PDA

View Full Version : IPA question

Bullitt AK
07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
do i need to do an IPA wipe down after using a paint cleaner if i am sealing after that step?

Rsurfer
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
do i need to do an IPA wipe down after using a paint cleaner if i am sealing after that step?
No, unless you are looking for swrils after polishing, then you would use the IPA wipedown first and then the paint cleaner if you want to, although not neccessary.

Bullitt AK
07-28-2010, 09:46 PM
ok thanks...

but i would need to do one after polishing if i am sealing after right? for the purpose of the sealant bonding?

CEE DOG
07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
If you don't use a paint cleaner then you should clean the oils from the polish off your paint before sealing except for in some case the final polish you use is from the same line as the sealant. In this case sometimes it is recommended. For instance if you were to use Ultima PPP as your final polish or as a paint cleaner then you would seal directly afterwards unless as Ron said you were still looking for swirls.

Another example: (allthough I haven't tested it myself) I think with the Wolfgang line you can use the Wolfgang sealant after using either the Finishing polish or the paint cleaner.

but i would need to do one after polishing if i am sealing after right? for the purpose of the sealant bonding?

Basically if the polish you are using has oils in it that are not friends with your sealant of choice then you need to clean the paint with something that leaves nothing behind or is specially formulated to be friends with that sealant.

Rsurfer
07-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Imo, paint cleaners are used when polishing is not done. After polishing you should do an IPA wipe down for inspection purposes. Now that your paint is clean you can apply waxes/sealants. If you just want to get rid of the old wax and not do any correction then a paint cleaner before applying the new wax is in order.

Bullitt AK
07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
If you don't use a paint cleaner then you should clean the oils from the polish off your paint before sealing except for in some case the final polish you use is from the same line as the sealant.

Basically if the polish you are using has oils in it that are not friends with your sealant of choice then you need to clean the paint with something that leaves nothing behind or is specially formulated to be friends with that sealant.

i thought you would use PPP for example before polishing, not after?

CEE DOG
07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
You should probably follow Rons advice over mine. He certainly has a lot more experience and knowledge on the subject. I should have been more clear that what I described is simply "the way I have been doing things". Most people on here would agree with the advice Ron gave you. Personally I have never tried spraying down the whole car with IPA. I always inspect random as well as specific locations using IPA during/after my polishing process, but that's it.
I guess it would actually be easier and definetly cheaper for me to switch my method but for some reason I don't like spraying the IPA all over the car.

Rsurfer
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Uppp is a paint cleaner with no abrasives. It will chemically clean your paint and acts as a primer for UPGP (sealant). So if you are going to use UPPP, it would be used after polishing not before. If you are going to skip the correction work then you can use UPPP before sealing.

CEE DOG
07-28-2010, 10:28 PM

I wouldn't. I would either use it as the only "polish" or the final polish.

Edit: oops, beat me to it

Bullitt AK
07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
hm, ok i see. the reason i thought it goes first is because last time i did the whole thing i just used megs 3 step which was paint cleaner first then polish...why would the paint need to be cleaned after polishing? wouldnt it be 'cleaned' already since you already skimmed off the top layer of clear?

say that you arent using the paint cleaner as a primer for your sealant like PPP does...THEN would it go first before polish?

do you all have any recommendations as far as a paint cleaner to use if im just cleaning then sealing with JS109? and then if i am polishing then sealing? because im not sure if i should get the PPP since im using JS109..and its meant to be used with upgp

09TSX
07-29-2010, 05:27 AM
If I am going from Mezerna 85RD to Wolfgang Super Gloss 3.0 Sealant, do I do an IPA wipedown before the sealant?

BobbyG
07-29-2010, 06:12 AM
If I am going from Mezerna 85RD to Wolfgang Super Gloss 3.0 Sealant, do I do an IPA wipedown before the sealant?

I do for two reasons;

Check for swirls
Removes residual oils and debris

CEE DOG
07-29-2010, 06:13 AM

Yes, you need to clean the oils from 85RD off before sealing.

Wendell Jarvis
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Imo, paint cleaners are used when polishing is not done. After polishing you should do an IPA wipe down for inspection purposes. Now that your paint is clean you can apply waxes/sealants. If you just want to get rid of the old wax and not do any correction then a paint cleaner before applying the new wax is in order.

:iagree: and there is your answer folks.............