Cut or Menzerna Power Gloss S34A and a purple foam pad. Always do a test spot to gage the effectiveness and next step.

There are allot of charts and products here so do a little browsing, reading, and ask lots of questions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

Flash Gordon
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I recently purchased a 1993 Chevy S10 and it has heavily oxidized black paint. I am wondering how to proceed to bring back as much luster as possible. The truck had been sitting outside for about a year and the bird dropping have taken a toll on the paint. The truck has been washed twice and half the hood has been clayed. Also, it has two treatments with Mequiar's show car glaze #7.

I am thinking of using a polish before sealing and waxing the paint. Currently I have an orbital buffer from Griot's and would prefer to machine if possible.

Any quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the new purchase. I had a 94 black S-10 at one time. I would first give that bad boy a bath with straight APC (IN THE SHADE/COOL SURFACE) If you are looking for an easy 1 step. I would hit it with Menz Power Finish via Yellow Flat pad

Hope this helps :buffing:

Mike Phillips
07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
I recently purchased a 1993 Chevy S10 and it has heavily oxidized black paint. I am wondering how to proceed to bring back as much luster as possible. The truck had been sitting outside for about a year and the bird dropping have taken a toll on the paint. The truck has been washed twice and half the hood has been clayed. Also, it has two treatments with Meguiar's show car glaze #7.

A 1993 Chevy Truck might actually have single stage paint, I remember working on a brand new 1991 Chevy truck in 1991 that was red and the red paint was single stage.

Does it look a lot better after the #7 treatment?

Did your polishing applicators and towels show black pigment coming off the paint? If yes then it is a single stage and if no then it's clear coated.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely clay the rest of paint before polishing if you haven't done so yet. As for polishing if it is single stage then you can probably bring the paint back by polishing, if it's a clear coat finish, check out the pictures in the link above to see if it looks like clear coat failure, basically the clear layer of paint will start turning opaque or milky white...

:)

Flash Gordon
07-30-2010, 08:46 AM
A 1993 Chevy Truck might actually have single stage paint, I remember working on a brand new 1991 Chevy truck in 1991 that was red and the red paint was single stage.

Does it look a lot better after the #7 treatment?

Did your polishing applicators and towels show black pigment coming off the paint? If yes then it is a single stage and if no then it's clear coated.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

Definitely clay the rest of paint before polishing if you haven't done so yet. As for polishing if it is single stage then you can probably bring the paint back by polishing, if it's a clear coat finish, check out the pictures in the link above to see if it looks like clear coat failure, basically the clear layer of paint will start turning opaque or milky white...

:)

Good point Michael. I know my 94 was clear coated, but alot of the latter years were single stage :buffing: