PDA

View Full Version : First purchase advice

Pages : [1] 2

spellrm
07-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I have been lurking here for a while (almost 7 months!) just reading everything I could, and now, after a $100 gift card to AG (thanks Mom), it is time to purchase my supplies. I just want to check here first to make sure I'm not missing anything important. So here is my shopping cart as of now:
http://i31.tinypic.com/10oh379.png

I have a few questions:
1. Do I need to call AG and ask if they can substitute the 6" backing plate that comes with the GG with a 5" one? I've read a few threads here that said they called and AG was happy to switch them.

2. I also read somewhere that there was a discount for new members. Is that still around? :D

Also, I just want to point out that I already have a few things such as: Megs NXT 2.0, Gold Class wash, Megs clay, I'm getting buckets from Lowes, microfiber towels, UQW, ONR, grout sponge.

I've heard good things about ShMitts, should I ditch the grout sponge and get a ShMitt? I'm also kind of leaning towards the Cobra microfiber mitt.

I'm also going to buy this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weed-Eater-WEB150-Electric-Blower/4910793) leaf blower to dry my car, since lately I've been having major trouble drying without scratching the paint.

Any other suggestions as to what I need or may want to consider buying, please chime in!

Thank you :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Your shopping list looks pretty good, you'll be able to tackle just about any swirled out car with that collection of products.

Always good to see a lurker transition to an active member...

:xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Welcome! Pretty good work with the money!
If you're getting scratches during drying is the grout sponge to blame or is it a good one? If you're happy with it then stick with it. Otherwise I would go with the mf wash mitt. I have the Schmitts now as well but haven't used them tons. They are very nice but I'm just hooked on my mf mitts still. For you there is no telling which will be your favorite untill you try them.

spellrm
07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mike!

Welcome! Pretty good work with the money!
If you're getting scratches during drying is the grout sponge to blame or is it a good one? If you're happy with it then stick with it. Otherwise I would go with the mf wash mitt. I have the Schmitts now as well but haven't used them tons. They are very nice but I'm just hooked on my mf mitts still. For you there is no telling which will be your favorite untill you try them.

I'm pretty sure it's the drying because I tried the Vroom branded microfiber drying towel (btw it just moves around the water) and it scratched the roof. But I may buy a microfiber mitt and do an experiment to make sure the grout sponge isn't scratching. Thanks for the help!

Anyone other comments or suggestions are welcome! I'm looking to place the order this Saturday and I want it to be as complete as possible.

spellrm
07-31-2010, 12:12 AM
To avoid starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask here: I have some Megs NXT Wax 2.0 but I'm starting to get second thoughts about using it. I'm leaning more towards a sealant. I've used Opti-Seal before and while it seems durable and easy to use, it doesn't seem like it gives a good shine. I want something that will really make my Jet black BMW paint look warm and wet.

I've read good things about BFWD and Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. Does AG carry BFWD?

Any recommendations for sealants?

CEE DOG
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
To avoid starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask here: I have some Megs NXT Wax 2.0 but I'm starting to get second thoughts about using it. I'm leaning more towards a sealant. I've used Opti-Seal before and while it seems durable and easy to use, it doesn't seem like it gives a good shine. I want something that will really make my Jet black BMW paint look warm and wet.

I've read good things about BFWD and Wolfgang Deep Gloss sealant. Does AG carry BFWD?

Any recommendations for sealants?

I would go ahead and post this in a seperate thread. Then what you title it will get hits from people who are more likely to answer that subject. AG doesn't carry BFWD but I can't think of a sealant they carry that won't look great on a properly polished car. The key is to get the paint polished to its potential. :dblthumb2:
Wolfgang makes great products and I'm sure you won't be dissapaointed. I love Ultima (UPGP). Then there is DP, Four Star, etc. etc.

You already have the NXT. Polish the car up real nice and give it a try. Next month you can give one of these sealants a try!

spellrm
07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks again for your help Cee Dog! I'm gonna hold off on posting another thread and I'm gonna take your advice on trying the NXT wax. I kinda forgot that if I didn't like it, I can just strip it and try something else :doh:.

I'm getting a free sample of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant with my order so I want to try it also. How big are the samples? Enough to cover an entire car at least once?

DARK HORSE
07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Toss the NXT... Being that you have black paint; if durability is of concern to you then go with the WGDGPS, but if you keep your ride garaged and don't mind waxing every 3-4 weeks definitely go with Souveran paste wax. It is like candy for your black paint! If your paint is polished correctly it will help give you that warm wet look that we black paint owners are seeking!

DARK HORSE
07-31-2010, 12:34 AM
The sample is enough to do your car at least twice. Put it on very thin, let it bond to the paint for at least 30-45 minutes and then buff it off... You won't be disappointed. Then try some Souveran paste for a real treat...

Also, buy more than 1 of the Pinnacle foam applicators, get at least 6. They are cheap and you will use them!!

One other thing; I don't think the buckets from Lowes will fit the grit guards. But I know for sure that the Homer buckets from Home Depot will accomadate them.

spellrm
07-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Durability is almost more important to me than the looks, but I'd love to have both. My car is garaged in the summer, but when I go back to school it sits in a parking lot for 2-3 weeks at a time :(.

I wish I could get some Souveran but I don't have the cash right now. I'll make sure to focus on the prep work because that seems to be the most important step, not LSP.

EDIT: That's awesome news about the sample. And I'm gonna take your advice about the applicators, they are too cheap to only get 1. And thanks for the heads up about the buckets!

Dubbin1
07-31-2010, 01:41 AM
Durability is almost more important to me than the looks, but I'd love to have both. My car is garaged in the summer, but when I go back to school it sits in a parking lot for 2-3 weeks at a time :(.

I wish I could get some Souveran but I don't have the cash right now.

If you need durability the souveran is not for you.

rwisejr
07-31-2010, 07:04 AM
The WGDGPS 3.0 would fit the bill. It has a great look and good durability. Plus you can top it with some Souveran or Fuzion.

CEE DOG
07-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Good advice on the foam applicators and buckets. The grit guards fit perfect in the HD buckets! You can actually hold the bucket upside down and spray it out and the grit guard won't fall out.

There should be a 6 pack of those foam applicators available. cheaper then buying 1+1+1+1+

spellrm
07-31-2010, 10:19 AM
If you need durability the souveran is not for you.

Ah, well good thing I can't afford it! :laughing:

Good advice on the foam applicators and buckets. The grit guards fit perfect in the HD buckets! You can actually hold the bucket upside down and spray it out and the grit guard won't fall out.

There should be a 6 pack of those foam applicators available. cheaper then buying 1+1+1+1+

Agreed!

Well I'm gonna pull the trigger here pretty soon! I'm excited!

spellrm
07-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Ordered! I waited until today to take advantage of the free shipping sale, and then I used the 15% off coupon code to score an awesome discount! That combined with my $100 gift certificate, I got a HUGE deal! :buffing:

http://i27.tinypic.com/okza05.png