PDA

View Full Version : What determines a pads cutting ability?

Christopher
07-27-2010, 12:28 AM
What makes a pad cutting vs non cutting? What is different about the foam? I am looking for the scientific why it happens/What happens... It is perplexing to me
Here are some of the things I could think of:
Pad density
Pore size
And a thought crossed my mind: polishing grit embedded into the pad

Furthermore: What happens to a polish/compound when used with a higher/lower cutting pad? Does it behave differently?

Rsurfer
07-27-2010, 02:12 AM
What makes a pad cutting vs non cutting? What is different about the foam? I am looking for the scientific why it happens/What happens... It is perplexing to me
Here are some of the things I could think of:
Pad density
Pore size
And a thought crossed my mind: polishing grit embedded into the pad

Furthermore: What happens to a polish/compound when used with a higher/lower cutting pad? Does it behave differently?
Your right on the density and pore size per sq. in. Yes, the more aggressive the pad the more the cut. IMO it is easier to buff with a less aggressive pad using the same compound/polish.

ScottB
07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
in general the foam could be firmer, harsher, and essentially stronger to offer a more aggressive approach versus a lighter pad.

Pad choice is clearly as important and polish choice, and both used together can really make something more or less aggressive based on the two working together in unison.

The BSMachine
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
^ Agreed, I do heavy research and not only the chemical/pad combo makes a difference. Speed and pressure can as well.

Thats why its always good to do a test spot and also practice if your using a new product, a new company, or on a paint you have never worked with before.

One size does not fit all. (Thats what she said lol)