PDA

View Full Version : Using PC to polish SUV with pinstripe

waxman
11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
What is the proper way to polish and wax using the PC on a suv that has a pinstrip running along the both sides? Do you get close to it and then polish along the pinstirpe by hand? The pinstripe was installed by the dealer and can be removed so I am afraid that the PC might take it off if it is allowed to be over it.

Thanks

Surfer
11-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Depending on the size, most are not wide, you can use painters tape. I have a 3M version in the 3/4" or whatever size it is, and it goes perfectly over the strip on our Lincoln.

BILL
11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Depending on the size, most are not wide, you can use painters tape. I have a 3M version in the 3/4" or whatever size it is, and it goes perfectly over the strip on our Lincoln.

:iagree: painters tape..........

Grimm
11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Ditto the tape. When I first got my PC I didn't tape over the stripe on my car figuring I didn't care if I removed it because I would have liked it better that way (plus it's 11 years old and to be sold soon). Well the PC was easily removing it, but it still would have taken quite a bit of time so I taped over the rest.

ltoman
11-13-2006, 11:51 AM
for tape i can see - does it matter if they are hand painted?

waxman
11-13-2006, 12:10 PM
If tape is used as suggested, would'nt the PC remove the painter's tape if you go over it? Maybe I am missing something. Are you all saying to place painter's tape over the stipe and just go over it with the PC? I just can not see the painter's tape holdling.

Maybe, you are saying to place the tape over the stirpe and just go over the paint area by hand with the polish and the tape is just there to not mess up the stipe.

thanks for the responses so far.

Grimm
11-13-2006, 01:13 PM
ltoman, I was referring to factory painted stripes. I was practicing on my first car, so I didn't care so much about doing it perfect so I just took the 2 inch painters tape I was using, and ripped it in half best I could and covered the stripe. I think I had a couple spots where the end came loose, but otherwise it wasn't a problem going over it with the PC.

Just make sure you get the 3M tape. I remember reading somewhere that someone used some off brand and when they hit it with the PC it left a bunch of tiny blue bits on their pad and on the car. Not sure if the tape surface flaked off or what.

ltoman
11-13-2006, 01:17 PM
good to know! thanks. :cheers:
the last thing i want is blue spots all over the car!!!-Lauren