PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Hot RimsŪ Aluminum Wheel Cleaner

thewaxmania
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm wondering if the Meguiars Hot RimsŪ Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is a good choice for cleaning uncoated aluminum wheels on motorcycles. I know in the past I've had a Harley Davidson with an uncoated aluminum wheel in the rear and chrome spoke wheel in the front and that rear wheel was almost impossible to clean without taking it off the bike. Now I have customers and friends with Harley's that have uncoated wheels like on the touring bikes, Fatboy's and some other softail models and I came across this product and wondered how well it would work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Emile
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I am not sure sure that a wheel cleaner is necessary for cleaning motorcycle wheels. It seems to be more about finding the right wash brush or sponge that can easily access and clean the wheel, and using an appropriate solution of quality car wash soap and water.

Despite what many manufacturers claim, 90% (or more) of the wheel cleaners out there are not going to do a proper job cleaning the wheel without some manual agitation on your part.

This being said, you may want to find a wheel cleaner for motorcycles that is safe on all wheels, and can be purchased in larger quantities if needed. For example, the S100 Gel Wheel Cleaner is a good choice at only $10 for 500mL of product, and if you want a larger size, you can just order the 5L size of P21S Gel, which according to P21S, is the same exact formula.

I only steer you to a different product because the Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is only for uncoated polished aluminum wheels whereas there are other wheel cleaners that are safe for all wheels. This cuts down on the amount of products you have on your shelf and will do the same or better at cleaning.

ScottB
07-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I prefer P21S Gel or Griots Wheel Cleaner on my uncoated car wheels, and would offer the same for a bike. I like the safety of the products and lack of heavy acids in product. You will however need a brush and some agitation is required for best results.

thewaxmania
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I do plan on agitating, its just that Harley Davidson has wheels that get incredibly dirty when left unattended for years and years and I have had no success with the S100 gel wheel cleaner meant for motorcycles and soap and water simply do not work well enough. I will probably try the Griot's Wheel Cleaner since I've had good luck with those products in the past.

Thanks.

ScottB
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
If the brake dust is that defined you might wanna consider Sonax or Poorboys Spray/Rinse. Sonax suggests it is compatible with all wheel types, I might suggest emailing Poorboys or Pockets on site to make sure if you go that route.

Griots is quite similar to P21S which is similar to S100 IMO.