PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need? Newbie detailer

shriram
07-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi

I am a newbie (in the past just used to wash car by hand every now and then) and have a black 2001 Audi S4. It was garaged but has major swirls one or two deep scratches.

I live in SF, and park on the streets.

I don't have a DA yet though will either buy one or use some friends.

What I have

1. Viking wool wash mitt

2. Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash

3. Optimum No Rinse

4. Meguiars Quick Wax

5. Optimum Spray Wax

6. Meg's Quick Detailer

7. Meg's Interior Detailer

8. Meg's clay kit

9. Megs Natural Shine Protectant

10. Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

11. P21S Paint cleanser

12. 5 Gallon bucket, 3 gallon bucket, 2 grit guards. Likely both grit guards will be in the rinse bucket, since even with 2 gallons of wash I have a lot left over and 5 gallons is overkill. Also with grit guard in wash bucket, cant reach the last gallon or so of wash.

13. Leatherique Oil and conditioner.

14. Viking waffle weave towel for drying.

15. Cobra MF towels (3) Green

16. Megs Applicator (the ones with applicator and towel)

17. Megs and Turtle Wax Tire and wheel cleaner (all wheel)

18. Mothers Interior/Carpet Brush

19. 4-5 Costco yellow MF towels

20. Stoner Invisible Glass.

LIkely to also buy a chenille wash mitt (the dreadlocks kind) and a meg's white microfiber wash mitt.

Since my car is driven 3 times a week or so, and is parked outside on the street (not to mention 10 years old) my philosophy is keep it looking reasonably good and more importantly maintained well. I also really like products that perform more than one function like ONR (wash, detailer, clay lubricant etc) and also ones which last (hence 845). Additionally products that give me 90% of best in class is fine as find the last 10% or so takes too much effort (for me.

I think I still need some sort of polish/swirl remover (don't think P21 cleanser is enough) and thinking maybe Klasse AIO or Optimum Hyper Polish or Meg's Ultimate Compound.

I attended a detailing class and used Meg's Ultimate Compound on a DA with a yellow pad and with two passes looked much better (car was clayed first).

Q. is what other products do I need? Again not looking for best shine/looks, more to maintain car.

Thanks.

S

ScottB
07-28-2010, 07:12 AM
the paint cleansing lotion is fine for use to remove old wax and light contaminents prior to waxing. Its certainly better than moving right back to wax. Whats missing youve already offered, you need to consider a machine buffer and polishes !

Consider the lighter cost of the random orbitals like Griots or PC-XP. Toss in a 5 inch backing plate and some 5.5 inch pads. Grab a two step polish deal like Menzerna (SIP and Nano) or Megs (105 and 205) or Wolfgang (TSR and FG) and your good to go. Its the next step and will help remove those scratches and swirls and bring out more gloss and reflection than any other method. Dont worry you can do it and its much simpler than most think, just be patient and give extra time on the first polishing session.