PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Leather Conditioner ... and why?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mindflux
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I've completely spaced the fact that I'll be needing to clean and condition the leather in my wifes new 2010 VW Jetta at some point. It's been nearly a decade since I owned a car with leather/pleather.

At any rate, I have some old Lexol Leather Cleaner and the separate Leather Conditioner, but I was never ga-ga over it.

I know leatherique is a popular one, but I think it's overkill if you have the original intention of cleaning/conditioning your leather with some regularity.

So here I am asking you what you like to use to CONDITION your leather? I have some Optimum Protectant Plus which works on leather, but nothing in the description on Optimum's site, or autogeek's site says it actually CONDITIONS the leather.

So please, share your thoughts. I have read the 4* Leather Condtioner gel is a popular item, it's out of stock on Autogeek's store even.. but that could be because it was nearly 50% off... or just because it's popular? I don't know.

Julesh
07-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I have used pinnacle's stuff. They have 3 types. Cleaner, Conditioner and Cleaner/Conditioner. I used the cleaner/conditioner.

For me, the important factors are:

Price
Smell
Look
Ease of Use

Pinnacle's products are very well priced. They leave a subtle smell that is not overwhelming that fades quickly. Some leather cleaners I have used smell terrible and the wife complained for a month until the smell faded. It gave the seats a subtle shine that did not look greasy. It cleaned quite well. You could definitely see a difference. Some fine scratches in the leather that were concealed by grime were visible after I used it. It was very easy to use. Just wipe on and wipe off. It worked so well that I used it on my wife's handbags. One in particular is white and she took it to NYC on a trip and it came back grey and covered in smog. The Pinnacle cleaner/conditioner brought it right back to life.

ScottB
07-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Leatherique annually, and Einszett Leathercare monthly. Most automotive leather is coated anyhow and should be treated with products designed for this ... on uncoated leather I like Connollys Hide Food.

Pristine Image
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
For my truck's leather seats I like to use Meguiar's Rich Aloe Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (two products). Easy on, easy off, and they leave the seats looking really nice, IMO. There's no lingering smell either.

wytstang
07-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I use Leather Master's VITAL once every 8 months to a year and LM's Protection cream once a month. It really doesn't have a smell so I'll use Opt PP every 2 weeks for a leather scent.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Optimum protectant plus is perfectly fine for coated(finished) leather if the coating is clean, IMO. It has slight cleaning ability.....

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html), I really like the smell and it leaves my leather nice and smooth with a matte finish.

daveCFPrez
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Thats it! Leatherique all the way.

Leatherique.

Streetlife
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html), I really like the smell and it leaves my leather nice and smooth with a matte finish.

I used that one on my leather couch this past weekend. I use Prima Nourish more than any other leather conditioner. The Nourish has lasted the longest of the two leather conditioning products i have used (i have a sample of Wolfgang to try next). Of course i use a mild APC to clean the leather before i apply. When detailing leather in vehicles, i like to use the leather recommended brush attachment for the PC. The next time i use the Pinnacle, i'll do a detailed review, it's a great product, I recommend it for convenience and good durability.

Mindflux
07-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I am glad you brought up nourish. It's on my short list of leather conditioners to try.

BobbyG
07-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Leatherique on all the leather and Meguiar's M40 on all the vinyl, runner, and plastic.

Leatherique cleans and treats the leather and leaves it smooth and nicely conditioned. Meguiar's M40 works great giving everything with a nice soft glow and doesn't leave the surface sticky to the touch afterwards. M40 has a nice leather scent that will complement the scent Leatherique leaves behind.

kronos
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Leatherique Pristine Clean for the win! I haven't tried many leather cleaners/protectants so my answer should be taken with a grain of salt, but it is a great product that leaves a great finish. Pristine clean has cleaning, conditioning, and UV protection abilities. It's also perfect for finished leather, which is what most leather is made of in modern cars. It leaves a matte shine and a fresh leather scent.

I have tried:
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil
Meguiar's Gold Class cleaner/conditioner
Optimum Protectant Plus (also awesome)
Pinnacle conditioner
Lexol cleaners and conditioners
DP Total Interior Protectant

and a few more, but I can't remember.

CEE DOG
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
For a leather protectant: UIGP

Mindflux
07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
For a leather protectant: UIGP

But does it condition too? I don't think protecting and conditioning are necessarily one in the same.

Mindflux
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Optimum Protectant Plus (also awesome)

See, I have OPP, but nowhere in the products description does it say it CONDITIONS leather. It says it protects it, but that's not necessarily the same. Protection can just be UV inhibitors, where conditioning is a bit more then that... more or less 'feeding' the leather.